Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chelsea tomorrow

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 The Lilywhite

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Of course we want Europe, surely im not the only one that wants european football :rolleyes:
    Id love European football again, a couple of games ago we were talking about relegation, now we're talking about European football, this is what makes it great to be a Spurs fan , COYS :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

BERBA wrote: »
    I dont want uefa cup footie next season ...not if harry is gonna put out a reserve side which he will do if were anywhere near the top 4 next season and challenging , which we all gotta believe were capable of with the quality in the side. Uefa cup or europa cup next season as its calle will be a distraction we dont need.

I have to say, I find it mind-boggling that some Spurs fans dont want to be in Europe next season !!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

I have to say, I find it mind-boggling that some Spurs fans dont want to be in Europe next season !!!!!!!!!!

Mind boggling me ar$e !..get real .

Mate i was at the 2nd leg game v shaktar last month and wasted a good few quid on watching our reserve team make a mockery of the competition that night and why? ,because harry was worried about us going down ( no chance of that ever happening)and the carling cup final ( over 90 minutes) which we lost however well we played on the day. With AC Milan exiting the comp we had a great chance of winning that comp with a full side out. Whats the point of entering it if harry has no interest in it? Coz i can guarantee you if we get off to a good start in prem league next season which is quite possible and we're up there , harry won't give 2 monkeys about the uefa cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

It's not that i don't want us to be in europe next season it's just if we really plan on taking on the top 4 we need to just concentrate on the league and that would mean we'd play less games in the middle of the week. That means king could be playing most matches and it's like Jol said
    "Tottenham play twice as good when ledley plays"

I think that it would end up as a distraction if we play in europe just my feelings not like i'd be dissapointed if we got there.

It's not that i don't want us to be in europe next season it's just if we really plan on taking on the top 4 we need to just concentrate on the league and that would mean we'd play less games in the middle of the week. That means king could be playing most matches and it's like Jol said

I think that it would end up as a distraction if we play in europe just my feelings not like i'd be dissapointed if we got there.

totally agree.

a lot of "mind boggling " spurs supporters feel that way !. a club like ours with the resources we have should be challenging for top 4 . we played 40 games a couple of seasons back under jolly and came 5th. less games we play imo the more chance we have of crackin that top 4.

• Advertisement

I dont know lads, i completely dis-agree. European football next season would be a huge plus. Firstly, We are a long long way away from the top 4 at the minute. Not long ago, we were talking about getting relegated, and now we have a sniff of finishing top 7, should we not take 1 step at a time ???

If we are to be a top 4 side like we all want us to be, we should be able to cope with European football aswell as the league campaign, the so called top 4 do it every season without any problems, and still compete on the domestic front.

Look at our history in Europe.....and yet here we are saying we dont want to qualify for the Uefa Cup.....beggars belief.

We need to massively improve our squad. Look at Villa this season. They were flying up to recently, but they look very leggy now, and ONeill does'nt seem to have the same quality on his bench to freshen things up, hence they wont get 4th.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

It's magnificent to be in Europe, and this club - a club like Tottenham Hotspur - if we're not in Europe? we're nothing. We're nothing.

Sir Bill Nicholson.

Sir Bill Nicholson.

Perfect quote to pull out of the woodwork, European Football should always be a part of THFC's season.

QUOTE]

Easy tiger, we are all entitled to our opinions....

p.s. Surely you gotta change your name ;)

cxcully wrote: »
    What are the permutations/mathematics required to get us into Europe next year?

5th and 6th place in league go to Europa League next year Mike.

The third place goes to FA Cup winners or runners-up if winners are already in Europe. Everton are the only side still in the FA Cup who could reach the final AND possibly not qualify from the league (say if they dropped to 7th place) That said, I can't see any side make up the gap and catch the Toffees, so that means 7th place in the league will get the remaining spot (FA Cup spot reverts to league)

Wigan, West Ham, Fulham, City and Spurs are the challengers IMO, crucially we have to play West Ham and City at home. I think we are capable of at least 13pts from our remaining fixtures, which would put us on 51pts. we might get something at Everton as well, but I don't see any return from Old Trafford or Anfield.

• Advertisement

QUOTE]

Easy tiger, we are all entitled to our opinions....

p.s. Surely you gotta change your name ;)

Ha Ha spot on hatch, think i'm in the same boat as Keane=cock.

Any help in changing name would be most helpfull, wouldnt want anyone thinkin i supported the scum !

Sir Bill Nicholson.

Someone at the club should have reminded Harry of above before he put out the under 12's in the 2 legged tie v shaktar last month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭yiddo

Someone at the club should have reminded Harry of above before he put out the under 12's in the 2 legged tie v shaktar last month

or maybe included a UEFA cup winning bonus as part of Harry's bonus package?

You're free to look back over the forum for my thoughts on that very subject.

Don't see how that should lead any Spurs fan to show disrespect for the clubs traditions though.

yiddo wrote: »
    or maybe included a UEFA cup winning bonus as part of Harry's bonus package?

Yeah can I ask about this? The first I had heard of it was when my Dad mentioned it to me over the weekend. I googled and found a mirror.co.uk link that said he's on £4million to escape relegation!!!! No wonder he wanted to concentrate on the league :D

Don't see how that should lead any Spurs fan to show disrespect for the clubs traditions though.

Is it not the spurs manager showing disrespect for the clubs traditions by playing weekened team in europe?.

Is it not the spurs manager showing disrespect for the clubs traditions by playing weekened team in europe?.

I say again:

Agreed, I stated in the Shakhtar match thread that I thought it was a disgrace...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭cxcully

5th and 6th place in league go to Europa League next year Mike.

The third place goes to FA Cup winners or runners-up if winners are already in Europe. Everton are the only side still in the FA Cup who could reach the final AND possibly not qualify from the league (say if they dropped to 7th place) That said, I can't see any side make up the gap and catch the Toffees, so that means 7th place in the league will get the remaining spot (FA Cup spot reverts to league)

Wigan, West Ham, Fulham, City and Spurs are the challengers IMO, crucially we have to play West Ham and City at home. I think we are capable of at least 13pts from our remaining fixtures, which would put us on 51pts. we might get something at Everton as well, but I don't see any return from Old Trafford or Anfield.

Cheers Ronan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Perfect quote to pull out of the woodwork, European Football should always be a part of THFC's season.

But the uefa cup is a joke now - it's not the same as it was. It's for the no hoper little clubs to squabble over while the big guns go for the CL. Sadly because of UEFA's greed it's CL or nothing.

Our great European Traditions your're referring to happened when the game was different (better) and the UEFA and ECWC were great competitions.

If we get into Europe this season it will be a great acheivment but I can't say I'll be looking forward to the Bargin Basement Europa League next season and all the rubbish Sunday league games it causes.

Much better chance to challenging top 4 if we swerve the Uefa cup next season.

But the uefa cup is a joke now - it's not the same as it was. It's for the no hoper little clubs to squabble over while the big guns go for the CL. Sadly because of UEFA's greed it's CL or nothing.

It's not UEFA's greed Shane, the CL is as it is because of the clubs. UEFA are merely trying to stem the tide.

And the CL causes plenty of rearranged fixtures as well.

It's not UEFA's greed Shane, the CL is as it is because of the clubs. UEFA are merely trying to stem the tide.

And the CL causes plenty of rearranged fixtures as well.

My main point that UEFA cup is a shadow if what it was and is really a bit of an embarresmsnt. Every football fan knows this. So many unheard of clubs/thurs nights/CL drop outs/half full stadiums/20+ games to get to the final/ etc... Do we really want to be a part of that again ? I know I don't, I'm completely over it. I was excited about qualification a few years ago - but now it's a bit of a joke. Good pissups across europe are proabally the only plus.

As I said we have a much better chance to progressing through the league if we don't have the hassle of UEFA.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭galinka

What a great day Saturday - except for the bomb scare which meant i missed the 1st half of the grand slam before getting back to London.
    I've only seen 3 Chelsea games ever and we've won all 3 - 3 point lane my arse!!

Player recap -
    Gomes made a couple of good saves but he still fumbles a lot of ball.
    Back 4 were superb - great to have 2 FB's to play alongside the 2 CB's - only 3 goals conceded in last 5 lge games.

MF - what a difference Palacios makes (mind you he's as bad as Zokora at passing)

Up front i'm no fan of Bent but i truly acknowledge his workrate and Robbie's on Saturday.

I said a few weeks ago we'd finish with 51 pts - i now think we can make 53 pts and that will be good enough for 7th.

I agree with Shane i would prefer no Europa place - with a fixture free season we can definitely make the top 4 next season - another 8/10 fixtures in a totally crap competition will not help us in any way - particularly when we are fielding joke sides.

I love Arry - reads the game and speaks f English i can nearly understand.

The fans on Saturday were brilliant - there was a Cork chap and his son/nephew in front of me who were stone mad - never mind the Norwegians surrounding me!!

Saving myself for Man City game - last home one for 2009.

My last word on this:

Professional football should be played to win. Winning games means we climb the table, and possibly get 7th place and a place in next season's Europa League, do we throw a game or two before the season's end to avoid that?

It's 18 years since we won an FA Cup, since then we've won 2 league cups and lost in 2 other finals...IMHO, the Europa League is of equal or greater importance than the Carling Cup, yet we celebrated winning that last year?

There's a shocking lack of consistency on display here.

And they don't hand out trophies for 4th place finishes, we might remember that next time we decide to slag off Arsenal for another season with an empty trophy cabinet.

My main point that UEFA cup is a shadow if what it was and is really a bit of an embarresmsnt. Every football fan knows this. So many unheard of clubs/thurs nights/CL drop outs/half full stadiums/20+ games to get to the final/ etc... Do we really want to be a part of that again ? I know I don't, I'm completely over it. I was excited about qualification a few years ago - but now it's a bit of a joke. Good pissups across europe are proabally the only plus.

As I said we have a much better chance to progressing through the league if we don't have the hassle of UEFA.

I like to look at us as being similar to Sevilla. :D

They used the Uefa Cup in 04/05,05/06 and 06/07 to develop there squad while at the same time worked on improving there league position year on year. Yes Spain and England are very different, but my point is that if we want to develop as a club and aim for top 4, we need to use the Uefa Cup to aid our development.

Oh and also, I meant to add, sod the CL ;) , the final of the Europa League 2011 is in Landsdowne, imagine that if we were in the final :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

what if we do break the big 4 n have to play champions league then? surely its not gonna be a case of better off not playing in it because we are a step closer to winning the league.

i also have stated my wish to change my name berba. it came back to bite me in the ass!:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I find it hard to believe lads that on a weekend we beat Chelsea we find ourselves argusing about the possibility of qualifing for europe.

for what its worth, IMO we have to go for a win in everygame If we qualify for europe and go try win that, they owe it to the supports/past players/ players who would give their right bloody arm for a chance to play in europe.

• Advertisement

I would like to see Harry play micky mouse sides in all cup games (up to semis) and use them as a development tool for the Academy/Youth sides. Our big guns must be saved for league games.

I'm afraid that going all out to win every game in every competion (although honourable) is slightly nieve. The modern game is just not that simple. We've had a couple of great visits to Wembley in the past year via the league cup but we need to go beyond this.

To kick on we must aim higher and the league is ever PL clubs no. 1 priority. So in order to win more league games, loose less league games, score more league goals and conceed less league goals Harry will need to play weakened teams on the other competitions.

I'll have no problem with this (so long as the league form is good obviously) and I've seen plenty over the past couple of months to suggest that it will.

Each to their own at the end of the day - and this is my view on the subject and I've got a feeling Harry sees it this way too.

Got a good feeling about the next 12 /14 months at Spurs.

Advertisement