Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

have ntl changed a leaf with becoming upc?

Options
  • 20-03-2009 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    This has probably been done to death, but has the ntl/upc helpline improved any?
    I ask because I'm currently on bt, upc recently recabled our street and are marketing a package that would be a bit cheaper and in these straitened times I'm thinking about it.
    Only problems are my experience with ntl customer care is a nightmare (wrt to tv). I tried to see how long the helpline queue was but they have different strands for existing (existing suckers) and new (potential sales aka future suckers) so couldn't make any judgement.
    BT for all their sins have a callback system which is great, but then again I'd call the helpline once every few years (touch wood).
    Another concern would be switching from copper to fiber. I have a vague recollection that fiber can get congested at the local loop unlike copper. Though I imagine both are prone to some degree between my house and the network connection, is there any grounds to my nervousness?
    TIA, apologies for newbie questions.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I think it is generally recognised here that UPC's customer care is pretty dire to put it mildly just do a search and you will find plenty of reading material.

The product itself seems to be a bit of a lottery some people report excellent results consistently others dont. Its up to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

I've been with NTL/UPC for years and have to agree with Dub45 - it's a very mixed bag and that applies to both the product and the customer service. Regarding calling customer service, I've been on hold forever at times, getting no help but recently when I called them, I got through pretty much right away... might have been a fluke though, I try to avoid calling them at all costs :). The broadband I love and want to stay with them now that I'm moving but have had times where it completely dies (longest down time was almost close to 2 full days) and in the evenings, it just goes to crap no matter what (in the city center area that is, my 20Mb can easily become 1Mb or worse...). I'm guessing that congestion can be a very big issue with UPC, but it entirely depends where you are and when you want to get the most of your connection.

Still though, I find I can live with that and for the price, I don't see any competition around... Smart and Magnet can probably compete but not on price (since I have no Eircom line either, UPC works out the cheapest for a 20Mb product).

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

Early days, but so far so good - engineer turned up on the right day. A bit of to and fro regarding said date but able to talk to people to sort it out without too much hassle.
    Speed seems good, 2.9 according to speedtest.net for a 3 package.

Maybe the NTL sh1t3n3ss is being disipated.

Advertisement