Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on venting room with gas heating

Options
  • 20-03-2009 7:04pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    My mum has been told by Bord Gais that she needs to get her living room ventilated as the boiler is in there, and there's also a gas fire she uses occasionally. There used to be a vent but when she got a conservatory built, the wall it was on was removed and the vent was never re-sited.

Since she now has little or no external wall to put a vent into, is it OK to vent the bottom of an internal door (to the front hall) and then vent to outside in the next room, at a point directly across from the door vent?

Also, any ideas how big a vent needs to be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Best to vent direct from the room to outside, this is very important for the complete combustion of the gas.
    If you vent as suggested a draught will result when fire is on and sure as eggs is eggs a draught excluder will be draped across the door :rolleyes:.

I would do this immediately or not use the fire until you have it done it is a significant safety issue, makes me wonder why bord gas were out to her in the first place?

A 4" vent should be fine

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Bord Gais were upgrading pipes in the area, that's why they were there.
    I'll need to get out there and have a good look, but there's precious little outside wall left since the conservatory went in IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

you could try put in a core vent, like this one:-

http://www.gasproducts.co.uk/acatalog/Stadium_BM418_W_127mm_Core_Drill_Ventilator.html

from memory it needs a 5 inch hole cut in the brick/block work....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Thanks, look like I've a bit of drilling and bashing ahead of me for the weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Gaspode wrote: »
    Thanks, look like I've a bit of drilling and bashing ahead of me for the weekend!

Yea them core vents aren't bad.... i think there's a smaller one too on the web-site, but i'm not sure if it would comply with gas regulations interms of flow rate of air....

They are very easy to install, just make a whole roughly the right size, cut the tube to length, cement it in place.

• Advertisement
Advertisement