Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tag rugby

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 happypuppy

if anyone in the West interested Tuam Rugby Club are starting their summer league on 8th of May, friday evenings. Registration closing this week though! Registration online www.tuamrugbyclub.com/tag. It's running for 10 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭DaveMR

Quick reminder of the forum section of the Irfutag website. Its a great spot for individual players to find a team in a tag venue (Incl Enniscorthy RFC :) )close to them
    Also an opportunity for teams who are short a couple of players to make a good squad
    Its really busy at the moment. Worth a look if you're considering playing
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/tagrugby/forum/viewforum.php?f=4

• Registered Users Posts: 1 stifle

The tag rugby season kicks off this week around the country. I'm a referee with ITRA (www.tagrugby.ie) for the last 7 years, so if anyone has questions about the laws of the game, please do ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

PM me if you are interested in playing tag in kilkenny....

Thanks,

K

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭eeyore2502

If anyone in the Tallaght area is interested Tallaght RFC are having a Tag Open Night on Thursday the 14th of May starting at 19.00.

Anyone looking for further info let me know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

I hope I'm not too late, but a simple question to you guys should clear it up.

Are there any tag rugby leagues which haven't started yet?
    Am looking at maybe June, Tues nights, northside Dublin, but we are flexible.

Was trying to search the sites there and they are pathetic for giving information on leagues.

Thanks.

JCDUB wrote: »
    I hope I'm not too late, but a simple question to you guys should clear it up.

Are there any tag rugby leagues which haven't started yet?
    Am looking at maybe June, Tues nights, northside Dublin, but we are flexible.

Was trying to search the sites there and they are pathetic for giving information on leagues.

Thanks.

Not in dublin so cant help you, but I'm sure if you conatct eeyore above re tallaght he can help you out
    otherwise contact tag@irishrugby.ie. They'll get you sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭eeyore2502

Unfortunately we are underway and have already had 2 weeks. Hope you find something.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Its short notice i know, but anyone interested in getting some tag experience, i am in a team playing in templeouge (sp?) tomorrow evening and we need an extra man.....

PM me if interested....

EDIT: WITHDRAWN

Thanks anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Farmer C

Hey i'm livin in ballsbridge and look foe a bit of tag before my season starts in october. Anyone got any contacts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Hi guys,
    I'm in the process of setting up a Gaelic Tag league in the Iveagh Grounds in Crumlin. Its due to begin when the Tag Rugby finishes.

The idea is the same as tag rugby, mixed team, tags instead of tackling, no contact, we've taken out kick passing for lads, and goals and points are worth more for girls.

We're hoping to make a big deal of the social side of it as well, table quiz, bands, BBQ, speed dating etc.
    We're launching it next week, fingers corssed the website is up and running, and we'll be having 1 or 2 open nights so people can see whats involved and try it out before signing up.

I'll post again with details of the website and of the open night.

G&R

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭OldJay

Green&Red wrote: »
    The idea is the same as tag rugby, mixed team, tags instead of tackling, no contact, we've taken out kick passing for lads, and goals and points are worth more for girls
    On the point of it being non-contact, are there goalkeepers?

Goalies are optional, in practice it works that a last-man-back is the best option. Goals, which can only be kicked, hence can only be scored by girls are worth 5 points, girl points worth 2, and lad points worth 1.

Defo no contact of any form

If you send an email to mail.administrator@gaelictag.ie
    we'll send you on details when it is up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

How fit do you need to be to play tag?

Can you "pick up and play"?

U dont have to be really fit, the top teams would be very fit but as u go down the leagues it decreases, the rolling subs makes it easy, u can go out run as much as u can and then come off and take a breather, and go back on again when ur ready

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ndolan

Hi,

I have played in 3 venues this year and have seen some of the most shocking referees ever.
    I know it is a hard job but often they are kids who either don't know the rules or are bullied by teams.

Also I played on astro turf where the try line is around a meter from a rigid metal cage. It's just waiting for someone to badly injure themselves

Any comments (good and bad) on your venue?

As for the last thread, it is not too late in the season to participate. Head down to your local venue and see if anyone is short a player.
    This time of year people are out with injuries, on holidays etc. Some teams are crying out for someone to just stand on the pitch so they don't forfeit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

ndolan wrote: »
    Hi,

I have played in 3 venues this year and have seen some of the most shocking referees ever.
    I know it is a hard job but often they are kids who either don't know the rules or are bullied by teams.

Also I played on astro turf where the try line is around a meter from a rigid metal cage. It's just waiting for someone to badly injure themselves

Any comments (good and bad) on your venue?

As for the last thread, it is not too late in the season to participate. Head down to your local venue and see if anyone is short a player.
    This time of year people are out with injuries, on holidays etc. Some teams are crying out for someone to just stand on the pitch so they don't forfeit.

With who did you play in the astro turf the ITRA or Astro leagues?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ndolan

The pitch which is dangerous is in Coolmine RFC
    I have slammed into it after pulling out of tackles on the line & seen plenty more do the same

I played in IRFU venue last year & refs were really good. I didn't agree with them all the time but at least they weren't kids & kept control of the match

I have slammed into it after pulling out of tackles on the line & seen plenty more do the same

I played in IRFU venue last year & refs were really good. I didn't agree with them all the time but at least they weren't kids & kept control of the match

That is the ITRA in the Astro leagues there is no tagging once you get over the tryline which are quite big so people are not running fullspeed and do not go near the barriers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

How was the Tag Rugby in Limerick this weekend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

I've heard there are Autumn tag leagues? Is this true and if so, does anyone have any more details?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭eddiej

Refs in Coolmine were a joke to be honest. Now I know its a pretty crap job and fair play to those who do it as I think its not paid, but they quite simply did not even know the rules and changed from week to week and ref to ref. tag at Coolmine was open league and therfore ment to be a bit of craic mixed teams etc. but these kids were so bad they let matches decend into farce people got really frustrated and people got hurt. This just aint on, listen to any lads out there who thought it was "cool" to run at the ladies lads grow up, most had never played contact rugby and would have been eaten alive in even a J3 match.

Need to sort out the refs or it just wont be worth goin back to Coolmine again, played in Barnhall previous years and it was like chalk and cheese, agree about the astro too very tight at the ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭dave13

TheVan wrote: »
    I've heard there are Autumn tag leagues? Is this true and if so, does anyone have any more details?

Running in UCD in Dublin on an all weather pitch, starting next week.

http://www.tagrugby.ie/index.cfm?page=newsDetails&id=399

Ares wrote: »
    Running in UCD in Dublin on an all weather pitch, starting next week.

http://www.tagrugby.ie/index.cfm?page=newsDetails&id=399

You could try Gaelic Tag, www.gaelictag.ie, leagues starting July 30th. Open night to give it a go this Thursday in the Iveagh Grounds

TheVan wrote: »

Leagues all year around have a look at http://www.astro.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

How was the Tag Rugby in Limerick this weekend?

We had a team down at the pig and porter... Great fun, and a great weekend. I would highly recommend it to anyone.

Our squad of 12 consisted of about 6 who had played before for 1 or 2 seasons and the rest were beginners.

We played in the Mixed C. Drew 1 and lost 3. There were some really good teams in the mixed C division with some obvious out of season full contact players with a lot of pace. A beginners league might have been necessary as well as we couldn't have the more experienced players on the pitch for the whole time, plus everyone gets a run out....

Other than that, it was a really well run event and the night out in old cresent after was really good.

One Last Blast of Tag!
    Enniscorthy RFC is hosting an end of summer Tag Festival on Saturday 29th August
    This promises to be another great evening, with matches kicking off at 6.30pm. Teams will be made up of 5 players (3 men/2 women)with minimum of 4 games for everybody. It should be lots of fun with music blasting and BBQ on the go. Teams & Individuals are welcome.
    Tag costs- €10 pp (which includes entry to comedy night)
    To reserve your team/place please email: tag@enniscorthyrugby.com

Only Joking Comedy Club
    This will be followed by Après Tag entertainment in the clubhouse with the return of the Only Joking Comedy Club.
    This time the line up features 4 comedians with headline Kevin Goldsmith (from Des Bishops “Joy in the Hood” RTE series) supported by Dave O’Gorman, Joey Macken and MC Mark Swan.
    On Stage @ 10pm
    Tickets €5 - available on the door
    Everyone welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

With regards to referees - the IRFU Tag mainly recruit referees from within the IRFU and branches hence the better quality. ITRA let any Tom Dick and Harry referee hence the poor quality. I stopped playing ITRA due to the bad refereeing and the fact that most of my team knew more laws than the refs. Even the guy that refereed the mens ITRA final last year was poor and made some ridiculous decisions and cost one team the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Downtime wrote: »
    With regards to referees - the IRFU Tag mainly recruit referees from within the IRFU and branches hence the better quality. ITRA let any Tom Dick and Harry referee hence the poor quality. I stopped playing ITRA due to the bad refereeing and the fact that most of my team knew more laws than the refs. Even the guy that refereed the mens ITRA final last year was poor and made some ridiculous decisions and cost one team the game.

The top refs in ITRA tend to be IRFU refs as well and while the standard varies wildly, playing in a better league generally means you get better refs so get better at tag if you want better reffing!

I play rugby, tag rugby and I used to ref in tag as well.
    My key problems with the current ITRA reffing situation:
      ITRA used to have a dedicated person looking after the refs and organising them. He is a ref himself and a good guy. He has been replaced with faceless folks in an office who text you what time to turn up.
      Daft organisation. You could be a grade A ref but suddenly you end up reffing beginner grade games for weeks on end because some office drone is selecting from a list.
      Money. I'm not alone in not wanting to be paid. The beer and food tokens were great as you'd save up the beer tokens and have a slab or two by the end of the season. I got paid €450 but it really isn't worth the increased hassle from teams who seem to think that being "paid" means you have to take abuse.
      Abuse. It's been getting progressively worse. I reffed 6 years of tag and when I had a "supporter" threaten me last summer, that was it. Not a week went by without some sort of unpleasantness and it got to the point that I hated reffing. It wasn't always this bad.
      Arms-length management of refs. Going back to the first point and tying it with the previous point, refs have no real contact with anybody from ITRA other than the venue manager. Everything is at a distance making refs feel very isolated when the inevitable abuse starts.
    There were some really good teams in the mixed C division with some obvious out of season full contact players with a lot of pace.
    Happens all the time. Teams want to win silverware so they deliberately play in a weaker league.

Advertisement