Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Illegal Dumping

• 21-03-2009 10:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭

We have all come accross it from time to time. My forest is right along side a road in the west of Ireland. Every time i go down there is more and more rubbish dumped there.
    The rubbish ranges from houshold domestic waste, empty beer bottles, garden waste (branches and grass cuttings. There is even old machinery being dumped in.
    I have gone through the household waste but i couldnt find anything with a name or address on it so no clue there.
    I have spoken to the council litter warden and he has done a bit of work on it, lifting new rubbish if i report it.
    I have hung up no dumping signs etc.

Now what i really want to know is, has this happened to you and how did you get the waste removed, is it my problem or is it the councils problem? It is going to be quite expensive to clear the lot up.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭fastrac

Is it possible to fence it to make it more difficult for the dumpers as This will probably get worse as time goes on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭sickpuppy32

camp out near an illegal dump site photograph the dumper scumbag when he comes along and the reg plate of his car. I've done it a few times with some mates. easier in the summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

Caves are constantly getting waste dumped into them. The caving group in Ireland (here) runs clean ups. Not that that is much help to 99% of landowners.

The whole thing is very frustrating. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

camp out near an illegal dump site photograph the dumper scumbag when he comes along and the reg plate of his car. I've done it a few times with some mates. easier in the summer

I was kinda thinking of that one myself, only it wouldnt be a camera i'd be shooting at them.

fastrac wrote: »
    Is it possible to fence it to make it more difficult for the dumpers as This will probably get worse as time goes on

It s fenced, about 1.2m high sheep fencing so unless i pt up a very expensive taller fence its no deterrent.
    The problem is that it is off the main road and it is not in view of any house. Funny enough, most of the bags of rubbish consist of empty cans and bottles of beer. I think maybe its people who have holiday homes in the area and wont pay for a full year wheelie bin hire.

And i wouldn't mind but there is a recycling centre another 4 miles up the road.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Nah you need to be creative and to the point without being illegal yerself.

Catch the gits in the act from a discrete distance then follow them home.

Now load the rubbish yerself and dump it all over their porch with a BIG sign stating what has occured just so everyone is aware, maybe involve local journalists, would be a good story!

These people are lowlifes with no respect for anyone or thing so lets get their names out there!!

joeclif wrote: »
    These people are lowlifes with no respect for anyone or thing so lets get their names out there!!

Its so true that they are lowlifes, as are the people who pay someone to "takeaway" their rubbish.
    There is nothing that angers me more, also, i see little kids dropping empty cans, sweet wrappers etc so it is bring passed on from generation to generation. No wonder we are known as the "dirty Irish" all over Europe.

As it stands, i think the maximum fine is €3000, which is a joke. Fly tipping of domestic waste and/or old electrical goods should carry a mandatory fine of €10,000 and/or 1 year in prison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71 ✭✭lancerwall

i think that the whole illegal dumping is getting seriously out of hand espically because of the recession. i live just off a main road in the country there was alway people littering but never really got out of hand. since christmas people are continually dumping throwing there rubbish into drains and fields, now the whole road looks like a dumping site. even the other day i was driving down the road and someone had dumped broken plates and cups as well as some pots and pan all over the road these people have no common since what so ever, and thinks are going to get worse until these people are caught and prosecuted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭colrow

What about concealing a wireless CCTV camera ? Only trouble with that is having to be in line of sight of a reciever, and the power supply would have to be batteries, which need changing. Maybe park an old van there and have the camera hidden inside ? Like the calving camera idea.

colrow wrote: »
    What about concealing a wireless CCTV camera ? Only trouble with that is having to be in line of sight of a reciever, and the power supply would have to be batteries, which need changing. Maybe park an old van there and have the camera hidden inside ? Like the calving camera idea.

Thanks for the suggestion, indeed i have thought about putting up the false CCTV cameras just to act as a deterrent.
    It would be impractical to set the real ones up and power them to record 24hrs a day,7 days a week.

To be honest, i could have a little ask around and find out who is doing it. Then they may get a scary visit in he middle of the night...:cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement