Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland absolutely disgraced...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Stekelly wrote: »
    Are you for real? You really expect a gard to wade into a gang of blokes? Does the baton even the numbers up or somehting? The only thing that will happen there is the Gard will end up in hospital.

I'm all for groups of gards knoking lumps out of scumbags, but you seem to expect a Gard thatr sees 10 blokes up to no good to be Bruce lee and have them all hog tied and ready to be lifted into the back of the transit when it arrives.

These guys have back up!!! If there are 5-10 sh*theads causing trouble, and putting it up to the Gardai, then call in more Gardai, take out the batons and baton charge them.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭The Citizen

If freedom from the scum is to be achieved we must unite and improve our skillsets in combat, weaponary and stealth.
    We must study the scum to ensure we always know their next move.
    When we strike, the scum will be terror striken.
    Violence is not the answer, but if that's what we must to to uphold justice, let the fists fly.

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

chin_grin wrote: »
    What you're implying sounds like vigilantism though......hmm.

The thing is, that's very easily one way things could go. I'd say with the R word going on, people will be a hell of a lot less tolerant and willing to put up with scumbags. Think about how many people today would consider Padraig Nally a hero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Sorry mate but you have been watching too much tv Darragh

When was the last time you ever saw a group of Gardai baton charge anyone?

Last time I remember was when "Robocop" did it and look what happened to him.

I witnessed a Garda arrest two scummers a few months back and he had to wait at a corner for almost 30 minutes until backup arrived all the while having to put up with abuse from scum who had him surrounded. He was lucky not to get lynched.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Darragh29 wrote: »
    You think that's bad!!! The scumbag that put me into hospital, the Gardai arrested him wanted to charge him with GBH. Then a week later I get a visit from the Gardai telling me that your man is connected to a major drug dealer in the area and I'd be well advised to withdraw the complaint because if I turned up in court as a witness, I could be identified and my house/car targetted or windows put in, or could end up in hospital again if this guy and his dealer cronies decided that they didn't want to get a sentence in court.

what did you do

• Advertisement

RonMexico wrote: »
    Sorry mate but you have been watching too much tv Darragh

When was the last time you ever saw a group of Gardai baton charge anyone?

Last time I remember was when "Robocop" did it and look what happened to him.

I witnessed a Garda arrest two scummers a few months back and he had to wait at a corner for almost 30 minutes until backup arrived all the while having to put up with abuse from scum who had him surrounded. He was lucky not to get lynched.

This is the point, the Gardai will baton charge a group of noisy tree huggers, but that's about it. If they have to be armed, then arm them, make the decision and get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

These guys have back up!!! If there are 5-10 sh*theads causing trouble, and putting it up to the Gardai, then call in more Gardai, take out the batons and baton charge them.

You asked,"When is the last time you heard a Garda taking a batton to a gang of scumbags in this country???".

My answer was that would be stupid.

Plenty of scumbags rightly have the ****e knocked out of them by the Gards. It doesnt make the papers because they dotn make compliants because they deserved it and it was in the course of duty for the Gards.

bluewolf wrote: »
    what did you do

The GBH charges were dropped. The Gardai brought him to court on a public disorder charge which meant I didn't have to appear as witness.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

The GBH charges were dropped. The Gardai brought him to court on a public disorder charge which meant I didn't have to appear as witness.

Is there not another way of charging so that you don't have appear in front of them in person

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Relevant

So you dropped the charges and bottled it?
    I think there is a problem with the Gardai in this country.... they are a load of wasters who are chicken sh*t

So who is the real chicken ****?

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    Is there not another way of charging so that you don't have appear in front of them in person

No, unfortunately not. If your charged with GBH, you are obviously entitled to know the name of the person you are alleged to have assaulted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,954 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Relevant wrote: »

Thats a bit harsh. He has no powers to protect himself. The judicial system and the Gardai should be empowered to protect the victim but they aren't.

I was living at home at the time, I wasn't prepared to possibly see my parents possibly being turned into charcoal as they slept in their bed over the matter.

What would you do if you had a Garda calling into your house, strongly advising you to drop the charges because they couldn't protect you??? Would you dispense with the advice and put your family at risk when its been made clear to you that you are dealing with top level criminals here who would think nothing of burning you out of your house or shooting you???

• Ireland is a joke because the guards do nothing. So many times I've seen assaults and fights and god knows what else in the city centre of Dublin and not a guard to be seen. How is this possible? Here in Belgium, at the SLIGHTEST disturbance, you have 5 police officers on the scene within literally seconds. There were 2 knackers (quite a rare sight here) drinking and harrassing people on the street, which in Dublin would be 100% 'normal', people accepting it and not batting a eyelid, well the police sped up and arrested them. Any time there is a scuffle in the metro, the police show up and sort it out. I got so sick of antisocial behaviour being the 'norm' in Dublin that I had to GTFO and I'm so glad I did.

As long as Irish people keep up the mentality that 'sure this happens everywhere, sure there are scumbags everywhere', the country will remain a kip. Of course there are problems everywhere, but this particular issue is dealt with so much better in other countries.

I'm just gonna leave this here:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Mhmm...weetabix

Big words from someone on the internet :rolleyes:, I'm sure you'd testify if you were advised by the Guards not too, hope it never happens to you but if it does and you survive please let us know how not been a chicken**** worked out for you!
    If you cant tell I've been in a similar situation so go **** yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I'll just leave this here. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Big words from someone on the internet :rolleyes:, I'm sure you'd testify if you were advised by the Guards not too, hope it never happens to you but if it does and you survive please let us know how not been a chicken**** worked out for you!
    If you cant tell I've been in a similar situation so go **** yourself

the two of you, learn to post with out abusing people or you will get a ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

The problem isn't with the Gardai, it's with the legal system constantly giving out nothing but slaps on the wrist. The boys in blue can arrest someone for drinking in public on Paddy's day, but it'll amount to nothing. Scumbags know this and that's why they're not afraid of the gardai, because being arrested is at worst a minor inconvenience to them. We've a judicial system that has ingrained it into these people that their actions will be met with indifference.

The legal system doesn't constantly give out 'slaps on the wrist' - Manuela Reido's killer got life for her murder, and ten years for robbing the camera and phone - absolutely warranted but hardly a 'slap on the wrist' I'm delighted with the result of the case, everyone from the Guards to the Prosecutor to the Judge got it spot on, a sign of a legal system that works.

As a college student, I often sneaked a few cans in public and never got caught. Should I have been jailed instead or is that only for people in tracksuits and baseball caps? The point is once you go down the 'lock them all up' route it's very hard to retain any level of discretion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭utick

gardai vs hundreds/thousands scumbags '95 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcdnzeoBJT4&feature=related (starts at 4 min 30 sec)

3 gardai nowadays vs one scumbag http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixy8HK5w5gA&feature=related

it appears they are affraid to do their job at the moment, the laws need to be changed

• Advertisement

absolutely warranted but hardly a 'slap on the wrist'

Of course not, it's a highly publicised international case, you can guarantee that had a bearing on the sentance.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

If the Gardai on patrol had Tazers, it might even the odds a bit if outnumbered.

At the end of the day, these gangs are armed and fearless. Also, along the lines of what Darragh said about his family possibly being targeted - Gardai have families too and if a particular Garda decides to "take on the scum", their families are at risks from retaliation from the gangs.

There's no easy solution, but making prison tougher is a start - gang members see it almost as a badge of honour to have "done time" - playstations, sky tv, opportunities to do degrees etc., and then when released, welcomed back into their circles as heroes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Ah Joe Duffy.

There's no smoke without fire but this is ridiculous
    I'm from Tipperary town myself and I was here Paddys day and I'd just like to clear some details up-
    Valmont wrote: »
    From my experience with "gangs" terrorising towns (not much mind you), I'd bet with near certainty that this family is a family of travellers.
    Correct.
    DarkJager wrote: »
    The gardai should pull their finger out when it comes to this gang. If they are so well known as troublemakers, why not come down on them like a ton of bricks? Or even better, gather a few guys with baseball bats and treat these scummers to some of their own medicine.

Also, you may want to contemplate why nobody jumped in to help this tourist? Have Irish men become so pussyfied that they're scared of some little shirtless scummer ****heads? For **** sake, if you see someone getting beaten like that, at least grab an iron bar or some sort of makeshift weapon and make some attempt to lay the ****ers out instead of standing there watching it.

1st- "gang". They were not a gang terrorising Tipperary. There were a group of 6 relations not even from Tipperary. So of course they couldnt be "well known as troublemakers" as was implied on the show as they're not from around here. Unless people were making a general racist statement about travellers.

2nd- "a few guys with baseball bats". A well known publican from Tipp's son was given a few digs in the head. The publican picked up a bat and approached said "gang". They then proceeded to beat him with his own baseball bat and bottled him for good measure. Result? 9 stitches in the head.

3rd- "nobody jumped in". First of all this incident occurred in the tourists car. It happened in the space of about 2 minutes, while he was parked at a red light. No1 reacted quick enough to stop these boys. Also when dealing with people like these, people don't want to get involved because if you had seen what they'd done to this guy you wouldn't have wanted to get yourself involved. Sad but true.

Finally, 3 of these people are in custody. They will be brought to court on Wednesday. There is CCTV footage documenting all the violence.

Normally Tipp is a safe enough place to be, well as safe as anywhere else in the country. We have the obligatory few young scumbags but we do not have gang violence in Tipperary. There are a few rough avenues but that is all. I think the main result of the Joe Duffy show on the issue was simply scaremongering.

Sorry for the long post!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭pcardin

[quote=[Deleted User];59497287]Ireland is a joke because the guards do nothing. So many times I've seen assaults and fights and god knows what else in the city centre of Dublin and not a guard to be seen. How is this possible? Here in Belgium, at the SLIGHTEST disturbance, you have 5 police officers on the scene within literally seconds. There were 2 knackers (quite a rare sight here) drinking and harrassing people on the street, which in Dublin would be 100% 'normal', people accepting it and not batting a eyelid, well the police sped up and arrested them. Any time there is a scuffle in the metro, the police show up and sort it out. I got so sick of antisocial behaviour being the 'norm' in Dublin that I had to GTFO and I'm so glad I did.

As long as Irish people keep up the mentality that 'sure this happens everywhere, sure there are scumbags everywhere', the country will remain a kip. Of course there are problems everywhere, but this particular issue is dealt with so much better in other countries.[/QUOTE]
    100% agree. But guards must be armed here to do something. No arms no fight.
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Svalbard

Society is going to **** but I don't understand the OPs opening post - is he offended by crime in all cases, or only when foreigners are involved and Ireland then gets a bad international reputation?

Ireland has a serious crime and anti-social behaviour problem it needs to tackle. It should be done for the good of the people, not because it makes us 'look bad' to foreigners.

BTW I hope Gerald Barry never breathes a free breath of air for what he did to that poor girl. I also can't believe the jury had to adjourn overnight to consider the verdict!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

This thread sinks of rabble rousing and simplistic views of a complex problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

I was living at home at the time, I wasn't prepared to possibly see my parents possibly being turned into charcoal as they slept in their bed over the matter.

What would you do if you had a Garda calling into your house, strongly advising you to drop the charges because they couldn't protect you??? Would you dispense with the advice and put your family at risk when its been made clear to you that you are dealing with top level criminals here who would think nothing of burning you out of your house or shooting you???

You did the right thing Darragh.

Unless your Mike Tyson's twin brother, then there is no justice for ***** like them.They know who you are and will destroy every thing you have and there's nothing you can do about it, unless you take the law into your own hands ( if you can ).

They own this place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

The truth is the average scumbag laughs at the Garda on the beat. Until that changes this kind of thing will continue. I can say for a fact there is one area in particular close to where i live in south Dublin where the Garda will not not enter unless there has been a murder. That is a unbelievable situation.:(

Svalbard wrote: »
    I don't understand the OPs opening post - is he offended by crime in all cases, or only when foreigners are involved and Ireland then gets a bad international reputation?

At least those of us here living in this place know what we are dealing with. I'm actually embarrassed that people come here thinking that they will be in a safe country where events like serious assaults are rare. The truth is that there isn't another place on the planet that I think you would find a greater congregation of scumbags and useless junkie sh*theads than you will find on this island, the country at this stage I think has been overrun with them.

• Advertisement

Tony Broke wrote: »
    You did the right thing Darragh.

Unless your Mike Tyson's twin brother, then there is no justice for ***** like them.They know who you are and will destroy every thing you have and there's nothing you can do about it, unless you take the law into your own hands ( if you can ).

They own this place.

Fu*ckin right mate, the Gardai are afraid of them and I'm supposed to take a stand, oh I forgot, not just me but my family and their house and property???

Advertisement