Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mclaren to be near the Back of the grid

• 20-03-2009 10:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,593 ✭✭✭✭

World champion Lewis Hamilton, and his teammate Heikki Kovalainen, are likely to qualify "in the last third" of the Melbourne grid next weekend. :D:D:D

That is the frank admission of Norbert Haug, who has spoken candidly about McLaren's winter problems with the new MP4-24 car.

In an official race preview on Friday, team figures admitted outright victory at Albert Park is unlikely.

World champion Hamilton, who won the event in 2008 after securing pole, said he doesn't have "the same prospects" for success this year as in the past, while Kovalainen admitted the Woking based team "probably won't start the season as favourites."

Team boss Martin Whitmarsh said McLaren is "fully aware" fighting at the front is not a prospect for Australia, while Mercedes chief Haug said winning "may not be possible."

In an interview with the German news agency SID, however, Haug was more candid about the car's competitiveness, and also the time it may take for its problems to be resolved.

"After our test results, we must get used to the fact that in Melbourne we will be in the last third of the starting order," the German is quoted as saying.

"Clearly we have to improve our technical package," Haug continued. "This process needs time and it could be the start of the European season (before McLaren is competitive), perhaps even longer."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Scober11

Right role on the European part of the season so we can see a McLaren winning again:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,593 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Scober11 wrote: »
    Right role on the European part of the season so we can see a McLaren winning again:)

No
    I want to see Golden Boy in a bad car to see what he is really made of :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I wonder if anyone will call Hamilton a monkey at the back of the grid.

Doubt it somehow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

vectra wrote: »
    World champion Lewis Hamilton, and his teammate Heikki Kovalainen, are likely to qualify "in the last third" of the Melbourne grid next weekend. :D:D:D

That is the frank admission of Norbert Haug, who has spoken candidly about McLaren's winter problems with the new MP4-24 car.

In an official race preview on Friday, team figures admitted outright victory at Albert Park is unlikely.

World champion Hamilton, who won the event in 2008 after securing pole, said he doesn't have "the same prospects" for success this year as in the past, while Kovalainen admitted the Woking based team "probably won't start the season as favourites."

Team boss Martin Whitmarsh said McLaren is "fully aware" fighting at the front is not a prospect for Australia, while Mercedes chief Haug said winning "may not be possible."

In an interview with the German news agency SID, however, Haug was more candid about the car's competitiveness, and also the time it may take for its problems to be resolved.

"After our test results, we must get used to the fact that in Melbourne we will be in the last third of the starting order," the German is quoted as saying.

"Clearly we have to improve our technical package," Haug continued. "This process needs time and it could be the start of the European season (before McLaren is competitive), perhaps even longer."
    When I red this somewhere else, i knew you would have it posted it here :pac:

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    When I red this somewhere else, i knew you would have it posted it here :pac:

Have to keep you all updated :cool:

• Advertisement

Have to keep you all updated :cool:
    ha ha :)
    I want to see how he dose in an under performing car too, this season we might see what kind of a driver he really is. :o

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Oh I love to see that too but you know he/team will come up with something and he will grab a top 3 in qualifing. And then que all the shots of his dad looking all smug as usual!

True
    But.
    I do detect a bit of doom and gloom at the McLaren camp so maybe they are going to have a re-run of (2004)?
    I wonder will he get called all sorts like Kimi did last season.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

I honestly do not believe this, it's all mind games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

*Tripper* wrote: »
    Nope- me thinks its true- they have built a donkey.

*Tripper* wrote: »

You could be right
    Maybe they are pretending to be struggling and spending huge time and money just to throw everyone off the scent :rolleyes:

They did it before and I think they have done it again.
    All i want to see is Hamilton looking like a twat :D

• Advertisement

They did it before and I think they have done it again.
    All i want to see is Hamilton looking like a twat :D

Once he does rings around Kovi we'll still hear how awesome he is.

I'd personally quite like to see Button do well this year.

amacachi wrote: »
    Once he does rings around Kovi we'll still hear how awesome he is.

True
    Or once he stays ahead of Force India he will be a hero :rolleyes:

Ficus wrote: »
    Just to clarify the use of the term monkey in this thread.
    It is not a racist remark but is infact reference to when hamilton refered to all the other drivers at the back as being monkeys in a pre-race interview for itv.
    the clip can be viewed here as proof:
    http://shaungymcycle.blogspot.com/2007/05/monaco-gpfantastic-win-for-fanando.html

hope this clears this issue up for a few people.

I didn't realise that. I certainly wasn't being ironic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,958 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I remember him saying that, hope he likes it back there.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭tifosi 1

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the times Mclaren or Brawn GP are setting. Mclaren have a habit of hiding their true form until qualifying for the first GP. Brawn's pace is also not realistic. Anyone remember BAR pre-testing in either 2005 or 2006. They were miles ahead of the competition but come raceday the Renault's made a show of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Oblomov

Bernie Ecclestone on Sunday suggested McLaren's pre-season lack of pace may have been overstated -- even by the British team.
    In the run to next Sunday's Australian grand prix, it has emerged that the MP4-24 is not a world-beater, reportedly suffering from aerodynamic flaws.

But while the works Mercedes squad has been quite open about its winter struggle, F1's 78-year-old chief executive floated the theory that an element of sandbagging may have been in play.

"I think you will find that they are still very competitive in Melbourne," Ecclestone told the Sunday Telegraph.

He added that he believes the Woking based team is "not at all" in serious trouble.

"Let's put it this way, there's been no need for them to show that they're quick," the Briton added.

But while McLaren's Melbourne form may be unclear, Ecclestone does not think the astonishing test pace of the former Honda team Brawn GP has been a false guide to the 2009 season.

"Now they aren't sandbagging or joking," he said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

Scober11 wrote: »

I hope they are right at the back of the grid, one team I cant stand is these gents, I like heiki, but that Hamilton is a dangerous driver, so I fear for the drivers around him.

Anyway I doubt they are sandbagging because that would take some flare something this team has never had! As grey & dull & unimaginative as Ron & Norbert themselves!

Roll on the New season, has been a long winter.

Anyway I doubt they are sandbagging because that would take some flare something this team has never had! As grey & dull & unimaginative as Ron & Norbert themselves!

You cannot be serious!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

Oblomov wrote: »
    You cannot be serious!!!!!!

100%

Its possible that they are sandbagging although i don't see the advantage to it, its possible they have a problem that they can get sorted by Australia and its possible they have a problem that will take longer to fix. No one will know until Australia. I'm just happy to see them struggle. :D

• Advertisement

Think how boring it would be without McLaren..... Ferrari winning every thing in sight.

Has there been any other serious opposition?

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Sometimes people tend to forget that Ferrari werent always the top team they are now. During the 50`s and 60`s they werent up to much. Didnt do too well in the turbo era in the 80`s either.

Didnt do too well up to the Schumacher era either if I remember correctly

Oblomov wrote: »
    Think how boring it would be without McLaren..... Ferrari winning every thing in sight.

Has there been any other serious opposition?
    Benetton/Renault Williams?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

There seems to be quite a lot of anti Hamilton people on here :) Personally, I like him. It's hard to say how bad McLaren are going to be. I was reading an article and the guy in it said it's highly unlikely that the MP4-24 has some fundamental design flaw, due to the software and stuff that's used to design cars these days. And instead it's more likely to be some aerodynamical problem that once spotted, may be easy to fix.

I've no clue if that's being naive or not. I don't know anything about designing F1 cars so it could well be possible. At this stage though, McLaren have packed up and are probably on their way to Australia, if they aren't already there. So I'm guessing there won't be many more new parts on the car over the first few fly-away races.

It will be really interesting to see how they get on in qualifying. Anyone think they will get out of Q3?

I'm expecting McLaren to be top 10 at least tbh.

I don't really buy into that article though, remember Honda last year? Critical flaw somewhere on the car that all the money they threw at it wouldn't sort out.

Anyone think they will get out of Q3?

Yes.
    They will probably run on a sniff of fuel to get them through but I cant see them getting past Q2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

Gentlemen, I can already smell the burning rubber. The anticipation is killing me! AHHHH!

Advertisement