Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog advice needed

Options
  • 21-03-2009 1:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

hi myself and my partner have a six month old collie, during the day when we are in work we leave her in the back garden where she has her kennel fresh food and water and multiple toys, some just left on the ground others tied from trees, we have tried to make it enjoyable for her, but my work situation has changed and i am now having to work longer hours and our dog could be on her own from 10 o'clock to 8 a few days a week, i take her on a half an hour walk before work then again for around an hour or so after work and for 15 or 20 minutes before bed so we get a good bit of exercise. so to ask the question am i being cruel to our dog and if so what can i do to correct the problem, giving her up is a last resort, she gets plenty of attention whilst we are with her, should we start letting her sleep upstairs with us in order to reduce the total amount of time she is alone any suggestions welcome,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

wrote:
    what can i do to correct the problem
    Im not really sure what the problem is. If you're worried about the length of time on her own then dont be you've already said:
    i take her on a half an hour walk before work then
    wrote:
    again for around an hour or so after work
    wrote:
    and for 15 or 20 minutes before bed so we get a good bit of exercise

To me that seems a reasonable amount of exercise for a dog of that size/breed. Dont feel guilty you seem to be doing good!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I don't think there are many dogs that could cope that amount of solitude and confinement, not to mind a juvenile dog - and a collie to boot. They're just not designed for sitting around and they need a lot more exercise than you have the time to give. I know you're doing your best (the toys are great) but really a collie needs a lot more stimulation than you can currently provide. It's a very sad situation for a young collie to be in - that's my honest opinion. :(

Have a read of this:

http://www.wiccaweys.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

Is it the lack of company for her that you are concerned about? Could you arrange for someone to call in during the day - family/friend/neighbour or paid dog walker?

Not sure where you live but Dog Training Ireland now have a doggy daycare facility & have heard nothing but very good things about it:

http://www.dogtrainingireland.ie/daycare/

Pity there aren't more facilities lik this around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

A dog walker, even 3 times a week would be a great way to break up the day for your collie.

Also, have you any of those chewey Kongs? Apparently, you make a paste for the inside and freeze it - dogs love 'em!

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

While she is still young would you consider getting another dog? Our collie-cross has been so much happier ever since we got him a terrier sister :)

We are gone from half eight but one of us gets home at 4pm. Still it is better for all of us now that there are 2 doggies entertaining each other (and wrecking the place ) so they are never lonely.

Dunno if the option of a 2nd dog would....but its something to consider!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 soulstaf

You seem to be giving her plenty of physical exercise but make sure she gets even more mental exercise. Being a collie they needs lots!!!

Use games that burn off this energy- collies love to stalk and chase objects. Create games that will involve these activities. You could also start some training with her, clicker training or agility are good mental energy burners:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Rush@)=(~

your doing great 4 ur situation-enough exersice things to do..ect..ect
    if u start to feel really bad would u consider another dog to keep the 1st one happy and so it has company
    but other than that u doing great

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I don't see how another dog will help if there's a limited time someone will be at home another dog will not help the situation it's double the work and although company for the other dog even if you had 5 dogs they would still want their owner home or walks etc.

The time the op is giving is good, and the weekends can make up for some of it. Dogs get used to routines so if there's something extra on a weekend like a trip to the forest or a day on the beach etc. that can help. A dog walker could be another option as well someone reliable to take the dog out to help break up the day or even a family member if they are willing.

If your longer working days are only for a couple of days a week then those are the days a dog walker would come in handy.

I think routine is the key, collies do need a job to do but they can also get used to a good routine. My collie has always been more of a sprinter than the type of collie that would go non stop. Even when she was younger she prefers to have a mad session and a good chase of the ball and then plonk rather than very long walks. But that's her other collies can prefer the opposite but I think it's a matter of routine.

As said a weekend can be a way of making it up, perhaps having the dog inside at night as well will give you that quality time. The dog will be with you all evening they will happily cuddle up, usually once you start moving around they'll just follow you around like a shadow. Then the dog can cuddle up at night with you although this might lead to other problems and the dog could become more attached and miss you more when you're gone.

Either way something like a dog walker would help in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Skillie

hi myself and my partner have a six month old collie, during the day when we are in work we leave her in the back garden where she has her kennel fresh food and water and multiple toys, some just left on the ground others tied from trees, we have tried to make it enjoyable for her, but my work situation has changed and i am now having to work longer hours and our dog could be on her own from 10 o'clock to 8 a few days a week, i take her on a half an hour walk before work then again for around an hour or so after work and for 15 or 20 minutes before bed so we get a good bit of exercise. so to ask the question am i being cruel to our dog and if so what can i do to correct the problem, giving her up is a last resort, she gets plenty of attention whilst we are with her, should we start letting her sleep upstairs with us in order to reduce the total amount of time she is alone any suggestions welcome,

i commend your compassion and empathy for your dog, fair play to you. Kongs are the best toys really get a few and stuff them with her food and freeze them etc, they will tire her out a bit and stimulate her midn. you can get some metal excercise toys on zooplus too. maybe as people have suggested a dog walker or a companion could help. best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Unusually I have to disagree with GPR. I suspect that a second dog would make a huge difference. I was a "one dog man" but now I would always have two. It is just so much easier. Dogs are social pack animals. If you have one then you are the only other pack member.

My two do everything together & a short walk with two dogs playing together means a lot of exercise in a short time. Just make sure that they get on before you leave them & choose a time when you can gradually increase the time that they are left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Skillie wrote: »
    i commend your compassion and empathy for your dog, fair play to you. Kongs are the best toys really get a few and stuff them with her food and freeze them etc, they will tire her out a bit and stimulate her midn. you can get some metal excercise toys on zooplus too. maybe as people have suggested a dog walker or a companion could help. best of luck

I have Kongs but is it the paste in them that ya freeze or what?

Or is it that ya put water in around the food and freeze so they've to work harder to get it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

I agree with alot of people above who have suggested getting another dog. We got a second pup and the older one is alot happier now as a result.

Maybe try your local rescue centre and explain your situation to them - they should be able to recommend a dog to suit you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

I'd go with get another dog too. Dogs get lonely too you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Skillie

Lemlin wrote: »
    I have Kongs but is it the paste in them that ya freeze or what?

Or is it that ya put water in around the food and freeze so they've to work harder to get it out?

tbh the paste is great but its expensive, you can do lots of things, the like ice on its own!! put in a little wet food with kiddle and freeze, put in some dry food ad water and freeze, stuff some sauage meet in there with kibble etc etc the options are fairly large. we don't feed ours wet food cos its the devil but a little in a kong here and there is ok by me and it freezes very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭bubblewrap

Get her a brother or sister! :D

I hate leaving my dog on his own, he gives me a sad face but lets face it, they sleep most of the day anyway (I sneaked in on him a few times when I finished work early and there he was snoring away!). :D

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭beth-lou

I would also recommend a second dog.
    Our first dog settled right down when we got her a companion.
    They play all day and don't get lonely.
    Yes they love you to be around, but in your absence it is nice for them to have another to play with and snuggle up to. They are dogs after all and they are pack animals.

I found double dogs, half the problem.
    I then progressed on to four, but you don't have to consider that.
    But two generally will keep each other very happy. Just make sure you pick a dog she gets on with and I found an older, more settled dog did the trick. The rescue centres are great for that.

Best of luck. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 happypuppy

Skillie - On Kong website they give recipes for stuffing the Kong. My puppy loves this one - a banana mashed together with tablespoon of yogurt and 2 tablespoons of wheatgerm. Freeze it for four hours and he has hours of fun with it. It's great. Paste you buy is good too but gets expensive !

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭ahaaha

OP you obviously are a very compassionate person who obviously cares so much for her little puppy... i do agree with perhaps gettin a little buddy for your dog, if you have the space. what extra work would it be? yes, there will be more expense but they would be fed, watered and walked together after all. my brother got a friend for his lab and she is far more placid in the evenings when they come home from all the playing they do all day. id love to get one for my dog cos i feel so guilty (but my partner has lunch at home so that breaks the day for him) but i just dont have the space :(

Advertisement