Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet Broadband on an iPhone

Options
  • 20-03-2009 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hi,

I have broadband by Magnet. It works fine for my wired computer and a wireless MacBook. When I try to connect to wifi using my iPhone, however, it always reverts to Edge, as opposed to wifi. It looks like it connects properly, but as soon as I try to open a page in Safari, it just reverts to Edge.

I have tried turning off and on the router... and restoring my iPhone settings... and renewing the dhcp license thingie on my iPhone settings... I have tried it with 2 other iPhones and get the same results. My iPhone works fine with my wireless broadband at work.

Someone told me that I should change the MAC settings on my router, but I don't seem to be able to do that. I read that Magnet disallow customers from accessing that.

I contacted Magnet but they said they can't provide iPhone support for some reason...

Has anyone used an iPhone with Magnet broadband? Or has anyone any advice for what I can try next?

Thanks a million!

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Hi,

I have broadband by Magnet. It works fine for my wired computer and a wireless MacBook. When I try to connect to wifi using my iPhone, however, it always reverts to Edge, as opposed to wifi. It looks like it connects properly, but as soon as I try to open a page in Safari, it just reverts to Edge.

I have tried turning off and on the router... and restoring my iPhone settings... and renewing the dhcp license thingie on my iPhone settings... I have tried it with 2 other iPhones and get the same results. My iPhone works fine with my wireless broadband at work.

Someone told me that I should change the MAC settings on my router, but I don't seem to be able to do that. I read that Magnet disallow customers from accessing that.

I contacted Magnet but they said they can't provide iPhone support for some reason...

Has anyone used an iPhone with Magnet broadband? Or has anyone any advice for what I can try next?

Thanks a million!

I have Magnet BB and it works fine on my iphone. Are you in a new fibre development or are you an LLU (eircom exchange) customer?

The guys in support wouldnt be able to help you because they dont know anything about the iphone, they say they cant support it because its not our equipment and if they were to risk it they could be responsible for damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Rorser wrote: »
    I have Magnet BB and it works fine on my iphone. Are you in a new fibre development or are you an LLU (eircom exchange) customer?
    That would have nothing to do with it. Are you 100% sure you are using the correct WEP/WPA key on the iPhone? Do you get an IP address when you are connected (if so, what it is)?

cpu-dude wrote: »
    That would have nothing to do with it. Are you 100% sure you are using the correct WEP/WPA key on the iPhone? Do you get an IP address when you are connected (if so, what it is)?

It would, there are two different routers involved, but go ahead, you seem to be on the right track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Rorser wrote: »
    It would, there are two different routers involved, but go ahead, you seem to be on the right track.
    You can connect wirelessly to the router at anytime - regardless if it's connected to the phoneline. He's talking about loosing connection as soon as he tries to connect wirelessly, that's why I'm trying to confirm that he's using the right credentials.

cpu-dude wrote: »
    You can connect wirelessly to the router at anytime - regardless if it's connected to the phoneline. He's talking about loosing connection as soon as he tries to connect wirelessly, that's why I'm trying to confirm that he's using the right credentials.

Ok, this is not a battle of know how. I wanted to know what wireless he was on to get a grip on his problem, I wanted to ensure that there is no problems festering any one specific wireless.

musicinmouth...has the problem been resolved?

• Advertisement
Advertisement