Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self employed or PAYE

Options
  • 20-03-2009 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭

Last year I register a company but it did not work out, Zero earnings. This was evening work, but in the meantime I was working a PAYE job during the day.
    In the tax office today they told me I was self employed.
    How does this affect my PRSI and paye?
    Will it affect me if I become unemployed?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Last year I register a company but it did not work out, Zero earnings. This was evening work, but in the meantime I was working a PAYE job during the day.
    In the tax office today they told me I was self employed.
    How does this affect my PRSI and paye?
    Will it affect me if I become unemployed?

You need to clarify this with the Revenue ASAP.

IF the Revenue now consider you self employed and this is the first full tax year in which that is the case you will lose your PAYE tax credit, which is half of your credits.

In terms of PRSI and becoming unemployed, it shouldn't affect you once you get it clarified, if however you do not sort it out and are classed as self employed as a company director then it affects your PRSI benefits.

I'd go to your local tax office if I were you, with your P60, details of your employment and explain that the company you registered didn't generate any income and that you have been a full employee as opposed to self employed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Thanks a million for that. Will do.

Advertisement