Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Met Eireann Launch new 15 minute Radar on site

Options
  • 21-03-2009 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

Met.ie have beaten the Metoffice in the UK to it, and are now offering, free of charge, 15 minute radar data.

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

Looks neat and fair play to them. ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Excellent ! Shame it hasnt rained this week to see how it works :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Looking forward to seeing it when things get lively.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Looks very nifty indeed, the addition of county boundaries to the map is nice too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

trogdor wrote: »
    Looks very nifty indeed, the addition of county boundaries to the map is nice too
    yes a nice touch that,easier pick out when precip gonna hit home.wonder will they ever put a zoom on it for pinpoint accuracy,pigs might fly:D

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

redsunset wrote: »
    yes a nice touch that,easier pick out when precip gonna hit home.wonder will they ever put a zoom on it for pinpoint accuracy,pigs might fly:D

Try this one , use the toolbar on top of the image , zoom /toggle to your location , then save the setting , this radar usually very accurate .

http://www.meteogroup.co.uk/uk/home/weather/radar/united_kingdom.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

redsunset wrote: »
    I have zoom on my keyboard and use the zoom in firefox.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

kerry1960 wrote: »
    Try this one , use the toolbar on top of the image , zoom /toggle to your location , then save the setting , this radar usually very accurate .

http://www.meteogroup.co.uk/uk/home/weather/radar/united_kingdom.html

Surely this is using the same radar images from Met E Shannon & Dublin.
    I use rainfall radar on my mobile a lot as I work outdoors. I wish that it had a predictive/projected element & that the Shannon radar didn't keep failing. 15 mins is good but up till now the images have often been 30 mins late as it is now !.

Worryingly I can't seem to get on the mobile anymore. I keep getting error messages - "content blocked by operator".
    Edit: Just solved it by clearing all cookies, cache etc !

I emailed Met Eireann ages ago asking them to put in a play and pause function. Making it interactive wouldnt be too hard to code! I see they ignored my email :rolleyes:
    Map is alot nicer with the county boundaries, they could also do with an option to enlarge the map. Oh and options to change the map type - physical/political/satellite etc

Whats the point of a 15 min update ?. It's 19:26 & the radar is showing 18:46 !

I am amazed at the wi-fi interference. Just imagine the Yanks launching Armegeddon because of a wifi line on their radar !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

+1 for 15 minute refresh & county boundries.

Timeline toolbar to allow pause/play/forward/rewind would have been nice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Does not seem to be working very well at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Resolution looks a lot higher than on the old one.

Ctril and + on firefox a few times to zoom in nicely.

The animation is much smoother with 15 min updates but it's still running 30 - 45 mins late.

Either they haven't adjusted their clocks or its running one & half hours late !

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Damomanye

Discodog wrote: »
    Either they haven't adjusted their clocks or its running one & half hours late !
    The animation is much smoother with 15 min updates but it's still running 30 - 45 mins late.
    Whats the point of a 15 min update ?. It's 19:26 & the radar is showing 18:46 !
    15 mins is good but up till now the images have often been 30 mins late as it is now !.

How many times does one point need to be made. :P

It does look however that they just havnt added the hour to the Radar images recently. They'l sort it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭b28

the radar is now very handy because you know practically when the rain will hit by looking at it!

Advertisement