Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

controlling classes, any tips????

Options
  • 21-03-2009 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

A friend of mine is doing her teaching practice in a national school and is finding it very hard to control the class.

Does any one have any usefull tips for her?

She is very new to the teaching scene. She has always wanted to teach.

And i think she just needs some helpfull pointers in the right direction.

I have every confidence in her ability once she gets into the swing of it and gets some confidence in herself.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Be consistent.
    Keep the class busy with appropriately targetted work.
    Do not make threats that they know you cannot follow through on.

Depending on their age, an agreed set of 'rules' for the class might work. The shorter the list the better. Any breaches of the rules should have a clear agreed consequence and that consequence must be consistently applied.

Go easy on the shouting - it's the number one thing all kids at all levels dislike. The 'bold' kids ignore it and the 'good' kids are upset by it. It also tends to raise the volume as they all just shout to be heard over it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Banrion

Nothing beats experience. But thats not what your friend wants to hear so Ill throw out a few strategies that work for short term teaching (being thats what your friend is doing)
    • Rules. Ask the kids to suggest and all sign. If the rules are kept, they get a treat. ( she'll have to talk to teacher about what treat this can be)
    • Marbles in a jar (everytime they behave, either as a group or individually and once the jar is full of marbles they get a treat) They lurve the sound of the marbles going in. Really are mesmorised by it, specially the smallies.
    • 5 stars on bboard ( I would use this for day to day subbing)."heres your five stars. These 5 stars represent no homework of 'another treat'. When they misbehave they lose a star but stars can be won back at any stage during the day) This works best for the older.
    • Tickets with numbers (I use this for long term teaching...ie my own class) Each time a child behaves she gets a ticket handed to her/him. All tickets are used for 'lottery' for prizes at the end of the week.
    Nothing beats consistency, however. Start as you mean to go on. Start on day 1 telling class what you expect. Follow up on everything and remind them of your rules and consequences. Always follow up what you say. Dont talk talk yabber yabber. Give consequences for behaviours.
    Next time she'll be better and the time after that and the time after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭wondering

Thanks Banrion and Spurious,

I will pass on the tips. I agree consistancy is the key.

I think she should probably talk to the teacher and see what way he/she handles the class, punishments, treats etc.

I honestly think that she has never seen bold children before. I remember getting a subsitute teacher in primary school, we used to love it, something new, and the chance to be as bold as we liked with no consequences because the sub teacher would never tell our normal teacher what went on in the class.

She also looks very young, which she thinks isnt helping.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

She probably gives off huge lack of confidence.
    If she goes in and gives clear unambiguous instructions, sounding as if she means business (even if inside she's rattling) it might surprise her what the results are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Banrion

Poor thing. Sure we were all there, its no reflection on her because it happened to us all and I for one am a better teacher as a result of classes like those.

• Advertisement
Advertisement