Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vertical Gardens

Options
  • 21-03-2009 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭

Gardeners World Special on Beeb2 last night was all about vertical gardens. It showcased the work of Patrick Blanc, a French architect who has pioneered the development of living walls.

The programme is available for a week on BBCi Player here

A selection of Patrick Blanc's work here

Joe Swift presented the programme and showed how simple projects in urban gardens can be used to great effect particularly where space is at a premium.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

The BBC's "iPlayer" is only available to watch if you live in the UK, unlike Channel 4's "4 on demand".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

I would like to try making a living wall - a timber frame 6' x 5' arranged in 1' squares. The 30 squares will be filled with topsoil and planted with alpines. When established, I will lift the frame into position to hide the back of a shed. The back of the frame will be marine ply.

What can I put across the top to stop the soil washing or falling out but still allow the roots to penetrate as the alpines spread. At the moment I have a geotextile weed barrier that I hope will be suitable - it's a fabric material that should let water through.

Will the fine roots be able to get through this?

Advertisement