Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Elections Poll (Borough Council Candidates)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Cabaal wrote: »
    The country is in debt and neither SF, FF, or FG can create money from nothing, there needs to be cuts in jobs, expenses and budgets how else do you reduce spending and debt?
    that's it in a nutshell. it's depressing when i hear politicians stating that lack of credit is the cause of our current woes, truth is we maxed on private debt and now the government is on the way to maxing out the public credit card.
    however i believe the people who lead us here are not the ones to lead us out. i only heard this secondhand but someone was telling that Cowan said he "listened to the wrong advice" (or something like that).

ultimately leadership must have some personal vision and not be totally reliant on the advice of what all know were vested interest, the banks and developers. even the ERSI was unreliable as for some of its reports like rent rates were compiled exclusively from information supplied by estate agents. these players were not working in the public interest, they are companies driven by profit; i've heard it said that the psychological profile of a bank is that of a psychopath. their reckless lending unchecked by a compromised government has done damage that will take years to rectify, if ever in some parts of the country.

Cowan wants to pass the buck onto the banks when the truth is it was all happening in plain sight, people on short term contracts been approved for mortgages 20 plus their annual salary.
    continuous reckless lending was favored instead of consolidating gains made during the boom period leading up to 2001/2.

Einstein definition of insanity is "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results". people kept voting for ice cream and now they have the trots and have no one to blame but themselves. FF have nothing left to offer except "ah cheer up, all we need is more ice cream". as nice as Ice cream is, i don't think the nation will be voting for more any time soon. i'm afraid a dose of andrews is about as good as it gets for the foreseeable future.

for the record i have voted FF in the past but regardless of the personal qualities of individual candidates i can not and will not be voting for FF in the local and the impending general election. As flawed as the oppositions proposals are, at least in their effort of recovery they will not be carrying the retinue of vested interests FF acquired during the property bubble. FF for their own sake need to spend time in the wilderness.

the whole point of democracy is the ability of people who generate the national wealth through their labour, can peacefully change those they allow to spend the fruits of their labour.

i've seen one recession, back then people could go to Britain or elsewhere. that's not happening this time and so the people who FF failed will be around to remind everyone least we forget, like the last time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 sooshie

mfitzy wrote: »
    That's your opinion, not fact. It's a sure cry from the FF diehards- "ah sure FG wouldn't be any better........." zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz at this stage.
    didnt suggest it was fact but yes it is indeed my opinion and im entitled to have my say....it seems on these threads ppl arent entitled to their opinion unless they are agreeing with everyone elses.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Cabaal wrote: »
    I'm not a FF supporter and I'd have to agree that FG are not the answer atleast not on their own,

Hows that? Fine Gael are the only party willing to actually make changes, make tough (but fair) decisions and come out and honestly point all this out. No other party, not even Labour, is prepared to do that. FG are now really offering good change. It would be a disaster if they got in with Labour who wont make the tough decisions FG will. Plus they don't agree on a lot of changing policies.

Bare in mind that, the only two party's with any chance of making change is Labour and Fine Gael. Sinn Fein can not offer us anything, and there is no point trying them out.
    The bottom line is whatever party is in power and makes the hard decisions is going to be unpopular....if FG won an election and made decisions that are unpopular with the average joe (and they will have to be) then they'd be no different to FF.

I think you are FF, and wont admit it. Notice a few little things that makes me think that :) That's the same party line being trotted out time and time again, even today. The public sent a VERY clear historic signal to the government that enough is enough. They turned their backs and gave the thumbs up to Fine Gael and Labour (somewhat).

The fact that Labour speak to please everyone and jump on every bandwagon possible to get votes, should mean they are streets ahead. After all, as you and FF have been saying its all down to hard decisions. Labour seem to agree not to make these. Fine Gael have outlined what they would do and have publicly stated that hard decisions will be made. Who did the people choose? Clearly Fine Gael and not Labour.
    The fact that FF are now doing better in the polls means nothing at present.

The country is in debt and neither SF, FF, or FG can create money from nothing, there needs to be cuts in jobs, expenses and budgets how else do you reduce spending and debt?

Do you not listen to what they all offer? Do you not observe and analyse what they say? FG have said tough decisions will have to be made if they get in but they will be done differently and in a more fair way.

College Fees is a good example of a tax the government want to bring in. Do we charge them high fees or get it back when they work? As in, do we put a big heavy door blocking them getting an education or do we allow them get a good education and pay back what they owe when they get a decent job. FF want to put the heavy door, risking blocking a load of people getting into college while FG want to offer an after-tax paid back by work. I know which is a fairer tax to me, while still making a tough decision.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

sooshie wrote: »
    didnt suggest it was fact but yes it is indeed my opinion and im entitled to have my say....it seems on these threads ppl arent entitled to their opinion unless they are agreeing with everyone elses.

I think you will find that if you say your a FF supporter, you wont get much respect from the general public. Its clear at the doors (dont trot the party line that "No abuse or anger at the doors") when canvassing and its clear in opinion polls (once again, no thanks to the party line "it shows we are making tough decessions for the good of the people").

Sully wrote: »
    I think you will find that if you say your a FF supporter, you wont get much respect from the general public. Its clear at the doors (dont trot the party line that "No abuse or anger at the doors") when canvassing and its clear in opinion polls (once again, no thanks to the party line "it shows we are making tough decessions for the good of the people").
    there is still alot of ppl supporting FF.... i agree that there are ppl in power there that are in the wrong position but i still believe in FF just with a bit of a re-shuffle....i dont think any of the parties can magically get this country out of the hole its in and no matter who was in power,they would be gettin all the ****. i thinkn with some new approaches FF can do as good if not better the oppisition!

• Advertisement

it is indeed my opinion and im entitled to have my say....it seems on these threads ppl arent entitled to their opinion unless they are agreeing with everyone elses.
    who's stopping you. Aung San Suu Kyi can't express herself because she's under house arrest by the Burmese military dictatorship.
    so who repressing you? how have people on this thread repressed your right to free speech?

can you accept that other people have a different outlook to yours?
    if you can't, then it is you who limits your own views.

there is still alot of ppl supporting FF.... i agree that there are ppl in power there that are in the wrong position but i still believe in FF just with a bit of a re-shuffle....i dont think any of the parties can magically get this country out of the hole its in and no matter who was in power,they would be gettin all the ****. i thinkn with some new approaches FF can do as good if not better the oppisition!

Every party has their core support which will either strengthen or weaken. FFs overall support has significantly dropped and a lot of their core support has turned their backs on them.

I don't think any party is offering a magic solution either. Clearly Cowen cant lead this government if he is picking a team who are doing a botched job and is doing a poor job at making fair but hard decisions.

catbear wrote: »
    who's stopping you. Aung San Suu Kyi can't express herself because she's under house arrest by the Burmese military dictatorship.
    so who repressing you? how have people on this thread repressed your right to free speech?

i can absolutly accept other ppls views, i wasnt targetin this thread only when i said that...on another thread ppl suggested i was a mcguinness, i joined this to stir, trolling, they then closed the thread so i coulnt defend myself.... all i want is to give my opinion on FF and have someone speakin for them.instead im a liar a spy etc etc

Every party has their core support which will either strengthen or weaken. FFs overall support has significantly dropped and a lot of their core support has turned their backs on them.

I don't think any party is offering a magic solution either. Clearly Cowen cant lead this government if he is picking a team who are doing a botched job and is doing a poor job at making fair but hard decisions.

yes and i agree cowen and coughlin are not right in the job they are doin.... who is? im still not sure.....but would kenny or gilmore do any better? i really dont think so, whatever about gilmore...i think kenny would lead us back to famine times:D

yes and i agree cowen and coughlin are not right in the job they are doin.... who is? im still not sure.....but would kenny or gilmore do any better? i really dont think so, whatever about gilmore...i think kenny would lead us back to famine times:D

Its not about Kenny or Gilmore. Its whats behind the leaders is what counts. The leader only matters to keep a strong team and ensure decent policys. Cowen has been a poor leader and has brought a very weak team to the table. Im not sure there is much left in the FF ranks to bring real change.

Its time for a change, FG seem to over very good change and Labour cant be trusted.

• Advertisement

i can absolutly accept other ppls views, i wasnt targetin this thread only when i said that...on another thread ppl suggested i was a mcguinness, i joined this to stir, trolling, they then closed the thread so i coulnt defend myself.... all i want is to give my opinion on FF and have someone speakin for them.instead im a liar a spy etc etc

Well McGuiness did sign up at least one account to post, it seems. His main account and the sock account were site banned as a result.

Its very unlikely that a group of people all join at once and start posting to defend McGuiness. There is some very strong connection.

The thread ran its course and it was annoying that the above was happening.

Well McGuiness did sign up at least one account to post, it seems. His main account and the sock account were site banned as a result.

Its very unlikely that a group of people all join at once and start posting to defend McGuiness. There is some very strong connection.

The thread ran its course and it was annoying that the above was happening.
    yea and i said that i understood why it seemed suspicious but i wasnt asked by any mcguinness to come on this site....yes i did join it to read up about the parkin thread, but that was because i heard it was on mr murphys facebook page and had to check it out.....i am a support of the mcguinness's and FF but felt i wasnt welcome because of that.never was on this site before....i think its great and am slightly addicted now:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Exactly my point.

joined this to stir, trolling, they then closed the thread so i coulnt defend myself.... all i want is to give my opinion on FF and have someone speakin for them.instead im a liar a spy etc etc
    A. start your own thread, for example; a FF appreciation thread. who's stopping you?
    B. if someone disagrees with your view it does not make your view invalid or untrue. to be believe otherwise is self deception.
    C. Spying? anyone who bothers accessing the internet can read this. there are no barriers to viewing this material. again to believe otherwise is an act of self deception.

you can read and write, logic and reason are attainable.

ps, welcome to Kilkenny boards. all opinions are equally valuable and disposable.

A. start your own thread, for example; a FF appreciation thread. who's stopping you?
    B. if someone disagrees with your view it does not make your view invalid or untrue. to be believe otherwise is self deception.
    C. Spying? anyone who bothers accessing the internet can read this. there are no barriers to viewing this material. again to believe otherwise is an act of self deception.

you can read and write, logic and reason are attainable.

ps, welcome to Kilkenny boards. all opinions are equally valuable and disposable.

thanks for the welcome but im goin to retire from these threads.... its tiring work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

thanks for the welcome but im goin to retire from these threads.... its tiring work.

Cya Andrew!!

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭frankie2shoes

Ok.
    last tuesday I sent an email to all the candidates that I was interested in voting for with a simple question about recycling.
    I did not e-mail a FF, SF or Greens as I have no interest in voting for their party.
    Only Two out seven bothered to reply.
    Not sure if I should name and shame on boards but are those who don't reply to e-mails really the kind of people we need representing us in an age where where a lot of work is carried out using e-mail?
    Perhaps I'll send a mail to all candidates to see how bad our potential candidates are at the basics of carrying out business in our modern society!!!

00Blaine00 wrote: »
    Cya Andrew!!

for the LAST AND FINAL TIME i am NOT andrew mcguinness....if you see from my own threads im involved in theatre and kilkenny musical society.....sound like andrew to you???? i dont think so!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭ChristIsMurph

Ok.
    last tuesday I sent an email to all the candidates that I was interested in voting for with a simple question about recycling.
    I did not e-mail a FF, SF or Greens as I have no interest in voting for their party.
    Not sure if I should name and shame on boards but are those who don't reply to e-mails really the kind of people we need representing us in an age where where a lot of work is carried out using e-mail?
    Perhaps I'll send a mail to all candidates to see how bad our potential candidates are at the basics of carrying out business in our modern society!!!

I will stand up and say I was actually one of the ones to reply to you! And I believe I did it within 20 minutes of you sending it as well! Albeit it was 8:30am and I was up studying for an exam!
    I always work through emails, it's a lot easier. The rest of the candidates in every party do need to adjust to this method. The advantages are amazing, you save on postage, paper and storage becomes a million times easier plus searching for a letter.

Ok.

For business reasons, I did the the same a little longer. Expect an unusual delay this time around. There all out canvassing and its very close to the elections so its very hectic. I got one reply out of several, late, but I got an apology. I understand folk are up to their eyes at the moment. So, bare that in mind? :)

• Advertisement

Bear that in mind? are ya nuts?
    email is the backbone of modern business, if people want to be elected they should know this.
    recycling costs are a local election issue that affects everyone so its difficult for me to believe that a candidate wouldnt reply if he's really canvassing for votes.
    so either the candidates don't understand how de internet works (in which case, not worthy of being elected)
    OR
    the candidates couldn't be bothered replying to a consituent, in which case not worthy of election!
    If these people won't speak to you when they're looking for your vote do you really think they'll speak to you after they're elected?
    Moderator, can I name and shame?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Dear Mr Bloggs,

Thanks a lot for your question. As you can imagine I am quite busy at the moment with the impending elections, however I will have a look over your mail and get back to you in the next couple of days.

Kind regards,
    Some Politition

The above text took me roughly a minute and a half. If I'd copied and pasted it, it would have taken about 15 seconds. I do not accept busyness as an excuse at all.

Established ettiquette dictates that one replys to an email the same working day, or if it was sent late in the day, by the following evening.

With modern technology, auto replies, blackberrys, internet cafe's and the user friendlyness of todays operating systems, I cannot accept any such excuse for not replying.

And if computer literacy is a factor then they are certainly not worthy of election. Name and shame by all means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Covert2007

Ok.

In all fairness, whoever you are, there are more important things to be worrying about or writing about than how fast a politician can email you back. For example, how fast can they turn around the country? retain and create jobs and tackle the ridcules rip-offs of the professional classes. what about corruption? Including FG corruption?????

Covert2007 wrote: »
    In all fairness, whoever you are, there are more important things to be worrying about or writing about than how fast a politician can email you back. For example, how fast can they turn around the country? retain and create jobs and tackle the ridcules rip-offs of the professional classes. what about corruption? Including FG corruption?????

Fair point.
    There may be more important things at stake in this election but I'm just drawing everyones attention to the lack of attention the candidates have for the concerns of those who may become their constituents.
    If this is unimportant to you by all means vote for those who ignore you. Looks to me like a lot of people voted that way in the last election and look where that got us!!!!!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Where are the canvassers? I live in a large estate and only 1 person has called to the house so far. I've seen Labour call around but only doing a leaflet drop, and I've had numerous FF leaflets but not one person ringing the bell. I'm here every evening, and there is someone at home all day, so its not like we're missing them. Are they afraid of the electorate?

me too, loadsa flyers no callers. I do live outta town though

Nightwish wrote: »
    Are they afraid of the electorate?
    well for a start remove the severed heads from the spikes in the front garden, then they might call.

well for a start remove the severed heads from the spikes in the front garden, then they might call.

:confused::confused::confused:

sorry nightwish if i lost you, it's just i've been hearing how some of them are getting it the neck. i remember one night back in Jan/Feb Martin Carroll was doing footwork for FF. he could barely look me in the eye, by March he'd gone independent.
    i'm reckoning it's only a matter of time before someone proposes having a guillotine at the official opening of the parade. there are plenty of tradesmen with tools, material and time to slap one up.

• Advertisement

Ok, I thought you implying something else! I dont see why opposition party candidates would be so opposed to getting out and ringing doorbells. Its FF/Greens that people are really angry towards.

Advertisement