Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

two port ADSL splitter fitter

Options
  • 20-03-2009 10:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭

Basically, I got my eircom modem today to install broadband. However once installed bb, it worked for 2min then "crashed" & I kept getting a msg saying trying to locate WAN setting so called eircom who suggested I plug the lead from the modem into the telephone jack rather than thru the two port adsl splitter fitter in a 2nd phone jack beside the PC specifically for the pc, (main telephone jack is around the corner, in another room) BB working perfect when not using splitter. So Mr eircom says it a faulty splitter & is going to post out another one. Has anyone experienced this before? I'm currently hovering between the sitting room & hallway and I have no working landline for the moment. Hopefully my posting can be interpreted properly :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I had some trouble before and it was a faulty splitter .. got 3 duds in a row - it's entirely possible.

Would suggest you pop into Maplins, 3G, Atlantic Homecare, Harvey Normans, Currys or whatever and buy a filter there for a tenner rather than waiting for it to be posted out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Its not really a splitter, its a filter

Think You can get them in argos

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

The "splitter/filter" type you mention is very brittle and they tend to fail easily.

What you can do instead is get a Master Socket Faceplate Splitter which will give you one output for phone and one for BB. It plugs directly onto the Eircom master socket.

Next time you see an Eircom van in your area, ask them for one.

E.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Also there are actual "Splitters". They don't work for ADSL at all, only phones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Also there are actual "Splitters" that work with both ADSL and phone.

• Advertisement

No, those are Diplex filters. Not splitters.

Phone port gets below 3.5KHz and and ADSL port gets above 20KHz (approximately).
    http://www.dslreports.com/faq/12010

voicedslband.gif
    Voice <
    DSL
    >

It's still a splitter. You split the line and ,in the case of the Excelsus Z-230tj splitter, its filtered on one side only.
    To quote from the site you have linked to

"Also, filters installed at the NID are referred to as splitters, as they filter out the DSL signals from the wires split off of the main phone line."

Lies for Children I'm afraid. A real splitter has no filtering. Something that SEPARATES DSL and Voice isn't splitting at all. It's filtering.

I'm being a bit pedantic. I'll go and lie down with a bowl of cornflakes.

And i thought I was the pedant.

I'll stick with my Shreddies ;-)

Advertisement