Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grey Plastic hot and cold water pipe

Options
  • 20-03-2009 6:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Just about to fit a new bathroom suite which will entail moving the plumbing.

The hot and cold water pipes are a grey plastic. I have just spoken to a neighbour and he tells me that the fittings are near impossible to get!:( I have been working on the assumption I could get them almost anywhere.

I've removed the bath and so exposed the piping for the bath and sink but cannot see any markings on the pipe.

Can anyone tell me the correct name for this gray plastic pipe and where if anywhere I can get connections?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭ponyirl

its most likly to be acorn pipe irelands answer to qualplex if so standard fittings used with pipe inserts are fine how old is the pipe work ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭tlyons

Great thanks.

The pipe work like the house is ~15yrs old. Any idea of the life span of this stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭ponyirl

not sure of the life span its old enough too but i'd say you'll get it converted easy enough to newer stuff . does your neighbour have the same pipe in his house ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭landydef

ive come across this stuff as being both irish 3/4 inch and metric 22mm so it might be worth getting a sample of both fittings and see which has the snugger fit

Yeah as far as I can tell all the neighbours (approx 70) have the same grey pipe.

Just had a dig around in the rubble under where the bath was and found a few off cuts of pipe!

Now I know the pipe is called ACORN, I've been searching around and found that with pipe inserts I can use compression joints. Do you agree?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭landydef

yeah compression joints can be used with the inserts inside but compression fittings come in irish 3/4 inch and metric 22mm so you might be best of to bring the off-cuts to the supplier the see which size is a better fit,
    as long as the pipe hasnt being exposed to extreme temperetures (outside etc.) i wouldnt worry about its life span really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

This grey piping is called HEP2o, it used to be called Acorn. Its made by Hepworth in the Uk whom Wavin now own.
    Its Polyebuthelene pipe, not pex and is very managable. Go into any decent plumbers merchant and they'll have any fittings you need - metric or irish size.
    Irish size has only become available in the last 8 years or so, so if you house was plumbed prior to that, its metric you're dealing with.

It a top quality product - I've used it extemsively.
    http://www.hep2o.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Dixy

The only stockists of acorn in Dublin that i know of are Masseys plumbing and heating in ballycoolin. Acorn comes in 2 types as above mentioned - Blueish for metric and grayish for imperial. I know Masseys carry both types of fitting in stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

All Heatmerchants and Chadwicks plumbcentres stock Hep2o in Dublin and nationwide.

Great thanks for all the info.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 alskisail

Very interesting to see the current use of Polybutylene pipe
    In North Amaerica this pipe has been banned for water distribution systems since mid 1990's.
    Pipe & fittings leak after 10+ years of use.
    Pipe & fittings breakdown ( exposure to Chlorine & other water disinfecting chemicals)
    There are several successfull large class actions against the manufacturers -see link for example. http://www.poynerbaxter.com/Polybutylene.htm.

I hope the poly pipe you are using is resistant to chemical attack!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

alskisail wrote: »
    Very interesting to see the current use of Polybutylene pipe
    In North Amaerica this pipe has been banned for water distribution systems since mid 1990's.
    Pipe & fittings leak after 10+ years of use.
    Pipe & fittings breakdown ( exposure to Chlorine & other water disinfecting chemicals)
    There are several successfull large class actions against the manufacturers -see link for example. http://www.poynerbaxter.com/Polybutylene.htm.

I hope the poly pipe you are using is resistant to chemical attack!

Thats one hell of a post for your first. Have you any more information on this and any knowledge of how the european standard compares.

Have you any more links as to why its banned.

Advertisement