Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland absolutely disgraced...

Options
  • 21-03-2009 2:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Was listening to Joe Duffy yesterday and the discussion was about a gang in Tipperary Town that are terrorising the town. On St. Patricks Day, this gang jumped on an American visitor to this country and gave him such a beating, he had to be hospitalised. People who saw this attack, said the mans face was in absolute bits afterwards, his eye was apparently hanging out of his head and his nose was in bits after being broken with a kick to the head. The victim and his girlfriend just wanted to get the f*ck out this country after this happened, as soon as they could get out of the hospital, they got a taxi to Dublin airport and got the first flight back to the US.... It turned out that the gang that had assaulted this man, had been illegally drinking on the streets with their tops off and making an annoyance of themselves, the Gardai had walked past them earlier on in the day and done absolutely nothing.

Then today, we get a guilty verdict from a jury after some lump of absolute scum down in Galway is found guilty of murdering a young tourist here last October 2007.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0321/breaking14.htm

This girl came here to learn some English and ended up dead on wasteground after being savegly attacked and murdered by this scumbag. I felt so sorry for this girls poor father who RTE filmed walking up to the Four Courts at the start of the trial. The poor man looked like he had lost his own life, he looked stunned and bewildered, walking up to a courthouse in a foreign country that he probably thought was safe, and this was before he had to listen to a scumbag arguing by way of defence, that he had consensual sex with this victim, and in an Ian Huntey style manner, proceeded to make up some absolute work of fiction regarding how the girl died, with a "well she kind of slipped and banged her head", story.

I'm starting to wonder what type of country we are living in, when people come here thinking they are coming to a law abiding country and they end up going home with their faces smashed in, or else end up going home in a coffin, and the same message seems to be emerging, that you are not safe if you come to this country and the Gardai have no handle on the problem.

What the f*ck are the gardai in Tipperary at??? The whole town was ringing Joe Duffy yesterday saying that the same gang/family are responsible for assault after assault after assault and nothing gets done about it. They had the neck to issue a press statement yesterday saying that the problem is not as bad as people are making out!!!

Sometimes I sit back and wonder what in all seriousness is going on in this country.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I don't agree with this at all. Assaults happen everywhere and its unfortunate that sometimes visitors to this country are the victims, but it happens everywhere in all fairness. Look at that Hanlon guy who got shot dead in the US? What about the Irish guy stabbed to death in NY last year? I don't see people refusing to go to the US because of that.

The gardai should pull their finger out when it comes to this gang. If they are so well known as troublemakers, why not come down on them like a ton of bricks? Or even better, gather a few guys with baseball bats and treat these scummers to some of their own medicine.

Also, you may want to contemplate why nobody jumped in to help this tourist? Have Irish men become so pussyfied that they're scared of some little shirtless scummer ****heads? For **** sake, if you see someone getting beaten like that, at least grab an iron bar or some sort of makeshift weapon and make some attempt to lay the ****ers out instead of standing there watching it.

If it was a student taking a piss down some lane they'd probably have ended up with at least a summons.

It really is a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

DarkJager wrote: »
    I don't agree with this at all. Assaults happen everywhere and its unfortunate that sometimes visitors to this country are the victims, but it happens everywhere in all fairness. Look at that Hanlon guy who got shot dead in the US? What about the Irish guy stabbed to death in NY last year? I don't see people refusing to go to the US because of that.

The gardai should pull their finger out when it comes to this gang. If they are so well known as troublemakers, why not come down on them like a ton of bricks? Or even better, gather a few guys with baseball bats and treat these scummers to some of their own medicine.

Also, you may want to contemplate why nobody jumped in to help this tourist? Have Irish men become so pussyfied that they're scared of some little shirtless scummer ****heads? For **** sake, if you see someone getting beaten like that, at least grab an iron bar or something and make some attempt to lay the ****ers out.

I take your point on the young girls murder, murders happen in every country and it is unfortunate that this poor girls visit to this country caused her to cross paths with a murderous scumbag who put an end to her life.

Down in Tipperary, the whole town seem to be terrified of this gang, and the same seems to be going on in other towns around the country, I know there are very similar problems in Mullingar, Edenderry, Ennis, and other towns around the country. What the f*ck is going on here??? How in the name of Jasus have we ended up in a situation where towns are being terrorised by gangs of scumbags??? Last time I intervened in a situation where a scumbag reached into a taxi and took the carkeys from the ignition, I ended up in hospital for my efforts. I wouldn't intervene again because I was lucky I wasn't kicked to death. We pay the Gardai hansomly for managing the streets, they have the battons, the stab proof vests and the back up to deal with the scum in this country. What are they doing??????????

I think there is a problem with the Gardai in this country, I've always thought they are the laziest bunch of wasters on this island, I've never met one Garda who wanted to better their community, they are a load of wasters who are chicken sh*t or else too bone idle lazy to roll up their sleeves and get to grips with the absolute scum that has now overrun this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

To be fair it feels like they're not afraid of the Garda. (Native or foreign).

My idea (quite controversial I know) would be to actually arm them! Now hear me out. I know the last thing you want is to hear accidental deaths at the hand of some trigger happy uniform.

But if I was drunk and disorderly in public and I saw two of these lads walking around on the beat with a utility belt that would put Batman to shame. I'd sure as hell sober up fast!

There is no fear instilled to the scum in the Emerald Isle and that is why they take the p*ss.

EDIT: Just read the post above.
    Darragh29 wrote: »
    I think there is a problem with the Gardai in this country, I've always thought they are the laziest bunch of wasters on this island, I've never met one Garda who wanted to better their community, they are a load of wasters who are chicken sh*t or else too bone idle lazy to roll up their sleeves and get to grips with the absolute scum that has now overrun this country.

I think it's the few poisoning the many. Heard of a story in Dublin where some "lovely" bring-home-to-your-mother types were dealing and some Garda just cycled right up (at ramming speed) jumped off the bike and knocked him to the ground! Sounds like something John McClane would do!

And don't give me the usual spiel that "well guards have families too". Yeah and they chose their path to protect the downfall of society to gangs/drugs/etc. So putting themselves in the line of danger doesn't a sob story make.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

tougher jail sentences and all you get in jail is a box room with a shower and jacks, one hour lunch, one hour exercise

or else we could just forget about that and worry about where we should put the next ramp

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

The problem isn't with the Gardai, it's with the legal system constantly giving out nothing but slaps on the wrist. The boys in blue can arrest someone for drinking in public on Paddy's day, but it'll amount to nothing. Scumbags know this and that's why they're not afraid of the gardai, because being arrested is at worst a minor inconvenience to them. We've a judicial system that has ingrained it into these people that their actions will be met with indifference.

chin_grin wrote: »
    To be fair it feels like they're not afraid of the Garda. (Native or foreign).

My idea (quite controversial I know) would be to actually arm them! Now hear me out. I know the last thing you want is to hear accidental deaths at the hand of some trigger happy uniform.

But if I was drunk and disorderly in public and I saw two of these lads walking around on the beat with a utility belt that would put Batman to shame. I'd sure as hell sober up fast!

There is no fear instilled to the scum in the Emerald Isle and that is why they take the p*ss.

They are already armed, with batons!!!! When is the last time you heard a Garda taking a batton to a gang of scumbags in this country???

These guys just don't care, they are not in the job to make a difference, they see it as a job for life, happy days lads, turn up and keep the head down, it'll all be grand.

While the gardai have a lot of blame for letting it get this bad, I think the ordinary man on the street has also allowed himself to succumb to fear of these ****in scumbags. I personally wouldn't let myself slip into that state of mind, because its exactly what these ****ers want. I've stepped into many situations involving these scum, and have taken a few knocks and bruises but hey...if it deflates the "i rule this city" mentality from even 1 of them, then its accomplished something.

While the gardai have a lot of blame for letting it get this bad, I think the ordinary man on the street has also allowed himself to succumb to fear of these ****in scumbags. I personally wouldn't let myself slip into that state of mind, because its exactly what these ****ers want. I've stepped into many situations involving these scum, and have taken a few knocks and bruises but hey...if it deflates the "i rule this city" mentality from even 1 of them, then its accomplished something.

Yeah, because the "man on the street" isn't paid to keep himself safe so of course will take the abuse to keep some faux status quo.

What you're implying sounds like vigilantism though......hmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,329 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Problem there is, one fatality caused by the armed Gardai, and you'll be starting threads like "Man shot by bastard Gardai - take their guns away".

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

This is why im completely for a doubling of prison sentences for every crime committed in this country. Rapists getting off after a few years, murderers getting out after less than ten years and people than commit assaults not getting any prison time sometimes??? Capital punishment should be brought back with a vengence. Some people deserve to die. Rapists, pedophiles, murders and traitors! Send them all to the gallows! Lethal injection is too nice for them.

Yeah, because the "man on the street" isn't paid to keep himself safe so of course will take the abuse to keep some faux status quo.

What you're implying sounds like vigilantism though......hmm.

Its not vigilantism, its simply refusing to allow these ****ers to have the run of the place. That mentality of taking the abuse to keep some "status quo" is a cop out IMO - it feeds this idea they have that they somehow have a "fear control" over the public. If more people actually had some balls and took the fight to these scumbags when they act up, they would be a lot less inclined to walk around starting trouble for the sake of it. Unfortunately as you said, most people are happy to accept this behaviour and complain about the gardai not doing anything, when they themselves bury their head in the sand.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Problem there is, one faality caused by the armed Gardai, and you'll be starting threads like "Man shot by bastard Gardai - take their guns away".

I know, that's why I was gearing up for the facts to the contrary! :D

It's just that the Irish populace deem the Gardaí as harmless! I'd like that to change. Also as was mentioned before, they're the front line to a joke of a judicial system too. So suppose they're stuck between a needle and a punch in the face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Relevant

They are already armed, with batons!!!! When is the last time you heard a Garda taking a batton to a gang of scumbags in this country???

These guys just don't care, they are not in the job to make a difference, they see it as a job for life, happy days lads, turn up and keep the head down, it'll all be grand.

If the gardai gave out the beatings that some people deserve you only end up with all the bleeding hearts giving out about it.
    Every time they are in any way heavy handed they end up in front of inquiries and are investigated for mistreatment. The minute they get even remotely physical they have some tosser waving a camera phone in their face screaming about the ombudsman

• Registered Users Posts: 28,920 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I know there are very similar problems in Mullingar, Edenderry, Ennis, and other towns around the country.
    Before we go any further there is no such problem in Edenderry. It has its fair share of scumbags, but they are all individuals, there are no gangs.

I intervened before, and ended up in hospital for it. I was lucky I wasn't killed. I don't want to be the guy behind the next headline where some guy intervenes and ends up being kicked to death.

This isn't a selfish view, it's just that you learn that if you intervene and you are dealing with a buy who has a knife or a gun, you don't know what you are dealing with now, with the scum that is out there. Years ago, if you got into a row, you got into a row and a few digs and that was it. Now it's knives and handguns and the rest of it.

We have a force of Gardai in this country that I think are very well paid, but whether it is down to the selection process or the prevailing attitude that is within the Gardai as an organisation, they are absolutely useless, they are failing the decent people of this country.

It is like as if they have come to this group conclusion that they just couldn't be bothered dealing with scum in this country. Maybe the problem is that they know the judicial system will not give the appropriate message to the offenders, maybe they are demoralised and I'm being hard on them. I dunno, but something has to change here I think or we will end up in a place where we cannot return from and I'm not scaremongering here. While we are cleaning out our closet now on other fronts, such as the economy and the direction of the country on that front, we should go the whole f*cking hog and get this problem sorted out as well. We should introduce a zero tolerance attitude to anti-social behaviour in this country... Whatever has to be done to restore respect for the rule of law in this country amongst a certain minority of the population, should be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Relevant wrote: »
    If the gardai gave out the beatings that some people deserve you only end up with all the bleeding hearts giving out about it.
    Every time they are in any way heavy handed they end up in front of inquiries and are investigated for mistreatment. The minute they get even remotely physical they have some tosser waving a camera phone in their face screaming about the ombudsman

Exactly. If the Gardai get heavy handed with these f*ckers then the exact same bleeding hearts group will be back onto Joe Duffy giving out yards about policing in this country etc and some other muppets in the Dail will no doubt be doing the same. It pi*ses me off no end the double standards some people have. You either want these people dealt with by the Gardai as hard and heavy handed as needs be or else you are happy with gangs going around doing as they like. There is simply no in between.

It's a no win situation for the Gardai who are in the middle of this and getting it from both sides.

Before we go any further there is no such problem in Edenderry. It has its fair share of scumbags, but they are all individuals, there are no gangs.

That's funny, I've a mate who lived down there who is a Prison Officer and he told me that Edenderry is full of absolute scum. I take it that he knows scum when he sees it, by virtue of his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Down in Tipperary, the whole town seem to be terrified of this gang, and the same seems to be going on in other towns around the country, I know there are very similar problems in Mullingar, Edenderry, Ennis,

From my experience with "gangs" terrorising towns (not much mind you), I'd bet with near certainty that this family is a family of travellers.

Darragh29 wrote:
    I intervened before, and ended up in hospital for it. I was lucky I wasn't killed. I don't want to be the guy behind the next headline where some guy intervenes and ends up being kicked to death.

Fair play to you, at least you had the balls to do something. I've intervened myself a number of times, have been in hospital and even garda cells because of it, but I'd still do it without a second thought if neccesary. Knives are the main scourge of these ****ers and you never know who has one and who doesn't, but as long as you're fighting them sober, you stand a lot better chance of making **** of a knife using pussy. Obviously you should also never get involved if you don't feel physically strong enough to do so, that is just asking for trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Years ago, if you got into a row, you got into a row and a few digs and that was it. Now it's knives and handguns and the rest of it.

But really it's not.

I'm not saying just take out a baton and clobber the first guy you see wearing a hoodie. If you are drinking in a public place shouting and roaring at passers by, with your top off, you should be told to go home and get off the streets. If you don't want to cooperate, then you should be dragged off the street, kicking and screaming, clobbered over the head with a baton and f*cked into the back of a van and put in a cell. You should end up in court the next morning and whatever punishment you get, it should make you think twice before doing that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Are you for real? You really expect a gard to wade into a gang of blokes? Does the baton even the numbers up or somehting? The only thing that will happen there is the Gard will end up in hospital.

I'm all for groups of gards knoking lumps out of scumbags, but you seem to expect a Gard thatr sees 10 blokes up to no good to be Bruce lee and have them all hog tied and ready to be lifted into the back of the transit when it arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

That's great, they have extra evidence to justify their course of action when the enquiry happens so. So far I haven't heard of any legislation denying the Gardai use of justified and reasonable force in order to fullfil their duties under the law. On the contrary, the European Convention on Human Rights specifically allows for it on the condition that the force used is justifiable and reasonable and necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

As far as the Gardai go, I don't like how some of them don't take a more hands on approach when it comes to dealing with street gangs. But I fully understand why that is, they are walking into the lions den with no credible form of protection. They are walking into a hostile environment where scumbags have no fear anymore where you have no idea what they will do.

The problem is with parents bringing up scumbag children who have no sense of fear or responsibility. When I was leaving school in 2005 it was a hell hole. 1st years would square up to teachers and some would even assault their teachers. Since the teachers can't fight back your hoping that the parents will step in and exert some responsible authority. That's the only chance you have of tese kids learning that violence is wrong. But what happens? Scumbag parents are coming up to the school acting as if little Jimmy or Macker are angels and that the teachers are victimising their little kids. And it's only getting worse; a friend of mine is a teacher and three 3rd year students wre expelled for sexually harassing her. Their parents actually had the bare faced cheek to act as if some miscarraige of justice had occurred. ****ing shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,920 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

That's funny, I've a mate who lived down there who is a Prison Officer and he told me that Edenderry is full of absolute scum. I take it that he knows scum when he sees it, by virtue of his job.
    I live just beside there, and I wouldn't totally disagree with him. I can't remember a weekend in the last year where there hasn't been fighting on the streets at the end of the night. My point is that its more individual scumbags rather than gangs as represented in your OP. There isn't a gang of people doing it in Edenderry, more a case of individual scummers that think they run the place. A few out of control teenagers bascially.

Only last week I was waiting for a taxi, talking to a few others with me, and I got a box from behind, I turned with immediate intention to defend myself only to spot the guards literally powersliding in beside us as they seen the guy hitting me. One guard grabbed him, the other grabbed me. The guard that grabbed me immediately realised I was calm and not going to cause hassle, but the other guy was struggling with the scummer hot hit me, and all the scummer could do was laugh. I said to the guard that that seen what happened and that I was attacked unprovoked, and they agreed as they witnessed it. I asked would the scummer be done for it and the guard told me they could only prosecute if I called them the next day with intention to prosecute. They seen it all happen, but couldn't do anything about it. I knew the little scummer that hit me and he is a harmless tool so I didn't bother doing anything, but I can only imagine this kind of thing happens every weekend in towns all around the country.

Fair play to you, at least you had the balls to do something. I've intervened myself a number of times, have been in hospital and even garda cells because of it, but I'd still do it without a second thought if neccesary. Knives are the main scourge of these ****ers and you never know who has one and who doesn't, but as long as you're fighting them sober, you stand a lot better chance of making **** of a knife using pussy. Obviously you should also never get involved if you don't feel physically strong enough to do so, that is just asking for trouble.

Another thing that is a factor here is scum on coke. The incident I ended up involved in, your man was on coke and everytime someone got him down, he jumped back up again, there were 4 lads on top of him at one stage and he still managed to get back up.
    Dragan wrote: »
    But really it's not.

There's no smoke without fire I think. Maybe it isn't as bad as Tipperary going by how bad that place sounded on the radio yesterday, but I've been told by someone who I think has sound judgement on this subject that there is a problem in that town with scumbags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Here is the real problem:

1: Our prisons are overcrowded.

2: Our judicial system is outdated and full of loopholes

3: The Gardai have their hands tied by legislation brought in by dickheads

There was two guards battered last year up in Dublin because they hesitated in using their batons because they were afraid of the consequences if a complaint was made. If they are given the power they need to police this country they will use if very effectively. Unfortunately the judges are out of touch, sentences are a joke and there is way too much concern for the human rights of scum when the victim is practically forgotten about.

THE WHOLE SYSTEM IS FAILING AND NO POLITICIAN HAS THE BALLS TO FIX IT.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Bring Back Birching.

But only for people who shake their fist in impotent rage at the internets.

• Advertisement

Only last week I was waiting for a taxi, talking to a few others with me, and I got a box from behind, I turned with immediate intention to defend myself only to spot the guards literally powersliding in beside us as they seen the guy hitting me. One guard grabbed him, the other grabbed me. The guard that grabbed me immediately realised I was calm and not going to cause hassle, but the other guy was struggling with the scummer hot hit me, and all the scummer could do was laugh. I said to the guard that that seen what happened and that I was attacked unprovoked, and they agreed as they witnessed it. I asked would the scummer be done for it and the guard told me they could only prosecute if I called them the next day with intention to prosecute. They seen it all happen, but couldn't do anything about it. I knew the little scummer that hit me and he is a harmless tool so I didn't bother doing anything, but I can only imagine this kind of thing happens every weekend in towns all around the country.

You think that's bad!!! The scumbag that put me into hospital, the Gardai arrested him wanted to charge him with GBH. Then a week later I get a visit from the Gardai telling me that your man is connected to a major drug dealer in the area and I'd be well advised to withdraw the complaint because if I turned up in court as a witness, I could be identified and my house/car targetted or windows put in, or could end up in hospital again if this guy and his dealer cronies decided that they didn't want to get a sentence in court.

Advertisement