Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULSU elections 2009

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

"Daly Campaign Victory Party in the common room (aka headquarters) this wednesday 8pm. free food and drink.invitations restricted to only those with faction membership"

If there's free food and drink can I join the faction temporarily? Free food and drink ftw.
    ergonomics wrote: »
    Everyone's very quick to point the finger with regards to funds, but no one ever thinks that the person might simply have saved their money. Honestly, why is that so hard to believe, especially when it is the simplest and most obvious answer?

Because conspiracy theories and ****e stirring are so much more fun than simple and obvious explanations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

rmacm wrote: »
    If there's free food and drink can I join the faction temporarily? Free food and drink ftw.
    More than welcome, but due to mod restrictions above we'll have to cloak and dagger it by PM;)

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

ninty9er wrote: »
    More than welcome, but due to mod restrictions above we'll have to cloak and dagger it by PM;)

Well you'd be well used to that coming from the FF ranks!!!

I sense a tribunal coming on :D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Extensive resources, referring to the fact that i'm not a junior Brian Cowen and dont have political party funding to bankroll a campaign for welfare officer.
    Accepting such a donation is specifically prohibited by the SU constitution. It would be enough to get someone kicked from an election.

Leaving that aside, while I'm a fan of the notion that anyone who puts themselves forward for an elected office (or gets elected to that office) should be reasonably prepared for the rough and tumble of life that elected officials get, assuming you've got no evidence that the candidate to whom you're referring is getting money from FF HQ (and I think I can safely assume that you don't), do the world a favour and stop making unfounded accusations against someone that either you don't like or someone whose politics you don't like. Unfounded, unfair and you're doing your own position no favours by smearing dirt like that. It makes you look silly, not the person you're trying to smear. It's perfectly OK to talk about the amount of money spent on elections in general (which always seems to be increasing) but accusing someone of being funded by a political party because they happen to be a member of a political party is at best misguided and at worst informationally retarded.

So another candidate that you supported dropped out and you felt betrayed? Welcome to reality. Signing someone's nomination form doesn't act as a promise to you that they will run, they're perfectly free to drop out of the race at any time. Take it up with that candidate in person if you feel like it. You may have turned down requests for help from other candidates but I doubt that they'd tell you to sod off if you went to them and let them know that your preferred candidate dropped out and they're the next best thing. They might even thank you for it.

The second paragraph above is less important than the first. To stress the first, don't make unfounded accusations against people in this forum. Especially if they're also forum users but not just if they're forum users. This isn't a warning I intend to repeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

ergonomics wrote: »
    Why is it such a foreign concept that students who run an election might actually save up in advance?

Or get a hefty overdraft, or do Ignition to try and get a refund on their car insurance, or pay 3 months car tax instead of the whole year....all of which are strategies I'm employing.

• Advertisement

I've started a new thread for the welfare elections as this is the current happening and so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

Ok here's my two cents:
    1. In regards people feeling disapointed and betrayed at me pulling out of the race, i'm sorry but i think i made the right decision for myself. There is a few reasons why i made the decision (some which i'll discuss publicly, others are personal). as i said before i wouldn't go for a job that I couldn't give 100% commitment to for the full year. I've at least another two years here so there's plenty of time for me to run.
    2. If you feel this way, please contact me and let me know how you feel.
    3. I'm sorry if you signed my form and this prevented you from signing someone elses (you can second people all you want you know) or if it stopped someone from running- this i didn't want and i'm sorry if it happened (again please come talk to me)
    4. I, in no way, stand by the allegations regarding the funding of anyone's campaign. I will admit to have been surprised at the size of some of the campaigns in recent years but never have i felt that anything underhand was going on
    5. I wholeheartedly believe SU politics and party politics should remain seperate. However the kind of people who run for SU positions do tend to be politicially minded and are often members of political parties- this doesn't mean they are standing as the party candidate
    Hope that makes sense
    Barry "Baz" Kennedy

PS i'm hoping to stay neutral in this one folks

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

bazkennedy wrote: »
    1. I'm sorry if you signed my form and this prevented you from signing someone elses (you can second people all you want you know) or if it stopped someone from running- this i didn't want and i'm sorry if it happened (again please come talk to me)
    If some one didn't have the confidence in themselves to run for the position against you they had no right running in the first place. You have no need to apologise!!!

bazkennedy wrote: »
    (you can second people all you want you know)
    Indeed. At a rough count, including the welfare race and the extra education race last Autumn I think I signed thirteen nomination forms in the sabbatical elections this year (as I work in the scholars, I'm easy pickings). At least one of those prospective candidates didn't run in the end.

As Barry isn't running I feel free to say that when I was chair of last year's Electoral & Referenda board, Barry (who was also on the board as a class rep nominee) was an amazing help in both the elections for part-time officers and the sabbatical officer elections last April, especially given that the only reward he was going to get out of it was a thanks and probably a hurried one. I wish him the best and hope he'll be up for actually running for election at some point in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

ninty9er wrote: »

While I'd love a trip to Limerick I'm afraid this week is going to be pretty busy so I'll pass no matter how tempting the free food and booze are.

• Advertisement
Advertisement