Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULSU elections 2009

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Robo_Mike

Just heard that Ruan got president, Fergal got CSO, Aoife Finnerty got Education and Aoife Ni Rathalaigh got communications........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭limericklady87

Well if thats the case, its fairly predictable...the latter two wouldnt be my preferred choices but meh...the words 'typical SU clique' comes to mind for those two ladies too! :rolleyes: good luck to them all though! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭thattequilagirl

Well if thats the case, its fairly predictable...the latter two wouldnt be my preferred choices but meh...the words 'typical SU clique' comes to mind for those two ladies too! :rolleyes: good luck to them all though! :)

Completely agree with the above.

I genuinely think Aoife Ni R will do a good job as editor, but I doubt she'll be making any radical changes, which is what I would have liked to have seen.

I expect big things from Ruan and Fergal, if they put half as much effort into the job as they did into their campaigns they'll do well. Kudos to campaign managers Derek and Paddy here, they were so dedicated!

I would have liked to have seen Emma in education, she was the only one offering anything new, but I expect Aoife's term as education officer will be more productive then that of her two immediate predecessors - not saying much, but still.

And now, the craic with Welfare, I've heard at least 6 names mentioned, 3 of them almost definite!

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭VivGrise

ya welfare will be good now that the main election is over! Overall it seems like a good team, good mix of experience and motivation between each canditate!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Congrats to all that got elected, its nice to see a Boardsie in office again, bes t of luck Ergonomics.

I'm obviously disappointed that DJCR didnt get elected for Education :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Robo_Mike wrote: »
    Just heard that Ruan got president, Fergal got CSO, Aoife Finnerty got Education and Aoife Ni Rathalaigh got communications........

Surprised by communication. Shuger.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Robo_Mike

And now, the craic with Welfare, I've heard at least 6 names mentioned, 3 of them almost definite!

And would you like to share with us who these names are???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 onedoubleo

Ah yes because Emma Kerins, DJCR & David Dolphin wouldn't be in cliques at all. In fact I must say that DJCR is the most ungracious loser I have ever some across in my time with SU elections.

Congratulations to all those who were elected and to those who werent comisserations. Im sure Ruan, Aoife, Ferghal and Aoife2 (I know for a fact that this has been discussed and Finnerty is Aoife 1) will do a fantastic job next year.

BTW one of the people interested in Welfare is Aoife Harney, although I also heard that 12 people were in asking about the position to the current officer

onedoubleo wrote: »
    Ah yes because Emma Kerins, DJCR & David Dolphin wouldn't be in cliques at all.

I'm not suggesting this at all..sure arent we all in cliques at the end of the day with groups of friends, im just referring to the typical SU crowd which has always been around... a lot of people reading this will know what i mean. Anyway, good luck to them all once again!:)

onedoubleo wrote: »
    In fact I must say that DJCR is the most ungracious loser I have ever some across in my time with SU elections.

Why do you say that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Mostly complete results. Note that I was getting most of these figures from a recording on someone's phone as I was working downstairs from the count till 10pm so there may be inaccuracies in the figures but I don't think there are, despite people cheering for some inexplicable reason when some of the results were announced. I'm ignoring quotas and all that as because it's always a small field and one seat, they're pretty much irrelevant. Simple speak is good. Also, I'm not bothering with total and valid polls as what I wrote down of that is incomplete. Congrats to the victors.

Communications:
    David Dolphin 1080
    Aoife Ni Raghallaigh 1193
    Ni Raghallaigh elected as she had more votes (in a two-horse race there's only one count anyway)

CSO:
    Darragh Bourke 383
    Fergal Dempsey 1278
    Michelle Lawlor 563
    Dempsey elected on first count as he had more votes than the other two put together

Education:
    David Ryan 538 ->+61 ->599 -> +132 -> 731
    Aoife Finnerty 941 ->+89 -> 1030 -> +233 -> 1263
    Emma Kerins 487 ->+69 -> 556 -> (191 non-transferable)
    Huw Thomas 313 -> (94 non-transferable)
    Finnerty elected on count 3, transfers are above (HT eliminated first, EK eliminated second, AF elected as she had more votes after count 3 than DJCR)

President:
    Mark Conway 268
    Ruan Dillon-McLoughlin 1467
    Eamonn Gardiner 594
    Dillon-McLoughlin elected on first count as he had more votes than the other two put together.

(note for the picky politics students: yes, I'm painfully aware of the procedure to follow when calculating and declaring a winner with regard to achieving or not achieving a quota. All that really matters in a single-seat constituency is whether it's still mathematically possible for someone else to catch you. Hence, above I'm dispensing with the quota stuff)

The referendum/plebiscite/call-it-what-you-will votes will be counted tomorrow. I doubt the lack of figures on that one will keep any of us awake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

sceptre wrote: »
    I doubt the lack of figures on that one will keep any of us awake.

It's 05:00 in Cairo and I'm still awake :/

Congrats to everyone who won....now I'm off to ponder an interesting but slightly disturbing night in Egypt.

has to be said there was a great atmosphere this year for the elections, i was talking to an american student and he said he never saw the like of it! :D

Well done to all the canditates!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭thattequilagirl

I'm not suggesting this at all..sure arent we all in cliques at the end of the day with groups of friends, im just referring to the typical SU crowd which has always been around... a lot of people reading this will know what i mean. Anyway, good luck to them all once again!:)

Emma had never been a class rep or sat on exec, so in that sense, no, she wan't really a part of the clique at all, unless involvement in one society now tarnishes you like that forever!

Names I've heard for Welfare (only posting the ones I'm reasonably confident will run) include Aoife Harney, 4th year Law and Euro, Siobhan Nolan, 4th year NME and Michael Twomey, current out in ul president.

Derek Daly was rumoured to go, but has since changed his mind I believe.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Well done to all the winners and comiserations to the non-winners, as Sceptre put it.

Nice to see we still have a boardsie involved. First UL and then the government! This site just needs to bide its time....

Oh I've said too much!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭sibh1

congratulations to all involved... Delighted that Aoife Ni won, I've heard her speak in class and she knows what she is talking about. I really think that An focal will go places under her direction. I also think Ruan will do great things this year and continue from pa.. who in my opinion has done his job well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭jkeire

Congratulations to everyone who was elected last night, especially Aoife Ní. It was hard work but great fun being her Campaign Manager and I really don't think there could have been a better person for the job this year. I'm looking forward to working with/for her next year.

On a side note, congrats to all the incumbent Sabbaticals for their hard work throughout the year, and once again, Aoife eile! She's been a star since the start of the year, even if she did get me feckin' tequila last night! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

jkeire wrote: »
    Congratulations to everyone who was elected last night, especially Aoife Ní. It was hard work but great fun being her Campaign Manager and I really don't think there could have been a better person for the job this year. I'm looking forward to working with/for her next year.

On a side note, congrats to all the incumbent Sabbaticals for their hard work throughout the year, and once again, Aoife eile! She's been a star since the start of the year, even if she did get me feckin' tequila last night! :p

Unfortunately I'm now regretting having tequila with you...and Aoife Ní...and many, many, many others...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

ULSU Sabbatical Officer Elections & Fees Plebiscite 2009

Thursday, 26 March 2009
    (week 9, Spring Semester AY 2008/09)

President
    Total Poll 2325
    Spoilt votes 33
    Valid Poll 2291
    Quota 1147

Conway, Mark 268
    Dillon-McLoughlin, Ruán 1467
    Gardiner, Eamon 594

Dillon McLoughlin elected on first count.

VP/Education Officer
    Total Poll 2299
    Spoilt votes 65
    Valid Poll 2234
    Quota 1118

Collison-Ryan, David James 538 599 731
    Finnerty, Aoife 941 1030 1263
    Kerins, Emma 487 556
    Thomas Huw 313
    Non-transferable 94 191

Finnerty elected on third count.

VP/Campaigns & Services Officer

Total Poll 2266
    Spoilt votes 101
    Valid poll 2165
    Quota 1083

Bourke, Darragh 383
    Dempsey, Fergal 1278
    Lawler, Michelle 553

Dempsey elected on first count.

VP/Communications Officer
    Total poll 2275
    Spoilt votes 30
    Valid poll 2245
    Quota 1123

Dolphin, David 1080
    Ni Raghallaigh, Aoife 1196

Ní Raghallaigh elected on first count.

Plebiscite on alternatives to exchequer funded third level tuition fees.

Total poll 2279
    Spoilt votes 187
    Valid poll 2092

Option 1 666 31.8%
    A loan system, repayable at a future date, based on the future salary of each student reaching a certain level

Option 2 187 8.9%
    A graduate tax whereby all graduates pay a premium percentage of their wage for the entirety of their working life

Option 3 152 7.3%
    A levy on all income earners, regardless of attending a third level course i.e. an increase in general taxation

Option 4 1087 52.0%
    I am opposed to alternatives to exchequer-funded third level tuition fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Plebiscite on alternatives to exchequer funded third level tuition fees.

Total poll 2279
    Spoilt votes 187
    Valid poll 2092

Option 1 666 31.8%
    A loan system, repayable at a future date, based on the future salary of each student reaching a certain level

Option 2 187 8.9%
    A graduate tax whereby all graduates pay a premium percentage of their wage for the entirety of their working life

Option 3 152 7.3%
    A levy on all income earners, regardless of attending a third level course i.e. an increase in general taxation

Option 4 1087 52.0%
    I am opposed to alternatives to exchequer-funded third level tuition fees.

Now, I must say I'm surprised that the loan system polled that high, but considering that I expected it to behind the winner (which the question circumvents in any case) I though students would be greedy and asked everyone else to pay up through a general income levy. Overall I must say that I am happy with that result considering the only group to run a campaign on the issue had posters everywhere telling people to vote 4.

I would like to pay tribute to all candidates and campaign teams, especially my own team behind Ruán, in particular Eimear O'Donnell who worked like [insert inoffensive hardworking cliché here]. It was ultimately the army on the ground that swung it so far in Ruán's favour, well, that and my cunning sausage roll plan.

I have no doubt that all the lads will do an excellent job, and if nobody else holds Ruán to his campaign manifesto, I'll certainly be reminding him:pac:

I had some really insightful and enjoyable conversations with campaign managers and candidates alike lastnight, both successful and unsuccessful and all were extremely happy that this year's elections have gotten people out to vote. With polls in excess of 2,300 democracy was definitely stronger this year than in previous years

Welfare
    I have not yet finalised my decision as to whether I will run. I can, however confirm that Aoife Harney has engaged a potential campaign manager (something I have yet to do), Ciaran Lyne (MSc Financial Services) has been back again asking when nominations re-open, Mike Toomey still has the matter under consideration as well as Tony Sheridan's candidacy yet to be confirmed or denied. Caitriona has definitely ruled out running for a second term as of today, while Aoife Walsh (HPSS) actually had the form filled out and ready to go last week for close of initial nominations and is now kicking herself. Mark Conway has said he will consider it, and given the experience he gathered this week, could mount a stronger campaign in week 12 (If Class Reps so decide.) Almost forgot Jim O'Callaghan, and he may have been joking but Paul Bellew said he's at a lose end next year :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Falcon.ie

ninty9er wrote: »
    Almost forgot Jim O'Callaghan, and he may have been joking but Paul Bellew said he's at a lose end next year :)

Jim's seriously thinking of going for it as far as I know. When are nominations for Welfare Officer closing??

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Falcon.ie wrote: »
    Jim's seriously thinking of going for it as far as I know. When are nominations for Welfare Officer closing??
    Short answer: no-one knows for sure yet. Long answer below.

Class reps set the date. Realistically, they set the date under advisement from the SU exec. They're not due to meet until Tuesday of next week AFAIK. If nominations open the very next day, it'd be nine university days after that (nominations stay open for five days, elections happen on the fourth day after they close). The complication is that the week after next is a week off and none of those days count as university days.

Checking my calendar (and I'm correctable here), the earliest possible date is April 20 (class reps meet March 31 AFAIK, plus five weekdays for nominations, plus five weekdays for holidays, plus four weekdays for campaigning). As that's a Monday I suspect everyone is unlikely to want an election that day - it complicates campaigning. Not that campaigning in week 12 if there are two people going for it is convenient anyway:) Either way, looks like teaching week 12 to me.

Having said that, for the sheer convenience of everyone (candidates, the SU, students and the rest of the universe), while there's a constitutionally mandated period of five days for nominations, if that can be ignored for a moment and let's think about for four days of nomination instead and if it was publicised enough that no-one could rationally complain (and by that I mean an email sent to all students with the subject line "ULSU: want to be welfare office for 2009/10?"), elections could happen on Friday of teaching week 11. I'll bet all the candidates would prefer it, students would be non-plussed about it and for the sheer convenience of it, I'd do that. Or get class reps next Tuesday to approve a post ipso facto setting of the date for the Friday, after opening nominations on the morning of the CRC meeting. Precedent is there, even if it was just last November. It's not the most desirable method but shortening nominations by one day is hardly usurping democracy, particularly when by that point prospective candidates could have had their nomination forms for over a month and more than likely would have had them for three weeks. Paranoid as the SU may be about following the rules to the letter after last weekend (or maybe not, I'm making an assumption), if it's announced early enough and loudly enough it won't be a problem, legal or otherwise. That's assuming that class reps don' t all go off in a huff and change the date but realistically the odds of that happening are longer than people from Mars landing tomorrow.

So that'd be week 12 or maybe the end of week 11 then:D

Technically, the University has classed the week off as Week 11 as opposed to not classing it, so there's an argument for nominations to close during the holidays to speed the whole thing up as it can be classed as University days. I doubt that the place will be devoid of staff and students and I'm quite sure the Library and other buildings will be open.

So it seems that our alternative, when it eventually does come to it, is the loan system.

It was the result I had hoped for, but I was quite busy running a campaign this week, added to the fact that it appeared on the front page of the last An Focal and an article appeared in Tuesday's which, although written by a politically active student, was unbiased in its representation of the options. Running a campaign on referenda is usually pointless as people are very unlikely to be swayed in any case, and nobody reads posters with text on them, which would have been necessary.

1005 vs 1087 students were willing to pay in some way for education, which confirms my view that the Union was ignoring the wishes of a significant minority of students.

Given that the 1087 are in favour of the status quo, which was only on the ballot paper because I couldn't be bothered fighting incessantly about the pointlessness of it being there (I did for 30 minutes but had another meeting to go to which I was already late for), is not an alternative, the relevant votes cast are for options 1-3. Meaning as a form of paying for education 66.3% favour a loan system to be repaid when earning a salary in the future (figure floated is €35k min), 18.6% favour a graduate tax and 15.1% would use a levy a la Fine Gael.

Also the statement in the original post (which was probably on the psoter had I bothered to read it) that the proposal came from the Chair of UL Ógra Fianna Fáil is factually incorrect.

The proposal came from Derek Daly (here I go talking about myself in the 3rd person), registered student of UL, and was passed by Union General Meeting. Despite the inconvenience it has caused, and the embarassment it may have caused the Union's "No Fees" stance, which is still intact in any case as this is a bargaining tool not a stance, it shows, that there are actually some students out there who can see the wood for the trees.

the tax the rich idea is an old one, that failed in the 80s and would fail again. Everyone is going to pay more tax in future and to think that it would go to 3rd levels from the exchequer is a laughable concept.

To counter the argument of €28k of debt, the average 4 year degree is costed by UL at €21k. If earning €35k you wouldn't make payments on all of it, just the first year's tuition. A loan system is the only system whereby a university would get a fee for each student as opposed to a block grant bearing little or no relation to the cost of degrees or exact amount of students. Under this system as opposed to a tax based system, 10,000 undergrads = €52.5 million, given an average degree price of €5,250. The loan cold not be drank as it is in the form of a loan for tuition and nothing else.

The reg fee if reduced to €500 would bring in €2.5 million since apparently approx 50% of UL students don't pay it as they are grant aided.

So now we have €55 million and a government with a lowered expenditure, which means room for reform and increased grant provisions.

Maybe if I had gone and spoon-fed that to people It would have gotten more support, but given that I didn't I'm quite happy with the result.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 JR09

I cant believe that no one went for the position of welfare, i am so kicking myself now that i didnt !!! any idea wen the nomination will open and indeed what is the story with nominations , i have never contested before but i am really on for it now.

Class Reps will decide on Tuesday what the story is with nominations and the date for elections. I wouldn't hold out too much hope for a date before week 12.

I've already spoken to my graduate employers who have kindly agreed to put me to second round interview next year should I decide to run and win, but need to tell my summer job now that I may not be in a position to take them up on their kind offer.

I got a funny look when I said I might be turning down a job in this climate, never mind turning down 2:D

can i have your summer job so pretty please!?:p:p

too scared to book flights to go away for july incase i dont get a job for end of may/june in limk... damn this recession...

It's in a bank so they may or may not pull it before the summer the way things are going....there's already a queue formed in front of you though:pac:

Will negotiate for votes;)

Nominations for Welfare will open on Friday 17th April (Week 11) @ 9am.

Nominations close on Thursday 23rd April (Week 12) @ 6pm.

Election will take place on Wednesday 29th April (Week 13), as will the election for PSA President.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭sibh1

I cam confirm that I will indeed definately be putting myself in the running for Welfare officer...

Best of luck to all

Siobhan Nolan

Advertisement