Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULSU elections 2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I'm not rumoured to be running anyways.

My paperwork was done, dusted, signed sealed and delivered on Monday morning.

Add
    -Ciaran Lyne
    -Damien Wade

to rumoured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 JR09

When does the full list become available ??? Let the madness begin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭Robo_Mike

Well as nominations closed at 6 this evening everyone who is running should have their forms in by now.... Unless there is another fiasco like communications... So the list will surely be published this evening or tomorrow....:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

The candidates for dp/welfare are:
    • Derek Daly
    • Ciaran Lyne
    • Damien Wade
    Michael Bourke was deemed elected unopposed for the position of PSA president

Well done to michael and good luck to the 3 welfare candidates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭NiamhDunk

cant wait for the next few days. its gonna be epic. cant beat the excitement of student politics....

barry why did u decide against running???

• Advertisement

I find it interesting that
    a) All the candidates are male
    b) All the candidates are Business Students

Given that the candidates and managers meeting is on tomorrow at 12pm, I will not be making my manifesto and Facebook available until tomorrow evening at the earliest. I may leave it off until Sunday.

I look forward to meeting meeting some of you over the next week (and hopefully the next year).

If you have any questions feel free to drop me a pm.

Derek

Business Students...

Arguably the only students who could afford to not study during week 13!!!:p:p:p

NiamhDunk wrote: »
    Business Students...

Arguably the only students who could afford to not study during week 13!!!:p:p:p

I did think that myself....in fairness it's probably not far wide of the mark...if you had the work done already...which I don't having been involved in the week 9 elections too.

But anywho.....

So the names are out - 3 guys !
    Do we know anything about them. Is it true there all business ppl ??

Derek Daly, 4th Year BBS

Ciaran Lyne, MSc Financial Services

Damien Wade, Grad Dip Business (Ed)

Now it's my turn to create the suspense:D

• Advertisement

suspense ???

JR09 wrote: »
    suspense ???
    Lets just say it was very intense waiting to see who else was going to run.

Not so much suspense I suppose.

I feel odd giving a description of myself. It'll all be in the manifesto.

ninty9er wrote: »
    Derek Daly, 4th Year BBS

interesting that all three candidates would have been finishing up in UL this year also...a sign of the recession perhaps? there must be no jobs going for the graduates of the KBS these days!!!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

barry why did u decide against running???

I wasn't sure if i could give 100% commitment to the position for the year and as such i wasnt going to ask students to vote me into a role i may not have been able to fufill.

Thanks to all the students who signed my form, offered to vote for me and especially the guys who offered to campaign for me during study week

If you go back 2 pages you'll see I have a grad job (which I have to re-interview for if I get Welfare with no guarantee of a place - YES I have been told I'm nuts....numerous times by numerous people!) and also an answer pending on a summer job.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

interesting that all three candidates would have been finishing up in UL this year also...a sign of the recession perhaps? there must be no jobs going for the graduates of the KBS these days!!!;)

Every member of the Sabbat-Elect team is finishing up in UL this year.

If you go back 2 pages you'll see I have a grad job (which I have to re-interview for if I get Welfare with no guarantee of a place - YES I have been told I'm nuts....numerous times by numerous people!) and also an answer pending on a summer job.:D

ah man you are MAD !! we are in a recession and your throwing a job away ?

Where do i get a copy of the candidates manifestos ? do the ppl place them in the su or where ???

best of luck with it dude !

wen do they husts take place ?

ah man you are MAD !! we are in a recession and your throwing a job away ?

Where do i get a copy of the candidates manifestos ? do the ppl place them in the su or where ???

best of luck with it dude !

I guarantee you will have no problem finding manifestos. They'll appear online. They'll come through your letterbox. They'll be handed to you everywhere you go on campus.
    wen do they husts take place ?

Tuesday at 2.30 in the Stables Courtyard, I think.

ergonomics wrote: »
    Tuesday at 2.30 in the Stables Courtyard, I think.

Tuesday at 2:30 is correct at the moment. Though I'm assuming that'll have to be cleared by candidates and managers at the meeting tomorrow afternoon.

Best of luck with whatever it is you choose to do this year Baz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

Derek Daly, 4th Year BBS

Now it's my turn to create the suspense:D

2 postgrads and 1 undergrad...............

Interesting from a voter base point of view.... if of course one was to look at it on face value!!!

Hustings is going to be moved. Most likely to 11:30 am on Tuesday. Confirmation on Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 DCJR

Hustings is going to be moved. Most likely to 11:30 am on Tuesday. Confirmation on Monday.

Oh, how exciting.

Can't wait, it should be really fun. Best of luck to all candidates and to Barry also, sorry to hear you dropped out but if you can't dedicate all you're time to the position then it's probably for the best.

:D:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭bustertherat

bazkennedy wrote: »
    I wasn't sure if i could give 100% commitment to the position for the year and as such i wasnt going to ask students to vote me into a role i may not have been able to fufill.

Thanks to all the students who signed my form, offered to vote for me and especially the guys who offered to campaign for me during study week

I felt absolutely betrayed when i discovered that Barry had withdrawn from the race. This will end up being a one horse race with prize pony Daly scaring off all the competition.

Like was said in An Focal recently, I only wihs that I had extensive resources to expend upon and mount a campaign against Il Duce

Regarding Barry's inability to fully commit to the position, I only wish i had known this information before signing his form and turning down offers to campaign for other candidates.

PS: screw Flanders!!

I felt absolutely betrayed when i discovered that Barry had withdrawn from the race. This will end up being a one horse race with prize pony Daly scaring off all the competition.

Like was said in An Focal recently, I only wihs that I had extensive resources to expend upon and mount a campaign against Il Duce

Regarding Barry's inability to fully commit to the position, I only wish i had known this information before signing his form and turning down offers to campaign for other candidates.

PS: screw Flanders!!

I dont think so , mr daly is mr fianna fail , he is also the guy who brought forward the motion on fees - Quote from An Focal "mr daly explained that the results were a slight shock as he expected students would opt for the grad tax" is he for real ???

if any of the other two lads mount any type of campaign i think they can easily challenge him ---- anyone know them ??? When does the campaign start ??

I would like also to point out i am not assoc with any campaign or cand before anyone comes back at me. i am jst so fed up of UL su , there are all in bed with each other ,, all assoc with each other ..... mad ! it gonna be hard on anyone running a campaign next week in study week....

im looking for some excitment , sori about the rant !

This will end up being a one horse race with prize pony Daly scaring off all the competition.
    Elections are won on the basis of candidates, their committment to the campaign and the level of campaign they mount. Okay...prize pony??? WTF?? Nobody was scared off by me. I'd rather not have to run a campaign in week 13, but needs must and I haven't taken the decision lightly.

As for this:
    Define extensive resources please. Because if it's my bank account you're referring to there's a substantial deficit in it before any campaign concerns are taken into account.

I dont think so , mr daly is mr fianna fail , he is also the guy who brought forward the motion on fees - Quote from An Focal "mr daly explained that the results were a slight shock as he expected students would opt for the grad tax" is he for real ???
    If I was to change my name by deed poll, Fianna Fáil wouldn't exactly spring to mind. Daly suits just fine thanks. My shock was at the result favouring a loan system OVER grad tax as you would know if you read the article, and would be clear if you quoted what I said for the article. Obviously you have a gripe with me, take it up with me in person thanks!
    if any of the other two lads mount any type of campaign i think they can easily challenge him ---- anyone know them ??? When does the campaign start ??
    Campaign is under way.
    i am jst so fed up of UL su , there are all in bed with each other ,, all assoc with each other ..... mad ! it gonna be hard on anyone running a campaign next week in study week....
    I'm not exaclty running because I want to sit and continue to do everything exactly the same and add nothing to the mix. I'm running because I see areas where student representation can be increased and developed and particularly in terms of health, more services can be provided on campus and more information campaigns can be run.
    im looking for some excitment , sori about the rant !
    You're perfectly entitled to your rant really. I take what you say on board, but I think you'll find if you ask around that I'm not one for sitting on my laurels and not fighting for things and on behalf of clubs and societies as is my current role. It just so happens due to the Union structure that the people that take my ranting to the powers that be further up the food chain are members of the current sabbat team.

Disliking me because of my affiliations is one thing, but to make an uninformed voter decision based on them, I find to be more than a little unfair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭bustertherat

As for this:

Define extensive resources please. Because if it's my bank account you're referring to there's a substantial deficit in it before any campaign concerns are taken into account.

Extensive resources, referring to the fact that i'm not a junior Brian Cowen and dont have political party funding to bankroll a campaign for welfare officer.

i am jst so fed up of UL su , there are all in bed with each other

as was witnessed by the elections in week 9 and will be evidenced by Daly's victory this wednesday.

Instead of the Students Union how about we rename it 'Daly's faction' or 'Cowen's boys' or 'UL splinter group'

"Daly Campaign Victory Party in the common room (aka headquarters) this wednesday 8pm. free food and drink.invitations restricted to only those with faction membership"

i am jst so fed up of UL su , there are all in bed with each other

Here is a picture of the new SU bed ordered recently. It should fit all five sabbats perfectly for next year.:D :p
    i begs not sleeping next to dempsey :p

Honu_bed.jpg

Extensive resources, referring to the fact that i'm not a junior Brian Cowen and dont have political party funding to bankroll a campaign for welfare officer.
    General Election candidates don't get HQ funding, Local Election candidates don't get HQ funding, European candidates don't get HQ funding. What makes you think that anyone in HQ would even notice I'm running??
    Instead of the Students Union how about we rename it 'Daly's faction' or 'Cowen's boys' or 'UL splinter group'

"Daly Campaign Victory Party in the common room (aka headquarters) this wednesday 8pm. free food and drink.invitations restricted to only those with faction membership"
    Oh definitely, because we all know I have 1,400 votes in every election and every other student gets no vote:rolleyes:

Anyone from ANY campaign team is free to attend the party the SU puts on, but don't let the facts get in your way.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

Tut Tut... Lets all go mental at the SU without actually doing anything to change the problems we persieve to be in it.

I notice you were disappointed at Baz Kennedy not running [me too btw].... I know not of anyone else (Execpt myself according to An Focal) who is more up to their nether regions in SU politics!!

ps. does anyone know who DCJR is.... I think I may have my first Political groupie!!:D:D:D:D:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

• Advertisement

Why is it such a foreign concept that students who run an election might actually save up in advance?

Those who run an election don't just wake up on the day nominations close and decide to run. They think about it for weeks, even longer, and start planning how to fund it.

Everyone's very quick to point the finger with regards to funds, but no one ever thinks that the person might simply have saved their money. Honestly, why is that so hard to believe, especially when it is the simplest and most obvious answer?

Advertisement