Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transition from acoustic to trad guitar

Options
  • 20-03-2009 11:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭

Howye,

Was just wondering how difficult is learning trad guitar? I play acoustic reasonably well (no hendrix or anything but alright).

Would learning trad guitar be a struggle? Is the Dadgad tuning thing a lot to get used to?

Thanks for any advice.

K.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Strings.ie

kraggy wrote: »
    Howye,

Was just wondering how difficult is learning trad guitar? I play acoustic reasonably well (no hendrix or anything but alright).

Would learning trad guitar be a struggle? Is the Dadgad tuning thing a lot to get used to?

Thanks for any advice.

K.

Dadgad is great but I prefer standard as I find dadgad a bit samey after a while.
    Backing tunes just takes experience to know what chords to place where. There is no science, just have a go ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Strings.ie wrote: »
    Dadgad is great but I prefer standard as I find dadgad a bit samey after a while.
    Backing tunes just takes experience to know what chords to place where. There is no science, just have a go ;)

Thanks for that strings.

Just thought that most guitar playing in trad didn't sound like regular chords. Hence enquiring about DADGAD.

Thanks, will give it a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Daithinski

kraggy wrote: »
    Thanks for that strings.

Just thought that most guitar playing in trad didn't sound like regular chords. Hence enquiring about DADGAD.

Thanks, will give it a go.

Trad guitar can be played on standard tuning (I agree with Strings) but they wouldn't necessarily be standard chords.

Maybe some of the trad guitar players could post up a few of their favourite trad guitar chords shapes.

I basically get a set of chords for the song key. And if I'm playing a song in a different key I use a capo (and use the same chord shapes)

In this format: i.e. 022100 would be the standard E chords.

I'll get the ball rolling. Not sure of the exact names. I'm no expert on trad guitar by any means.

If you fiddle about with these chord shapes a bit, you'll get a bit if a trad sound going on.

079900 - E
    054000 - D
    032000 - C
    x02200 / x02000 A sus(ish)

022000 - Em
    044200 - F#m
    055400 - G
    077400 - A

x02210 - Am
    x04430 - Bm
    x05530 - C
    x07750 - D