Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Books you're looking forward to reading in 2009

Options
  • 20-03-2009 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭

Any books being published in the near future you are looking forward to reading?

Personally, Im looking forward to Margaret Atwood's new book The Year of the Flood aka God's Gardeners, which will be released in September. If you're a fan of Atwood, you will recognise God's Gardeners as a reference from Oryx and Crake, which means that this new book will take place in the same alternate future as Oryx and Crake.

Which is good news to me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭chenguin

I am looking forward to the new Kathy Reichs book ''206 Bones'' I always thoroughly enjoy her books.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

I'm looking forward to the new George RR Martin novel ; "A Dance With Drangons".

Other than that all the authors I like are dead :(. Better that way perhaps, It's very frustrating ot have to wait for something to come out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Good thread.

I want to read more Walter Scott and Kafka this summer. Back to basics I think, I've got very sick and cynical with more modern novels.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

raah! wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to the new George RR Martin novel ; "A Dance With Drangons".

Other than that all the authors I like are dead :(. Better that way perhaps, It's very frustrating ot have to wait for something to come out.

Same here, although i'm unfortunately skeptical that it will actually see the light of day this year ... yet again.

Also on a less serious note i'm also looking forward to "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

+1 for "A Dance with Dragons".

I've also pre-ordered a (signed) copy the fantasy anthology "Songs of the Dying Earth" which has contributions from GRRM and a whole bunch of others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

James Ellroy's Bloods A Rover. Can't fuppin wait..

c - 13 wrote: »
    Same here, although i'm unfortunately skeptical that it will actually see the light of day this year ... yet again.
    Dades wrote: »
    +1 for "A Dance with Dragons".

Damn this book has been delayed alot, and meanwhile he's having a laugh around europe. Grinds my gears it does. Although I suppose he can relase it when he wants, but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Any books being published in the near future you are looking forward to reading?

Personally, Im looking forward to Margaret Atwood's new book The Year of the Flood aka God's Gardeners, which will be released in September. If you're a fan of Atwood, you will recognise God's Gardeners as a reference from Oryx and Crake, which means that this new book will take place in the same alternate future as Oryx and Crake.

Which is good news to me.

Fantastic, I adored Oryx and Crake!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

raah! wrote: »
    Damn this book has been delayed alot, and meanwhile he's having a laugh around europe. Grinds my gears it does. Although I suppose he can relase it when he wants, but still.

Sorry to take the thread off topic slightly but there was a sample chapter or two on his official website IIRC if you havent seen them already.

Yeah I've seen them, but I'd rather wait to read the book as a whole. I mean if those are good chapters it would spoil them somewhat by reading them in isolation. Thanks anyway :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Another book that I'm looking forward to is the next Dean Koontz Odd Thomas novel. Which will be the penultimate one as he planned 5 Odd novels in total.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I'm very much looking forward to Patrick Rothfuss's "The Wise Man's Fear", which is the follow-up to "The Name of the Wind".

It's published on the 16th of next month and I have a book token since my birthday with its name on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Drood by Dan Simmons which was released earlier this month.

A Dance of Dragons is high up there but if it's out this year it won't be until november/december, and I'm doubtful we'll see it then. Still, whenever it's done it's done. I'm not bothered as long as the series does get finished.

Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie. After the magnificent The First Law Trilogy I eagerly await my next helping from such a great writer. He has a very good blog going on his website too. It's definitely worth a gander if anyone is bored.

The next Scott Lynch is in there. I wasn't impressed with Red Skies. It was a poor follow up to The Lies of Locke Lamora. I'm hoping whenever the next installment is released that it will be less rushed and more polished.

I'm trying not to buy too many new books until I clear a bit of my backlog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭treefingers

really looking forward to glen david gold - sunnyside.

carter beats the devil was a thoroughly enjoyable read...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

My Year - Roald Dahl

This is a book containing excerpts from Dahl's diary from the last year of his life, it's been very hard to track down but gonna get my mitts on a copy soon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

mud wrote: »
    My Year - Roald Dahl

This is a book containing excerpts from Dahl's diary from the last year of his life, it's been very hard to track down but gonna get my mitts on a copy soon

I'd be interested in that myself.

D-FENS wrote: »
    I'd be interested in that myself.

check out amazon, it's either orderable by now or still preorderable :)

check out amazon, it's either orderable by now or still preorderable :)

Might try Ebay in a few months for the cheap a$$ option :)

Do you like Tales of the Unexpected (Either the original short stories or tv show) ?

Might try Ebay in a few months for the cheap a$$ option :)

Do you like Tales of the Unexpected (Either the original short stories or tv show) ?

yes, I love Dahl's adult fiction, Leg of Lamb gave me the heebie jeebies when I first read it, (I was 12 or so)

I got the second tv series of totu on dvd which isn't great, the first series is waaaay more expensive so I wonder if it's way better?

Can remember the theme tune so vividly :)

Have you read My Uncle Oswald?

• Advertisement

yes, I love Dahl's adult fiction, Leg of Lamb gave me the heebie jeebies when I first read it, (I was 12 or so)

I got the second tv series of totu on dvd which isn't great, the first series is waaaay more expensive so I wonder if it's way better?

Can remember the theme tune so vividly :)

Have you read My Uncle Oswald?

I haven’t read that but I’m familiar with the character from some of his other short stories like Bitch, is it good?

Love his literary work and really love the old show, brilliant memories of it from my childhood too.
    I have the theme tune on a cd, often stick it on at house parties, just for the strange looks!

You can also get the complete box set on DVD, all 119 episodes -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tales-Unexpected-Complete-Joss-Ackland/dp/B001E6Q0IA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1238165009&sr=8-1

Bit pricey but another one I’m looking out for on Ebay, and hinting like mad for a birthday prezzie :D

The Landlady always freaked me out...

I haven’t read that but I’m familiar with the character from some of his other short stories like Bitch, is it good?

Love his literary work and really love the old show, brilliant memories of it from my childhood too.
    I have the theme tune on a cd, often stick it on at house parties, just for the strange looks!

You can also get the complete box set on DVD, all 119 episodes -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tales-Unexpected-Complete-Joss-Ackland/dp/B001E6Q0IA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1238165009&sr=8-1

Bit pricey but another one I’m looking out for on Ebay, and hinting like mad for a birthday prezzie :D

The Landlady always freaked me out...

They sound like great house parties tbh! My Uncle Oswald and Ah Sweet Mystery of Life are super special books, go forth and procure! :pac::pac:

Back on topic I can't wait to read Kurt Vonnegut's posthumous Armageddon in Retrospect . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭callmescratch

The Strain by Guillermo del Toro. New vampire novel coming at the end of may.

Was looking forward to The Corner by David Simon (him of Homicide and The Wire fame). Half way through now and loving it.

The Ask and The Answer by Patrick Ness. Follow-up to The Knife of Never Letting Go. I'm extremely excited about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Gerry81

A Memory of Light,Part 1:The Gathering Storm - Robert Jordan/Brandon Sanderson, can't believe I want it to be winter again before the summer has even started but roll on November 3rd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Ian C

Gerry81 wrote: »
    A Memory of Light,Part 1:The Gathering Storm - Robert Jordan/Brandon Sanderson, can't believe I want it to be winter again before the summer has even started but roll on November 3rd.

Ah ffs, here was I thinking that I'd finally see the end of the series, and he's after turning the last book into 3 books!? When did that happen? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭seven-iron

no dan brown fans?

'The Lost Symbol' out in September. Another Landgen adventure, cant wait

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭markyedison

Really looking forward to Douglas Coupland's new one.
    Its out the 1st week in September.
    Planning to go see him at the Edinburgh Festival too:D
    http://www.coupland.com/2009/03/30/book-generation-a-2/

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

chenguin wrote: »
    I am looking forward to the new Kathy Reichs book ''206 Bones'' I always thoroughly enjoy her books.

Same.

Always look forward to reading her books.

Advertisement