Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My GT6

• 20-03-2009 8:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've had my GT6 up for sale on Adverts for a while now with no particular urgency to sell. I've just found a Volvo P1800S which fits very nicely into my plans and have two weeks to shift the GT6. I've just dropped the price by 1k and am genuinely losing a fortune on it (documentation to prove).

Anyone who's been tempted up to this might like to take the plunge.

I've also got an ex TR6 engine that I rebuilt myself for just over 2K - brand new TR5 PI camshaft, bored out to +60, new pistons (obviously), new oil pump, unleaded head converted and head and deck skimmed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

is the 1k drop in the current price on adverts or is it to be taken away from advertised price?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭245

I reduced the advertised price by 1k so the price displayed is the reduced price - apologies if that caused confusion - I wondered about it myself but its what other people did when they price dropped so I went with the flow.

I think that its a steal at the current price (sellers always think that though!). I'm making a substantial loss and its as good as can be bought without paying massive money for a minter. Anyone who's viewed a few will recognise that when they see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

looks lovely..would love one myself...love the shape

They're a great shape - Michelotti knew his stuff (on the original design) and the Kamm tail facelife kept the purity of the profile. Some people call it the poor man's E Type because of the long bonnet look.

They've a lot of advantages - nearly 100% parts availability at reasonable prices, Meccano like simplicity to build and maintain, compact dimensions mean that it'll fit nicely into a corner of the garage, the torquey straight six sounds fantastic and overdrive makes it a long legged cruiser. Its surprisingly nippy and not that heavy on fuel. Being low to the ground means that you can feel like you're going quickly at legal speeds - bit like the Mini. They're just a bit different which can be nice.

Disadvantages are that you'd need to be fit to climb in and out - its not a car for anyone over 6 feet tall unless they're handy at yoga, the suspension is best on smoothish roads - it wouldn't like big potholes. The cabin can get quite warm in slow traffic on hot days and that's about it, in my experience. Like any British car, they can rust and can have the usual oil leaks and electrical gremlins courtesy of Lucas (as a Volvo fan, I have a lot of respect for Bosch).

Definitely worth putting on your list of potential future classics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

Have to admit that Triumph is my fave car brand.

My bro remembers me sitting on Dad's lap as I steered his 2000 whilst bombing down the Naas dual carriage way in the mid '70s.
    I might have been about 6 at the time.
    What would the Safety Nazis say about that today?:eek::eek::eek::eek:

He got rid of the last 2000 in '84, when I was 16. Replaced it with a Fiat Argenta. Remember them?

Think Triumph made a catastrophic mistake by releasing the Stag with such a hopeless engine. WHY didn't they just slot the Rover V8 into it???

Speaking of which, OP, you got any interest in swapping your lovely car for a nicely sorted P6?....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

[thread hijack]One of my earliest memories is of my Dad hitting 100mph in his Mk1 2000, me in the back standing between the front seats:rolleyes: he had 4 of them thru the 70's[unhijack]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Replaced it with a Fiat Argenta. Remember them?
    Heres one..
    80365870.uVdQYoK8.06Bowser2.jpg

Just joking,always liked them,havnt seen one for years though.
    fiat-argenta-2000.jpg

Have to admit that Triumph is my fave car brand.

My bro remembers me sitting on Dad's lap as I steered his 2000 whilst bombing down the Naas dual carriage way in the mid '70s.
    I might have been about 6 at the time.
    What would the Safety Nazis say about that today?:eek::eek::eek::eek:

He got rid of the last 2000 in '84, when I was 16. Replaced it with a Fiat Argenta. Remember them?

Think Triumph made a catastrophic mistake by releasing the Stag with such a hopeless engine. WHY didn't they just slot the Rover V8 into it???

Speaking of which, OP, you got any interest in swapping your lovely car for a nicely sorted P6?....

One of my neighbours had a few Fiat 132s - don't think he ever got an Argenta - his cars always sounded great.

The Stag engine was the usual internal politics problem - its not that its a bad engine but was woefully underdeveloped. Seem to be ok now that they've been owner developed....

I like the P6 a lot - my Dad had a beautiful white '73 V8 with black vinyl roof, green tinted glass and Denovo tyres with the S hubcaps (1797 ZU where are you now?). I loved that car and never warmed to the '78 brown SD1 that replaced it.

Problem is that I've an option on a P1800S that I've my heart set on. If that falls through then I might have a look at your P6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

Was chancing my arm a bit there:D:D:D:D

Still, we'll see how things pan out. I'm based in Carlow, so not too far away.

BTW, Dad drove the Argenta till '97.
    Only got rid of it cos he knew it wouldn't pass the new NCT cos of all the rust!
    He knew how to get value out of his motors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Merrion

Somebody please buy it before it causes me to get into trouble with my wife ....

(I've one that has been off the road for so long now that I'm banned from even looking at them...pity, as it is unquestionably the best fun-to-drive car I ever owned)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

Heres one..
    80365870.uVdQYoK8.06Bowser2.jpg

Just joking,always liked them,havnt seen one for years though.
    fiat-argenta-2000.jpg

Theres a really nice blue 84 reg one in the Kilbeggan/Horseleap area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

....er, what happens on 3rd April ? :confused:

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    ....er, what happens on 3rd April ? :confused:

The seller of the P1800S is free to sell the car to someone else and I'll have to wait a good while before getting another like it - I've looked at a few but I want a good early one in either white or dark grey with cowhorn bumpers - its not easy to get everything falling into place at the same time.

Advertisement