Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Compact flash to SD / SDHC converter?

• 21-03-2009 1:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭

Anyone got any opinions on this product:

http://www.virtuavia.eu/shop/index.php?target=products&product_id=29867&sl=EN

I was thinking about getting something similar and then using sdhc cards in my Canon 40d - instead of using compact flash cards.

My reasoning:
    1) sdhc is cheaper than cf
    2) easier to make quick changes of cards
    3) could just leave the converter in there - avoids worry of bending pins in the card bay
    4) sdhc ports more common on laptops etc for uploads
    5) Compact flash just seems so archaic to be honest.

One drawback would be that the data rate is only as fast as the converter can manage.

I'd be interested on what people thought on this (or if it has been asked before - I did a quick search already).

Anyone really clued up on card prices? In general how much cheaper are sd cards vs. cf cards for the same capacity and speed?

All input welcome.
    Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Buzz Killington

Howitzer wrote: »
    Anyone got any opinions on this product:

http://www.virtuavia.eu/shop/index.php?target=products&product_id=29867&sl=EN

I was thinking about getting something similar and then using sdhc cards in my Canon 40d - instead of using compact flash cards.

My reasoning:
    3) could just leave the converter in there - avoids worry of bending pins in the card bay

One drawback would be that the data rate is only as fast as the converter can manage.

I'd be interested on what people thought on this (or if it has been asked before - I did a quick search already).

Anyone really clued up on card prices? In general how much cheaper are sd cards vs. cf cards for the same capacity and speed?

All input welcome.
    Cheers

Did some research on the same thing myself last week :) I have 3 x SDHC 16GIG going to waste myself. Came across that very site. Think I'll just get one and see how it goes. The usual suppliers memorc.com etc don't do them.

One thing though, I got the impression from reading the site that the speed was dictated by the SDHC card and not the reader? Or did I read that wrong?

Either way it would be handy for general use.

I'll let you know how I got on :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Mymemory.co.uk have them here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Buzz Killington

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Mymemory.co.uk have them here

Came across a few SD ones but personally I need the SDHC one. Cheers anyways!

Came across a few SD ones but personally I need the SDHC one. Cheers anyways!

I was talking to theo OP :pac:

He can also check SD and CF card prices on there too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Howitzer wrote: »

My reasoning:
    There's 3 quid in the difference on memoryc between 2gb CF / SD. If you were buying like, 200 of them, It makes sense. Why you'd need 400gb of memory cards in the first place though... at most you're making a saving of like, 20 quid. Adapter costs 30 quid...
    Is it? Maybe in a normal SD card holder, but if you actually look at that adapter, it goes into the side of it. So you've to take it out, take out the SD card in there, put that away, put the new in there, and then push the adapter back in. Sounds like a giant PITA to do everytime you need to change cards.

CF card - Remove one, put the other in...bam, its done.
    See above. Also, worry of bending pins? What? Its never even crossed my mind. I think the mechanism built in to the camera makes it fairly hard if not impossible to do unless you're really doing something wrong...
    Valid enough point, but why not put the 30 quid towards a good card reader? They're not even that expensive, so you've money for a bit of velcro too and stick it to the back of your laptop.
    What? o.O
    Well you hilighted that drawback yourself.

Honestly, I'd suggest you do a search around some quality online stores for CF card prices, size them up against it. If you can really see yourself making a saving... fire ahead. To me, it seems more hassle than its worth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

Cheers all - good feedback.
    I think if it had that push-click add/removal that most SD card slots have I'd be more interested.

But I look forward to seeing how Buzz Killington gets on with his one. Having to 16gb cards already would make good sense to try it.

CF card - Remove one, put the other in...bam, its done.
    See above. Also, worry of bending pins? What? Its never even crossed my mind. I think the mechanism built in to the camera makes it fairly hard if not impossible to do unless you're really doing something wrong...

Have read about this issue quite abit with the 400D

He has a point

Backup of point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Have read about this issue quite abit with the 400D

He has a point

Backup of point

Well I never thought about it happening with mine.. and the fact he has to remove the adapter each time kinda gets rid of his 'keep it in there' point.

Advertisement