Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big-Headed Predator 100 years in the making

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Galvasean wrote:
    though what it's massive head 'shield' was used for is still something of a mystery

it's just Anomalocaris in disguise ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Anomalocaris in new hat shocker! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

That's a peculiar looking thing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I remember as a fossil mad kid being fascinated by the Burgess Shale revelations. Even today, many years later that glimpse into Cambrian life is still fascinating and still surprising.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Wibbs wrote: »
    I remember as a fossil mad kid being fascinated by the Burgess Shale revelations. Even today, many years later that glimpse into Cambrian life is still fascinating and still surprising.

The creatures from the Burgess Shale are stranger than most aliens you see in Sci-Fi and compared to them dinosaurs are boringly similar. They remind me of something Dougal said

"They say it's as big as four cats, and it's got a retractable leg so as it can leap up at you better and you know what Ted, it lights up at night, and it's got four ears. Two of them are for listening and the other two are kind of back-up ears, and it's claws are as big as cups and for some reason it's got a tremendous fear of stamps and Mrs. Doyle was tellin' me that it's got magnets on it's tail so as if you're made out of metal it can attach itself to you, and instead of a mouth it's got four arses. "

opabin2.jpg
    opabin3.jpg
    Our ancestor is the white guy on the right.

• Advertisement
Advertisement