Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheat free lunch ideas

• 20-03-2009 8:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭

I've suffered badly with stomach discomfort within the past week.

My lunch up until this week was two sandwhiches (made with a
    slice of ham or turkey and brown bread). I've cut down on the amount of bread that I was eating this week but it hasn't made a difference. So I'm going to cut out bread and other wheat products for the next week to see if it helps.

I'm hoping I might get some wheat free lunch ideas here. For the past week for lunch I usually had a slice of bread with a small vegetable soup or a salad containing lettuce, peppers, and cucumber (which wasn't really that nice, might replace peppers with something else for the next week though).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

If you read some of the low carb threads, you'll see a lot of ideas.

My kids often take a tuna, rice and sweetcorn salad to school for lunch.

I tend to buy a bag of washed salad and eat that with fish or cheese or whatever I have in the fridge.

Some crispbreads are made with rye, not wheat, so they might work. Read the labels first, almost anything labeled "Wholegrain" means wheat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

There are now wheat free corn cakes as opposed to rice cakes but they're quite high in calories nad presumably have low gi. oat cakes with natural peanut butter or hummous would be my preferred option. I also eat sushi and some soup.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭white apples

An alternative to sambos that I use is a salad type thing but not with lettuce cos I find it boring and doesen't fill me at all!

chop a pepper (red or yellow) and put it into a tuberware container with a small tin of tuna, some olives, feta cheese, ad a little olive oil and ground black or mixed pepper and some fresh ground chilli flakes and shake it all around. You can also ad some sort of beans if you want more protein, kidney, chickpea, butter beans or whatever.

Lovely, and you'll be surprised at how full you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭toodelies

Hi there,

i have been restricted to a wheat free diet for the last few months nad work in an office with no toaster or micro! what i have ben doing is making homemade soup leaving loads of tasty chunks in it and bringing it in a flask. have also started eating SuperQuinn Spelt Bread with honey - its amazing and i can tolerate it. :) there are alternatives to eating wheat breads. the SuperQuinn spelt is the best i have come across though. other days i would bring a slice or two of the bread with some tomato, mozerella, rocket and basil (also mix in some spring onions or peppers sometimes) and bring a little tub of oliveoil and balsamic mixed together - lash the topping on and pour over the dressing, its lovely. i find salads really not nice - with tuna i would it mix low fat mayo (plus spring onions, sweetcorm, peppers) and mix it up with wheat free pasta. also nice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭*Honey*

What about making wraps with Corn Tortillas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

A lot of them still have wheat in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

I try not to eat too much wheat as I end up feeling very bloated from it. It's actually not too bad when you get into the hang of things but I was never too big a fan of bread and pasta anyway. Gluten free pasta is available in health food shops and most major supermarkets these days. They have a section dedicated to them. Rye bread is also getting easier to find. You could make a little more of whatever you're having for dinner the night before, heat it in the microwave the night before and then bring it in in a thermos. That's what I do for college and it's grand.

Advertisement