Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is this legal ?

Options
  • 20-03-2009 10:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭

I ordered some electrical tools from an irish company and they said they would ship it from their hongkong warehouse and it would take 14 days to arrive

they said i may also be liable for customs charge but the tools were a good price so i agreed to cover this as well

after the goods arrived i decided to return them as the quality wasnt great and just purchase locally

they want me to return goods to hongkong which will be expensive but they have an office in dublin where i offered to return the goods and they refused

are they allowed to do this ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Are the goods faulty , or just not what you wanted ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

jhegarty wrote: »
    Are the goods faulty , or just not what you wanted ?

theyre just bad quality really.i know from the distance selling regulations i am entitled to return any item bought online within 7 days but the company are selling in ireland ,shouldnt they be forced to accept returns in ireland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

No. If Amazon had a Irish office, and you bought something from their website which shipped from the U.K., they would not be obliged to accept the return in their Dublin office.
    You bought it, they shipped it from Hong Kong, you want to return it, you return it to Hong Kong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

delllat wrote: »
    theyre just bad quality really.i know from the distance selling regulations i am entitled to return any item bought online within 7 days

this part you are 100% correct on
    but the company are selling in ireland ,shouldnt they be forced to accept returns in ireland ?

from my understanding (and I'm open to correction) under those same distance selling rules you are responsible for shipping costs to the "originator" of the shipment.

its poor customer service I wholeheartedly agree but when you buy cheap you pay twice ;)

Sleipnir wrote: »
    No. If Amazon had a Irish office, and you bought something from their website which shipped from the U.K., they would not be obliged to accept the return in their Dublin office.
    You bought it, they shipped it from Hong Kong, you want to return it, you return it to Hong Kong.

even if they have a .ie web site?

• Advertisement

even if they have a .ie website. actually out of curiosity OP does the tool brand start a with a W and end with an F ???

no,the tools are draper brand

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

no,the tools are draper brand

Draper are generally a good brand, you could try there Head Office in the UK
    http://www.draper.co.uk/Pages/location.html

Or maybe they were nock off's

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

you knew that they were coming from Hong Kong though as you excepted the custom charge. Your better off sticking to what you know. Some things you can buy online no problem and some things you are better off going to the local store.

I dont mind returning it to HK if i have to,
    i just thought since the company is registered in ireland
    there may be some rules about returning elsewhere

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

A .ie site don't mean that they have an Irish office set up; I can buy a .ie site and have it point to a server any where in the world.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Them having an Irish registered office means nothing, you have to return it to where they say and where it was shipped from, .ie domain or not it means nothing

Nody wrote: »
    A .ie site don't mean that they have an Irish office set up; I can buy a .ie site and have it point to a server any where in the world.

thats not strictly true, the IEDR will not approve the domain unless an irish connection can be proved in some way or other.

registering a .ie is not the same as registering a .com

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

miju wrote: »
    thats not strictly true, the IEDR will not approve the domain unless an irish connection can be proved in some way or other.

registering a .ie is not the same as registering a .com

True,
    none the less it does not give the OP any rights to return any items to an Ireland registered office

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

But makes it handy for taking errant online retailers hiding behind a .ie domain to the Small Claims Court as you just can enter the registered address as the company address and when they don't show you win.

MC

Advertisement