Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steiner Group in Galway

Options
  • 20-03-2009 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

A parent and toddler group taking a Steiner Waldorf approach to early education has started up in Galway. We get together in Galway city centre in Ard Bia (above Nimmo's restaurant at the Spanish Arch) on Wednesday at 10.30. In the library on Augustine Street on Thursdays at 11 and again in Ard Bia on Friday at 10.30. Anne, who runs the group, is very dedicated and great with the kids. Personally I go to the Wednesday group as this is the one that suits me best.

On Wednesdays and Fridays there is singing, baking and crafts.
    On Thursdays it is singing and storytelling. There's no set fee, but donations are welcome.

The hope is to set up a not-for-profit organisation soon and then to open a kindergarten in due course.

Whether you are interested in the parent and toddler group or kindergarten or just in a day out, there is workshop organised for Sunday 29th March at 10 a.m. and runs until 4 p.m. All parents welcome (not suitable for children). There will be a talk on Creative Parenting of the under 7s and it includes wool felting. It will be an introduction to Steiner Education. The cost is €25 for members of ISKA (Irish Steiner Kindergarten Association) and €50 for non-members (you can join on the day).

After the workshop, there is a public meeting to elect a voluntary committee. Again all are welcome to this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Is there any word of another Steiner school opening in Dublin?? I know there was one but it was moved to Kildare? I really want to send my child to a Steiner school after seeing how well my cousins are getting on in the one in Kildare!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

hi are these play mornings still going on?times dates the same?thanks, my daughter is 18nths is that too young??i don't know much aboiut the steiner method but would like to learn more.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 hiagain

The group now meet:

Thursday 11 am in the library
    Friday 10.30 am in the Spirit Centre, Nun's Island

There are plenty that age, so just play it by ear. She'd definitely like the singing which happens in both the library and the Spirit Centre. The move to the Spirit Centre was specifically for some outdoor space.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 merchant07

Do you have a minimum age for children and any news on kindergarten?My 4yr old is attending preschool at the moment and has specific language impairment .He is a very creative child and loves music.He learns new words better when I sing them to him

Hi merchant,

There is a lot of activity on setting up a kindergarten at the moment. pm me and I will put you on the mailing list.

There is no minimum age for the toddler group. We don't know what the age limits will be on the kindergarten yet. It may be a 'pre-kindergarten' at first, but the numbers interested would determine that I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 merchant07

Where is pm link on thread sorry cant see it new to boards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭PullOutMethod

Don't know much about Steiner.
    What's their attitude to academic area (reading, numbers etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 littlebee

You can find out more about Steiner Ed here.... http://steinerireland.org/faq/HTH!

Apologies for delay in getting back.

The email address is steinernagaillimhe@gmail.com

For anyone that's interested there is a family day in Brigit's Garden next Saturday and a workshop on Sunday for adults. A teacher from the kindergarten in Callan, Kilkenny will be giving the workshop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 SaoirseWaldorf

To adrieanne__x. Sorry about the late response but there is a Steiner School opening Dublin. It is in Dublin 8 and it's opening on the 28th of September. If you'd like more info, the website is www.saoirsewaldorfschool.org. Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

To adrieanne__x. Sorry about the late response but there is a Steiner School opening Dublin. It is in Dublin 8 and it's opening on the 28th of September. If you'd like more info, the website is www.saoirsewaldorfschool.org. Cheers

Will it be a school or just a kindergarten?

Advertisement