Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aldi - Digital Film Scanner e59.99

• 21-03-2009 12:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/58_8601.htm

Was wondering would this be any good? Have taken up film photography recently after finding grandfathers old Canon AE-1 so using it for Ilford B&W film. Would this be worth having to scan photos onto PC for editing?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

For 60 quid, you could do a hell of a lot worse. I mean, don't expect wonders, but by all means, give it a shot :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Fajitas! wrote: »
    For 60 quid, you could do a hell of a lot worse. I mean, don't expect wonders, but by all means, give it a shot :)

Yah, seems a good price. For 60 euro its hard to go wrong, but if you're buying cheap when it comes to technology, dont have too high of expectations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Worth noting there's also a 1TB external hdd there for 99 quid.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

This Film scanner thingy-me-bobs...eh. So does that mean that all you have to do is get the roll developed and then slide them into that yoke, plug it into a computer and hey presto you can view the image?

This may seam a very basic question but I really don't know much about the technology available for film. I've only recently started cding my neg instead of getting prints and thought that was brilliant idea. But if this gizmo does that work then I could do with one of these.

Out of a 36exp I may average 40% keepers so what I'm doing at present cuts down a lot on needless expense (and after 25years snapping space is tight too). I cd them, go through what I want, return the neg of decent photos in a batch and have only those printed to a high quality. I like this technology (just not gone on Digital cameras and their pictures).
    So is that what this Film Scanner does? This has woken me from my cave.

By the way OP...that's one of the best cameras you could possibly get your hands on. It's worth going through the manual (which is available on-line).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

humberklog wrote: »

By the way OP...that's one of the best cameras you could possibly get your hands on. It's worth going through the manual (which is available on-line).

Believe it or not I have the manual intact for it too, along with warranty card for it and a Vivtar 75-200mm lens alongside the standard 50mm Canon f/1.8 thats on it. Also there is a catalogue for Canons FE mount (i think) lenses available at the time, was a nice find I must say, all in good working order too!
    I must see about trying to develop film myself, e7.50 a roll for colour in boots and the B&W rolls take 1 week so must be better off trying myself at some stage.

• Advertisement

majiktripp wrote: »
    Believe it or not I have the manual intact for it too, along with warranty card for it and a Vivtar 75-200mm lens alongside the standard 50mm Canon f/1.8 thats on it. Also there is a catalogue for Canons FE mount (i think) lenses available at the time, was a nice find I must say, all in good working order too!
    I must see about trying to develop film myself, e7.50 a roll for colour in boots and the B&W rolls take 1 week so must be better off trying myself at some stage.
    Find a Unicare Pharmacy (they're nationwide)for 5 rolls of fuji is200 for a fiver. A euro a pop...it's ok too. Well most of the stuff I put up here is taken on it so make your on mind up on that!! If your paying more than 4.50 for standard stuff then shop around...it's too much. Haggle too in the smaller shops...but 7.50 is way too high. Unicare...bang on.

That Vivitar needs big balls of light by the way. Might wanna be shooting with is400 in the barrel if doing 75-200 work with that.

Again I've said it on another thread recently...if you're doing nude/adult shoots then know/thrust the people your giving the roll to. I'm in the throws of a cows-udder-disaster at present for such oversight and happy go lucky attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Sorry I should have said e7.50 to develop a roll of film! I buy all film I use from 7dayshop mostly as it has a good selection. Cheers for the advice, hard to get used to not looking at the back of the camera for a preview of the shot you just took, we're spoilt with digital.

This Film scanner thingy-me-bobs...eh. So does that mean that all you have to do is get the roll developed and then slide them into that yoke, plug it into a computer and hey presto you can view the image?

Pretty much. I don't have a clue what the quality is like, and it'll only do your 35mm negs, but hey, it's a money saver. I just develop and scan my own now (B&W).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

Anyone know what type of drivers come with this? Would it be windows only? The only software it mentions is ARCSoft photo impressions 6.0, which sounds like a windows app, but I would like to use it on a Mac.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

Mizu_Ger wrote: »
    Anyone know what type of drivers come with this? Would it be windows only? The only software it mentions is ARCSoft photo impressions 6.0, which sounds like a windows app, but I would like to use it on a Mac.

That ARCSoft software is one of the generic freebie type software packages that tends to get bundled free with cameras and so on. It's a general image processing program.

I assume that the scanner just sends jpeg files to the computer so you can use any image processing software to play with them. I'm not sure if there are specific mac compatibility issues though (with the scanner itself, I mean)

• Advertisement

Besides, you'll be much better off trying to find a compatible TWAIN to use it in Photoshop :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 manderson1701

what looks like the same unit is available on pixmania.ie for €145

follow this link

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/1773804/art/ion/slides-2-pc-scanner.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭andy1249

This thing is in maplins as well , it can do slides too if you buy the adaptor , though maplins have none of those ,

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=224226&C=Newsletter&U=09P04-2&T=12995355

The Dpi is 1800 or so , the 3600 is only the " enhanced" or the interpolated dpi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,507 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Worth noting there's also a 1TB external hdd there for 99 quid.

Spotted that but a friend of mine has pointed out that the interface is eSATA and not USB so tread carefully. dabs.ie are selling a Maxtor USB 1TB for under 90 so should be possible to get it shipped for under 100.

http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?QuickLinx=5FBD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,338 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I wonder what are the chances that this could handle 120mm film? I use my holga a lot and would love to save on the cost of getting the pictures put onto a cd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I would like one of those too...I feel like having some fun and 60E is not a lot of money to spend on having fun. I mean, instead of bringing knitting to gallery duty, I could bring a laptop and a scanner and a pile of negatives.

I know it's only 5MB scanner but that's still not bad all the same.

for the drive, was tempted but yeah, okay if it's not USB that's a problem. I thought it was plug and play though. Must read again later when I have time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

i would freaking love to get it! Even if it's not great, it would be a bit of fun for the time being. Never bought any techy stuff from there before, but I know my uncle got a microscope from there and was happy out with it. Does it scan the negs at a fixed size or can you scan the sprocket holes too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,507 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

More on that 1TB hard drive, it uses the eSATA interface which is described here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA#External_SATA

Looks like you need a device that already has an eSATA interface, or if you have a desktop you'd need to buy an eSATA adapter and for a laptop you can forget it.

fixxxer wrote: »
    I wonder what are the chances that this could handle 120mm film? I use my holga a lot and would love to save on the cost of getting the pictures put onto a cd.

0% chance, I'm afraid, unless you started cutting your 120 negs down to fit the 35mm scanner.

It wouldn't even scan a full image if you put 35mm through your Holga.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Doctor Tunes

Do you use a film scanner fajitas? I've been using a canoscan 4400F to scan 35mm but not very happy with the results so looking for something a bit better, and that would possibly scan 120 too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

drum scan for the gold :D

nikon coolscans are pretty good... dunno if it was here i had the debate but i like ice off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

it comes with a 120 slide holder

http://www.find-me-a-gift.co.uk/digital-film-scanner.html?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=free&utm_term=Camera+Film+Scanner+-+Digital+Photo+Converter

ima get one, not to worries about res as i only upload on flickr etc,...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Do you use a film scanner fajitas? I've been using a canoscan 4400F to scan 35mm but not very happy with the results so looking for something a bit better, and that would possibly scan 120 too.

I'd say the quality on this thing is pretty sub-par. There have been a rake of these going around for a while (IIRC the irish times was offering something similar a while back). I've never looked at one, but I'd say its some crummy 5mp sensor from some P&S stuck inside. Someone posted examples the last time we were talking about this and they were pretty woeful. Completely blocked out shadows and the scan looked blurry and indistinct, and that was comparing it with some flatbed.
    Placebo wrote: »
    it comes with a 120 slide holder

http://www.find-me-a-gift.co.uk/digital-film-scanner.html?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=free&utm_term=Camera+Film+Scanner+-+Digital+Photo+Converter

ima get one, not to worries about res as i only upload on flickr etc,...

That doesn't seem to be the case. There's a 35mm strip holder and a 35mm slide holder there, nothing that looks like it could hold 120.

drum scan for the gold :D

nikon coolscans are pretty good... dunno if it was here i had the debate but i like ice off

Life is just too short :rolleyes:

Annnd, completely didn't answer the actual question here. Unless you want to start talking serious cash your best bet for scanning 35mm and 120 at the moment is apparently the Epson 750. I've never used it but examples I've seen look quite good. It'll do 120 and (iirc ) 4x5 aswell if you're so inclined :-)

Myself, I use a Canonscan 8600 to do 120 and a Coolscan V to do 35mm. The coolscan is probably the best quality 35mm scanner you can get for under €1000 nowadays. They're hard to come by though.

You could also shell out for a Coolscan 9000 which will cost you about 2000 and will do 120 and 35mm to the same levels of quality as the Coolscan V does 35mm. From there on in you can start spending crazy money ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Placebo wrote: »

I'd say the one on the left is the 35mm slide holder. The one in the foreground is the 35mm strip holder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Doctor Tunes

Annnd, completely didn't answer the actual question here. Unless you want to start talking serious cash your best bet for scanning 35mm and 120 at the moment is apparently the Epson 750. I've never used it but examples I've seen look quite good. It'll do 120 and (iirc ) 4x5 aswell if you're so inclined :-)

Myself, I use a Canonscan 8600 to do 120 and a Coolscan V to do 35mm. The coolscan is probably the best quality 35mm scanner you can get for under €1000 nowadays. They're hard to come by though.

You could also shell out for a Coolscan 9000 which will cost you about 2000 and will do 120 and 35mm to the same levels of quality as the Coolscan V does 35mm. From there on in you can start spending crazy money ...
    Might see what the Epson 750 is like. Just not happy with the Canon at all. Last roll I dropped into Gunnes I asked to have it scanned just so I can compare their job to my own scanner's. I guess if I fork out a good bit for a scanner now it means I'll save in the (very) long run. Using mainly 35mm at the momeny but want to get into using 120 more in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

coylemj wrote: »
    More on that 1TB hard drive, it uses the eSATA interface which is described here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA#External_SATA

Looks like you need a device that already has an eSATA interface, or if you have a desktop you'd need to buy an eSATA adapter and for a laptop you can forget it.

Ypu don;t need an eSata device to use the HDD.

It's comes with a usb port and cable along with an external transformer.

The eSata port is for use on Aldi's Medion desktops

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Sorry to bump this again, but can I ask how big one might print a 5MP scan from this thing? And also, for someone who's never worked in a darkroom, how difficult is it to remove negativces from a spool of film once it rewinds in camera?

Easy to remove, just bring anything from a butter knife to a bottle opener with you to pop the cannister open.

5Mp... Probably A3. Ish. Don't know what the quality would be like at that even.

TelePaul wrote: »
    Sorry to bump this again, but can I ask how big one might print a 5MP scan from this thing? And also, for someone who's never worked in a darkroom, how difficult is it to remove negativces from a spool of film once it rewinds in camera?

well it depends, given the commonly held figure of 300dpi for a quality print and given this scans at 2592 x 1680 then you could print up to 9x6 inches or so (roughly). I wouldn't say its the best scanner so that would probably be pushing it a bit.

Getting the negatives out of the spool ? Typically you'd hand the roll of film in to get developed and get them back neatly cut into strips of 4 and sleeved, or mounted if you're doing slide and you want them mounted. If you're developing your own then you can buy a little gizmo to get the leader back out and then pull the rest of the film out from there (in complete darkness of course :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭corkdave

Tried three different Aldi stores yesterday morning, all before 9.40am. Nothing doing . . . all sold out in minutes. Annoyed but pleasantly surprised there seems to be so much interest in film roll still.
    Well, did anybody on here buy the Aldi scanner? If so, what are the results like?

tbh I think it was all a hoax... it's not that possible that every store in the country sold out in minutes....Especially considering it's the last place you'd look for a film scanner!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

i was in there yesterday and heard a manager saying
    to a few disgruntled customers that only 20
    were delivered to the headford road branch here.
    and they were gone by 10 yesterday morning....
    would staff have first pick maybe???? :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

minxie wrote: »
    i was in there yesterday and heard a manager saying
    to a few disgruntled customers that only 20
    were delivered to the headford road branch here.
    and they were gone by 10 yesterday morning....
    would staff have first pick maybe???? :(

Very weird! Guess it's not meant to be, but if it's this popular, it may get a re-run?

AAhhh I got my Lidl and Aldi mixed up. Had a noisy debate with a Latvian manager. Still left with a lovely bar of whole nut chocolate though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 corkonian1

AAhhh I got my Lidl and Aldi mixed up. Had a noisy debate with a Latvian manager. Still left with a lovely bar of whole nut chocolate though.
    :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

I got one yesterday in Athlone. I was one of the first people in the store after they opened at 9am and everyone at the tills seemed to be picking up a scanner!
    I haven't had a chance to try it out yet.....i'll dig up some negatives over the weekend and give it a whirl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

There deals sell out very quick,Had 4gb memory sticks for €11 and they were sold out in ten minutes.People just go for the deals and will happily que for a while to ensure they get one(or alot more in most cases)

• Advertisement

Nforce wrote: »
    I got one yesterday in Athlone. I was one of the first people in the store after they opened at 9am and everyone at the tills seemed to be picking up a scanner!
    I haven't had a chance to try it out yet.....i'll dig up some negatives over the weekend and give it a whirl.

Ooh...a localish boardsie... Hai there! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Ooh...a localish boardsie... Hai there! :D

Howrya,bud!

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭WaterWolf

I would not recommend any of those side loading film and slide scanners. My Dad bought one in one of those 'Irish Times Reader Promotions' that they have in the newspaper and it was useless. Poor quality, inconsistent results. We sent it back in the end because it kept crashing computers (we tried it on a few!). All it has inside is a 5mp ccd which it uses to take a photo of the film. There's lots of different versions of them, I think my Dad's was a Xenox, but I suspect they are all the same thing just rebranded.

You're much better off getting a flat bed scanner that handles slides and film. My Dad got a Canon (I can't remember the model) for about €120 from Peats in Dublin and it was was way better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Tedious Bore

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/2827_10899.htm

anyone who got one last time find them any use?

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/2827_10899.htm

anyone who got one last time find them any use?

read the post directly above :D Thats the general consensus, that they're a pile of crap.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

3600dpi and puts out 5MP files?
    my old nikon is 2700dpi and puts out 8MP files.
    someone hasn't been doing their maths.

Advertisement