Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Assignement 6: Text

• 21-03-2009 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Assignement 6: Text
    The photograph must feature a prominent piece of text

41_05_70---Slow-Down_web.jpg?&k=Slow+Down

The Rules

* Photo's are to be related to the given task.
    * Photo's must be taken within the week given.
    * Multiple posts/photo's allowed for the assignment.
    * Next task/subject to be choosen by person who has the most thanks after their post (must include a picture in the post ).
    * No negative feedback allowed! Constructive comments are allowed.
    * Choosen subject/task has to have relevance towards the learning process
    * And the most important one: Enjoy yourself whilst you're at it, don't be afraid of showing your photos and hopefully get some wonderful results!!!

The Theme: TEXT

Closing date: Thursday 26th March

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Hmm. Kind of ironic having a watermark called "FreeFoto" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 mccarre4

First time poster..
    Hope the file size is ok.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mccarre4/Text#5316302366758787490

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Here's one. Came across this happy camper last Saturday in the Bogside, Derry.

DogParking-1.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Came across this happy camper last Saturday in the Bogside, Derry.
    Silly mutts mixing up their "P"s and "B"s again...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Here's one I took in Scotland last week -- had to drive around a roundabout twice to catch it.

In case anybody thinks it's photoshopped, no, it's not :) The BBC's link to the events is here and the Dick Institute lives here.

creative-burns-at-the-dick.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

3383824974_7e31a9a289.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭kgiller

An oldy, but a goody.

2939074048_0d92b68c4f.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

kgiller wrote: »
    An oldy, but a goody.

2939074048_0d92b68c4f.jpg

Lovely pic but
    * Photo's must be taken within the week given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

few from this morning

3384340837_f9642d3911.jpg

3385155790_7bce0912a1.jpg

3384340343_7603fea404.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

The time limit on these challenges is ridiculous!
    5 days isn't enough to think of an idea, take a picture and upload it imo. Especially if you've a lot on your plate. 10 days would be better - it's not like we're in a rush!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

mehfesto2 wrote: »
    The time limit on these challenges is ridiculous!
    5 days isn't enough to think of an idea, take a picture and upload it imo. Especially if you've a lot on your plate. 10 days would be better - it's not like we're in a rush!

I agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭RoryW

Valentia wrote: »
    I agree.

I agree as well

Why not have two challenges on the go at the same time, so one of them finishes every week but you have two weeks for each challenge ?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭salamanca

I agree more time would be good.

Seeing as I suggested the Text theme, here are my comments (bear in mind that I am a complete beginner!):-
    mccarre4: nice pic but a bit bland. Maybe closer to the text hedge would be more interesting?
    pullandbang: would have won the humour comp
    robindch: might be better with a lot cropped from the top, bottom and right, leaving just the signpost in the right half of the pic
    humberklog: I liked this because it features text but the pic is not about what the text says (if that makes sense)
    kgiller: nice but seems to be a slight protruding shadow at the bottom
    cambo_gueno: nice crisp pics. Middle one a a bit dark

I like Roryw's idea. It gives two weeks and another option if one doesn't float your boat.
    The original time was very prohibitive. I love it as an idea for lots of good reasons but as said by all: one week's not near enough. I only posted this week as I happened to have a digital jobby in the hand (and a radiogramme beside me...clever stuff eh?)

I don't like the idea of breaking down each photo for critical analysis as Salamanca has done though. Thanks votes will do it. But my 2cents would be that it could be good if discussion on technique or whether one likes one pic (or indeed not like) was encourage and allowed to flourish. This thread could lend itself to good discussion on photography moreso than any other as people have already taken the step towards their work being critically juxtaposed (if even in a very passive fashion).

Would a poll be a good idea on length options?

I'm a new(ish) poster on this forum too so don't wanna go threding on toes. But I would have posted sooner/more often here if the time thingymejig wasn't an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭salamanca

humberklog wrote: »
    I only posted this week as I happened to have a digital jobby in the hand (and a radiogramme beside me...clever stuff eh?)
    I though it was some type of airport departure panel!!

salamanca wrote: »
    I though it was some type of airport departure panel!!
    I was trying hard to get Helvetia in the shot but I'm not used to the camera. It's a big ol' vacuum gramme.3 foot tall and takes a half hour to heat up. Beautiful sound and fab mw/lw range and reception. Used daily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

So is this challenge still open?

I got a couple of 'text' photos at the weekend as this was in my head after seeing the challenge, was just doing it for myself though as I assumed it would be closed by now? If it's still open I'll post one or two tonight, seeing as how I have them now anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭alexandros

I think this thread may have died due to lack of communication.

RoryW wrote: »
    Why not have two challenges on the go at the same time, so one of them finishes every week but you have two weeks for each challenge ?

Now there's a good idea!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

^I actually second that idea!!

I haven't taken any decent pictures in a while now and i need something like these challenges to get me back out there taking pics!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

For the first assignment on long exposure, I was going to do a pinhole shot, by the time I got the brass to make the pinhole, made a clean pinhole and figured out the exposures etc The week went by. But I did come up with a cracker of an idea for a shot and hope to take it soon once I pluck up the courage.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dmohalloran

3407084750_307ef95a8f.jpg

This is taken in Bray Harbor. I know the deadline is passed. Sorry
    I liked the image because of the Samaritans sticker. They were on all the life rings in Bray. Very nice and thought provoking.

Dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Allrightie,

So let's say:

Assigment 6 ends next friday, whomever has the most thanks gets to pick the next subject?

Next assignment will run for 2 weeks.

I do like the idea of the 2 assignments combined, one ending week 1 and the other week 2, but both running for 2 weeks.

So, anyone wants to get a wild card for assignment 7, starting it now and ending in 2 weeks? This means it should be up today :-) Anyone?

Good stuff Snarah for grabbing it by the 'nads!!

I could put one up this evening. I've a good idea for a challenge that is a little challenging. Nothing daunting. I'll leave it for now as someone else might want to first.

I'll be good to put it up later this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Here's my entry for 'text'

0247371484854731B1E3054792617E1D-500.jpg

And Humberklog: go ahead man!

BF00C68EB1E44396A17FDD9ED86FC26A.jpg

Film neopan400

F*ck Society

B7DA3EA660314937A7CA1AC5FFB5FDC8-500.jpg

Another one taken on my trip to Derry - just across the road from where the dog was sleeping!

FreeDerryCorner.jpg

Another take on the same wall.

DerryCorner-1.jpg

• Advertisement

Another take on the same wall.

love the recursion!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

3410318456_a2db5c86f7.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

Finally I found a text I liked.

3415268856_89d30fbe55.jpg

Kinda a last minute job but did take a good few attempts to get it quite right (though i still don't feel i got it quite right!).
    A little extract from a graphic novel like thing i'm working on.

3416797796_9bbe7e9501.jpg

Oh and loving my Nifty Fifty!! :p

a bigger version here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/afthefragile/3416797796/sizes/o/in/photostream/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

C2430A68679145ACBE76936F4C65198B.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Sorry for jumping in here, just found this "challenge" thread, and I think it's a great idea!
    I'd like to suggest three categories for further consideration: A). Shadows, B). Reflections, C). Wilderness (even in urban surroundings!).

Not saying these should be next, just think these might be a "challenge"?

Now, gotta look for text???

• Advertisement

This is a cheat, buy hey, it's the best I could come up with during my break!

3417167387_da5b49b9c5.jpg

3417653549_decbe3daca.jpg

"I am utterly unresponsive to Irish modern art."

Taken in-situ in IMMA on a Canon A-1 with ISO400 Film.

Kinda a last minute job but did take a good few attempts to get it quite right (though i still don't feel i got it quite right!

What's the book Af? It looks very good but I'd love to see the camera about 60mm higher and a wider clear window just to get a feel for what the text is saying and to show off that gorgeous writing. The style of writing works as the central stimulant for me and I'd take more advantage of it. Let the subject matter do some work.

humberklog wrote: »
    What's the book Af? It looks very good but I'd love to see the camera about 60mm higher and a wider clear window just to get a feel for what the text is saying and to show off that gorgeous writing. The style of writing works as the central stimulant for me and I'd take more advantage of it. Let the subject matter do some work.

Well, thats is my writing... :)
    Its my kinda scrap book on which I'm writing and developing this plot for a graphic novel I'm working on. Kinda like a new age super hero novel set in the not too distant future. I don't like typing and writing down on paper helps me with my creativity so i always write down my songs, poems and these novel like stuff in my song book and scrap book.

The page is white written on with a black pen but as i shot it under tungsten light without fixing the white balance, it came out yellow which i further enhanced a little through post processing. The pp also enhanced the handwriting...

And then as for the subject matter, firstly its just a very rough draft (1st draft) so the matter is very loose and vague. And secondly, i didn't wanna give too much away in the pic!! :p
    Sometimes little is more! ;)

Here's another one i posted in the random pics thread if you wanna check out:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/afthefragile/3416198647/in/photostream/
    you can have a look at the original unprocessed pics too over there...

• Advertisement

bellamariee - love you shots! Unfortunitly, only pics taken during the duration of the challenge can be submitted for consideration - can be difficult to do in time!

BTW - welcome to boards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 bellamariee

hey MrMac thanks for the welcome - thanks - lol i had read the rules after i entered - eager beaver i am lol :o
    mrmac wrote: »
    bellamariee - love you shots! Unfortunitly, only pics taken during the duration of the challenge can be submitted for consideration - can be difficult to do in time!

BTW - welcome to boards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 bellamariee

is the second one available for submitting as it was Saturday 04th !! or am i a few days out - i love this picture as u can see the reflection of Thomand Park in the Sun Glasses
    hey MrMac thanks for the welcome - thanks - lol i had read the rules after i entered - eager beaver i am lol :o

Looks like the parking mutt got it :D

I'll have to come up with one now.....

Advertisement