Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Senate Debate on Late Late Show - March 20th 2009

Options
  • 21-03-2009 12:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭

Donie has done himself no favours by fighting angry. The Irish people dont like to be spoke at, and his reluctance to even re-evaluate the necessity will be seen as arrogant.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Pat Kenny just reminded me why I can't stand him :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

A republic needs a senate. But a strong senate with proper oversight resposibilties and not the retirement home and protege grooming scheme we have now.
    Are there republics out there without a senate?

When the 1937 constitution was drawn up it could have been rejected and Dev asked for a stronger President and a stronger Senate.
    But it didn't happen so realy, it could need a referendum to get rid of the senate.

I say keep it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Just listening to these fellas on the television, they honestly seem to have believe that they are royalty.

Is it the House of Lords?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Utter nonsense. Where on earth did you get the idea that a "republic needs a senate"? Are you running for the Seanad, or are you benefitting off somebody who is in it?

Seanad Éireann serves no purpose - none whatever - for this society. It is an elitist, parasitic, and profoundly undemocratic instituion that is the antithesis of this republic. It is also 2009, not 1709.

Should you ever think of one justification for it, come back to us and we can take you on very quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    Just listening to these fellas on the television, they honestly seem to have believe that they are royalty.

Completely agree, they were completely arrogant. They are paid far too much, that's the bottom line. The senate is undemocratic and useless. A republic is about democracy, so this senate can certainly be done away with (in response to the Republic point).

The Green senators had some cheek to suggest senate reform, jumping on the bandwagon, when they themselves were hand picked by Bertie Ahern.

Fascinating debate that has clearly shown how out of date and out of touch the senate is - literally and metaphorically.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Dannyboy83 wrote: »

I think the fact that Eoghan Harris wrote for Bertie, helped get him elected last time (with his Late Late performance) and was then nominated a 70,000 a year job is proof enough that it's jobs for the boys and needs to be completely reformed.

The senators came across poorly. "I do great work, I work all the hours god sends". They dont get the fact that the public are not saying that they dont work hard, just that they are not necessary or relevant and we cant afford them.

Fiona O'Malley, Donie Cassidy, Dan Boyle etc were rejected by the electorate who DO NOT want them governing the country so why should they be appointed by another undemocratic group to hold the (albeit minute) powers of the senate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 The Dote

It doesn't matter how hard the Senators work, the fact is that they have no power to do anything. end of. It simply comes back to jobs for the boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Well I think the Seanad should be reformed. I think the numbers should be reduced from 60 to 50, with the 10 seat reduction coming entirely from the Taoiseach's picks. This would give the Taoiseach one pick and put him under pressure to make it a good one.

The Seanad has a veto that it cannot use, mainly due to the 11 taoiseachs picks giving various governments ironclad majorities. The reduction I propose would eliminate this. The veto the Seanad has is when half the Seanad plus one third the Dail oppose a bill the bill has to be redrawn.

As for the argument the Seanad is undemocratic, that is a bit of codswallop. County Councillors, whom we all vote for elect the Seanad. County Councillors are our main direct public servants who we all vote for. The Seanad is part of our Bicameral legislature, let them and the Dail legislate.

Seems like a political masterstroke from Fine Gael to withdraw their participation on the show. Fianna Fail has come out of the debate looking dreadful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Rebelheart wrote: »
    Utter nonsense. Where on earth did you get the idea that a "republic needs a senate"? Are you running for the Seanad, or are you benefitting off somebody who is in it?

Yeah, I'm completly corrupt :rolleyes:
    Conspiracy Theories forum is that way ---->

I pulling this from America and France, the two most well know republics around, both have senates but read my point below.

Rebelheart wrote: »
    Seanad Éireann serves no purpose - none whatever - for this society. It is an elitist, parasitic, and profoundly undemocratic instituion that is the antithesis of this republic. It is also 2009, not 1709.

I agree.
    So either give it more power or scrap it.
    With proper oversight responsiblities it could do some good.
    But it doesn't have this. In Ireland we have a weak senate and a weak President.

• Advertisement

Well I think the Seanad should be reformed. I think the numbers should be reduced from 60 to 50, with the 10 seat reduction coming entirely from the Taoiseach's picks. This would give the Taoiseach one pick and put him under pressure to make it a good one.
    The Seanad has a veto that it cannot use, mainly due to the 11 taoiseachs picks giving various governments ironclad majorities. The reduction I propose would eliminate this. The veto the Seanad has is when half the Seanad plus one third the Dail oppose a bill the bill has to be redrawn.
    As for the argument the Seanad is undemocratic, that is a bit of codswallop. County Councillors, whom we all vote for elect the Seanad. County Councillors are our main direct public servants who we all vote for. The Seanad is part of our Bicameral legislature, let them and the Dail legislate.

The people don't vote for the senators, end of. Why should the Taoiseach get even one selection - that's undemocratic.

The salaries and expenses for senators are ridiculous. The arrogance showed by the senators on all sides was inconceivable and has probably made people otherwise indifferent to the matter, much more opinionated. Political car crash television - hopefully it will lead to an end to a pointless money spender.

The Dote wrote: »
    It doesn't matter how hard the Senators work, the fact is that they have no power to do anything. end of. It simply comes back to jobs for the boys.

That's exactly it.

The only reform it needs is abolishment.

I'm actually really glad they had this little debate because I would guarantee that probably the vast majority of Late Late Show viewers were probably unaware of either what the senate did or what it even was.

ateam wrote: »
    The people don't vote for the senators, end of.

Nope, the people do. In fact because more people can vote in Council elections ie people who cannot vote in Dail elections who elect the Senators who legislate in the Seanad. One could argue the Seanad is more democratic than the Dail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

County councillors and NUI grads surely?

County councillors and NUI grads surely?

Yep, + TCD grads too. Forgot about them.

Nope, the people do. In fact because more people can vote in Council elections ie people who cannot vote in Dail elections who elect the Senators who legislate in the Seanad. One could argue the Seanad is more democratic than the Dail.

I don't vote for a county councilor on the basis of his/her vote of a senator?

I did not vote any of the 60 members to the Seanad in 2007. It's undemocratic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Yep, + TCD grads too. Forgot about them.

TCD is part of the NUI system I'm fairly certain, along with DCU and UCD. Which means that some people have a personal vote and a co.co. vote (not that I think the latter is a valid excuse).

TCD is part of the NUI system I'm fairly certain, along with DCU and UCD. Which means that some people have a personal vote and a co.co. vote (not that I think the latter is a valid excuse).

Defending the indefensible.

TCD is seperate, it gets its own 3 Senators, Norris, Bacik and Shane Ross. NUI gets 3 too, Ronan Mullen, Joe O'Toole and Fergal Quinn.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭In my opinion

Trinity is a separate constituency. NUI is made up of the NUI colleges Galway, Maynooth UCC UCD. DCU and UL graduates have no vote!

I actually believe we need a senate but elected in a different way.

Thought Pat was very biased tonight.

I am not a senator nor have I ever been one likewise I am not a politician of any colour.

• Advertisement

Pat was excellent tonight, he caught the interviewees out a number of times.

Pat said..."But you are in office, despite losing an election. The people choose not to elect you, and now you got in a back way"

Donnie: "And what's wrong with that?"

The person asking the question at the end really shattered Donie, well done for him pursuing the question again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

And Donnie is Minister of Housing who is clueless to his portfolio.

Missed this show, glad it was aired though. Only a handful of those senators are good(Ross for example), the rest are political appointees who are has beens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

ateam wrote: »
    Seems like a political masterstroke from Fine Gael to withdraw their participation on the show. Fianna Fail has come out of the debate looking dreadful.

Yeah, God forbid that political debate seek the good of the people and of the state. Point-scoring is where it's at.

Senate would work much better as a countrywide party list. Would allow parties to "parachute" academics & experts into the senate, and would get rid of parish pump nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

Maybe the best way to elect senators would be to have some form of list system. The parties would nominate candidates to put on the list and the percentage vote the parties get in a general election would determine the people that would be appointed.

Since these people would not have a constituency to serve, they would have the time to scrutinise the bills and to serve on the comities to investigate any wrong-doing. They would also have the power to veto any legislation they thought was incomplete. They would be the Dail's watchdog.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Nope not at all. TCD is in the University of Dublin (and is the sole college in the university). The rest of the colleges are in the NUI (for the most part, I think DCU is outside of the two systems but don't quote me on that).

Now here's the kick in the teeth. The University of Dublin, i.e. Trinity elect as many Senators as the NUI does. The six university Senators are split into 2 pairs of 3, one pair elected by the NUI colleges and the other pair by Trinity grads.

Ludicrous tbh. But then, as a UCC grad I'd have to say that. ;)

People bitch about how graduates get to elect Senators but honestly everyone but Trinity grads are getting screwed over by the current system. My vote as a UCC grad counts for far less than if I was a Trinity grad (in that there are a lot more NUI grads than Trinity grads and the power of your vote is markedly less because of this).

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/government-in-ireland/national-government/houses-of-the-oireachtas/functions_of_the_seanad
    A typical working day for a Senator involves researching and preparing speeches for debate on social, economic and financial issues. Senators are also involved in drafting amendments to Bills and examining proposals for new legislation. They contribute to debates on Bills and other important matters. They vote on issues in the House.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

nesf wrote: »
    Nope not at all. TCD is in the University of Dublin (and is the sole college in the university). The rest of the colleges are in the NUI (for the most part, I think DCU is outside of the two systems but don't quote me on that).

Now here's the kick in the teeth. The University of Dublin, i.e. Trinity elect as many Senators as the NUI does. The six university Senators are split into 2 pairs of 3, one pair elected by the NUI colleges and the other pair by Trinity grads.

Ludicrous tbh. But then, as a UCC grad I'd have to say that. ;)

People bitch about how graduates get to elect Senators but honestly everyone but Trinity grads are getting screwed over by the current system. My vote as a UCC grad counts for far less than if I was a Trinity grad (in that there are a lot more NUI grads than Trinity grads and the power of your vote is markedly less because of this).

I too had an NUI vote. I must say I wasn't very impressed with the choice of candidates. It seems that TCD also had a better selection. I would have had no problem with Norris, Bacik or Ross.

There is something that has been puzzling me ever since though. Every candidate sent me two of everything. The amount of paper that came through my letterbox was astounding. Does anyone know why this was the case :confused::confused: ??

As regards the Late Late Show, Pat Kenny seemed very aggrieved at Fine Gael for refusing to attend. I must say I can't blame them. I thought the three who did were either very brave or somewhat foolhardy. I wonder how much notice they were given. Did they know what an aggressive introduction they were about to experience :eek:?? I'm not saying that Ian O'Doherty was wrong in what he said, but he really dragged them over the coals. It was quite startling. I'm sure we haven't heard the end of this ;)!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Koloman wrote: »
    Maybe the best way to elect senators would be to have some form of list system.

A party list system would be better suited for the dail wouldnt it, as in the results would be used to create the government. That way the government would ideologically represent the people. Oversight then by the reps of each constituency, to ensure to one area targeted.

I would keep party lists to a provincial basis, or the same as the Euro constituencies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 NaZionist

I noticed that the audience never applauded anything said by any of the senators yet they applauded many of the points made by those who spoke out against the Seanad. If that's a fair indication of what the general populace thinks of the Seanad they should shut the place now.

What sort of republic needs an elite to help govern them? Is someone who attended Trinity a better citizen then me? Should he have two votes? One exactly the same as me and then another in a private election that the vast majority of citizens never have access to but are bound by it's outcome?

On a different tack I find it hard to take seriously a man who is in denial about his own baldness. If he can't face reality on a personal level, what other facts does he deny? Donie you're bald, lose the wig, or at the very least get a new one that matches your hair colour. Who knows you could probably put in the receipt as an expense.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

I cannot believe people are still talking about "reform" of this ridiculous institution. As many have already said: it should be abolished without delay.

Anybody who defends this institution by pointing out its "consultative" aspect is clearly oblivious to the development of the Dáil's committee system, which does this much more extensively. The Seanad serves no consultative purpose, and certainly not one worth over €115,000 plus per annum per member. That is a stomach-turning amount of money. And to think that people such as Eoghan Harris receive it for public acts of political sycophancy....

This Late Late debate confirmed once again what we all know: the sole purpose of Seanad Éireann is to give jobs to the boys. Did you see Cassidy and the rest of them fight to keep their €115,000 plus jobs a year? It was cringe-inducing as these parasites attempted to defend their financial interests. The Green Party, in the form of Dan Boyle and Deirdre de Búrca, have also joined this ignominious and most reprehensible grouping in this recession. How they have lost the high moral ground and been purchased by this most unsavoury and unworthy aspect of the Irish political system.

Any institution that allows me to vote simply because I had the good fortune to have attended a particular university but refuses to allow my parents, who financed that attendance, to vote is beyond contemptible. Shame on anybody who exercises his/her right to vote in these elections given the sheer arrogance and distain which this institution holds for so many intelligent and hardworking citizens of Ireland. It is unworthy of us, our history, and the vibrant, efficient, dynamic and more egalitarian country which so many of us aspire to create.

Advertisement