Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland absolutely disgraced...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Finally, 3 of these people are in custody. They will be brought to court on Wednesday. There is CCTV footage documenting all the violence.

Normally Tipp is a safe enough place to be, well as safe as anywhere else in the country. We have the obligatory few young scumbags but we do not have gang violence in Tipperary. There are a few rough avenues but that is all. I think the main result of the Joe Duffy show on the issue was simply scaremongering.

I've a mate who lives in Nenagh and that's another kip that he has told me has been overran with useless scum. I don't think the people I was listening to on the radio yesterday were scaremongering, one person had to move house (on the advice of the Gardai), after ending up living next door to this particular family from hell. People don't spend all day ringing a radio show describing a problem, if there is actually no problem to begin with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Darragh29 wrote: »
    At least those of us here living in this place know what we are dealing with. I'm actually embarrassed that people come here thinking that they will be in a safe country where events like serious assaults are rare. The truth is that there isn't another place on the planet that I think you would find a greater congregation of scumbags and useless junkie sh*theads than you will find on this island, the country at this stage I think has been overrun with them.

You should work in the media. The ability to incite fear and rabble rouse are great selling points in an interview for some newspapers (Read: rags).

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Svalbard

At least those of us here living in this place know what we are dealing with. I'm actually embarrassed that people come here thinking that they will be in a safe country where events like serious assaults are rare. The truth is that there isn't another place on the planet that I think you would find a greater congregation of scumbags and useless junkie sh*theads than you will find on this island, the country at this stage I think has been overrun with them.

You need to travel more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

You should work in the media. The ability to incite fear and rabble rouse are great selling points in an interview for some newspapers (Read: rags).

this gang of scum were naked to the waist armed with iron bars, at about 6 o clock they were attacking any car that happened to try and pass them, it is the 99% of them who give the 1% a bad name. o p you should wake up and smell the morning coffee, or else the smell that is always recognoiseable from this particular blemish on our society, who i may add have their their own media and spin doctors, who get plenty of media attention. who can draw the dole and trade by law, who have more rights than the ordinary joe citizen, i will not go any farther. this is a rant and the truth unfortunatly

Ah Joe Duffy.

There's no smoke without fire but this is ridiculous
    I'm from Tipperary town myself and I was here Paddys day and I'd just like to clear some details up-
    Correct.

1st- "gang". They were not a gang terrorising Tipperary. There were a group of 6 relations not even from Tipperary. So of course they couldnt be "well known as troublemakers" as was implied on the show as they're not from around here. Unless people were making a general racist statement about travellers.

2nd- "a few guys with baseball bats". A well known publican from Tipp's son was given a few digs in the head. The publican picked up a bat and approached said "gang". They then proceeded to beat him with his own baseball bat and bottled him for good measure. Result? 9 stitches in the head.

3rd- "nobody jumped in". First of all this incident occurred in the tourists car. It happened in the space of about 2 minutes, while he was parked at a red light. No1 reacted quick enough to stop these boys. Also when dealing with people like these, people don't want to get involved because if you had seen what they'd done to this guy you wouldn't have wanted to get yourself involved. Sad but true.

Finally, 3 of these people are in custody. They will be brought to court on Wednesday. There is CCTV footage documenting all the violence.

Normally Tipp is a safe enough place to be, well as safe as anywhere else in the country. We have the obligatory few young scumbags but we do not have gang violence in Tipperary. There are a few rough avenues but that is all. I think the main result of the Joe Duffy show on the issue was simply scaremongering.

Sorry for the long post!! ;)

Well I've just decided where I'm going on holiday this year! Should I bring my own helmet or do I get one at the border? :P

• Advertisement

Svalbard wrote: »
    You need to travel more.

If I had four hands, I wouldn't be able to count the number of countries I've travelled to, I've yet to visit one that has anywhere near the amount of skang that this country has in it.

If I had four hands, I wouldn't be able to count the number of countries I've travelled to, I've yet to visit one that has anywhere near the amount of skang that this country has in it.

So true. Ever seen an Irish knacker trying to pull the **** they pull in Ireland in Spain? Or pretty much any European country?

It's pretty satisfying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Buzz Killington

Possibly because you are visiting holiday type places? I could give you a list of places that if you stopped your car while driving through, you stand a good chance of being robbed or the sh1t kicked out of you.

As for the garda, sure they are like the rest of ye. Just geting a wage, clocking in and clocking out. Why would they bother their bollix creating more paper work for thenselves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Probably being in Ireland on st Patricks day is the last place that American tourist thought such a thing could happen .Saying it could happen anywere doesn't count . The picture of the incident as described by Darragh would make me want to get the first plane out of the country to .But then leaving without pressing charges means rthe **** who did it gets off scot free, thumbs his nose at the law , and will probably do it again to somebody else .Perhaps he already has . ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Possibly because you are visiting holiday type places? I could give you a list of places that if you stopped your car while driving through, you stand a good chance of being robbed or the sh1t kicked out of you.

Yeah, they are probably 3rd world countries, we don't live in a 3rd world country, not yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Spent much time in a South American shantytown?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Buzz Killington

Yeah, they are probably 3rd world countries, we don't live in a 3rd world country, not yet.

I wound not have called France a 3rd world country. Marseile in particular springs to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

dsmythy wrote: »
    Spent much time in a South American shantytown?

Hardly a tourist destination is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

I wound not have called France a 3rd world country. Marseile in particular springs to mind.

Large chunks of Poland, Large chunks of east-Germany, Large parts of southern France, HUGE blocks of england and scotland, Hungary, Croatia etc.. etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

This is why im completely for a doubling of prison sentences for every crime committed in this country. Rapists getting off after a few years, murderers getting out after less than ten years and people than commit assaults not getting any prison time sometimes??? Capital punishment should be brought back with a vengence. Some people deserve to die. Rapists, pedophiles, murders and traitors! Send them all to the gallows! Lethal injection is too nice for them.

Put them in jail and they can't harm regular folk, common sense. Make the sentences long enough and make convictions easier...the extra money for jails would be well worth it for public safety.

Hardly a tourist destination is it?

Nope but the guy i was responding to claims Ireland has the worst concentration of "skangers" in the world and says he is well travelled which is meant to show that he has been around. Well travelled in nice places.

Nope but the guy i was responding to claims Ireland has the worst concentration of "skangers" in the world and says he is well travelled which is meant to show that he has been around. Well travelled in nice places.

This is the biggest problem we have in this country. When we have a problem here, we point to where the problem is worse and compare ourselves and our situation to where things are a lot worse, and we end up at the conclusion that things aren't that bad over here!!!

Why don't we look at places that are better and ask ourselves why we are not enjoying the better quality of life that they have in these places, rather than slapping ourselves on the back because we have it better than the folks in Angola!?!?!?!

Some of the places I've been to regularly, (where I'm actually thinking of moving to for a few months of the year, possibly Portugal), places like Portugal, Spain, Cyprus, Brittany, Belgium, Canada, you just don't see the same stupid carry on over there, the tolerance of scum, it just doesn't happen. I don't know what they are doing differently in these places but you can walk around at night and do what you want and you don't have to look over your shoulder, not the case over here...

We send out a message to the US and other locations that Ireland is to use your own words, a "nice place". The truth is that it isn't a nice place here, not nearly as nice as the tourist ads would have you think. People who come here must at some stage feel cheated when they walk down to the GPO in Dublin and see a street half full of junkies sauntering around the place annoying them for a cigarette.

The closest thing I've seen to this country while travelling is in Cairo in Egypt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭랴연

Regarding the original post.

Murders do happen everywhere and there are complete scum everywhere etc but ....

I've lived in a lot of different countries and the Gardai and the Irish Justice system are without a doubt the worst I have ever seen.

The Gardai are simply useless. They probably don't have enough manpower etc to do their job but they very rarely even make an attempt at it. I have absolutely no respect for them, they should be ashamed of themselves.

Equally our Justice system is pathetic.

For one simple example, I was out in my student days and there was a fight going on outside a pub. I was heading towards it and in front of me 2 cops rounded a corner heading towards the pub as well. They saw the fight, turned around and walked back around the corner.

The publicans here know theres no reason to call them if theres trouble because they simply don't want to know about it.

Ireland is a small country with a small population. Right now I am living in a City with a total population in the metropolitan area of 23 million people. Violent crime is very rare and there is nowhere here that would be deemed an 'unsafe' area to walk through any time of day or night.

Why ? For a few reasons, the mentality of the culture for one and the fact the cops actually do their job. Drugs r practically non-existant here because of the very strict penalties against it and the fact the cops are ruthless going after dealers etc.

And as for sticking your nose into a fight or something else. Say I saw a few knackers beating the crap out of someone, would I intervene ?

5 years ago I would say absolutely yes. Now ? Here I would, in other countries I would.

In Ireland ? Probably not. I intervened in something before, not a beating but a gang of scum were trying to get some money off a young foreign one and were surrounding her. So I stuck my nose in and subsequently got it broken along with a good old kicking.

So there I was getting a kicking while other lads were walking past ignoring it on a Saturday evening.

So no, If I was on my own in Ireland and came across a group of knackers beating up someone then no I probably wouldn't jump in.

In another country then yes I would because in other countries the decent people actually do decent things and they wouldn't leave anyone getting a hammering like that whereas the modern Irishman is only big and brave if he has 5 or 6 mates along with him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

All this crime on our streets, sound like a job for "The Coon"...

Or failing that how about some Gardaí more like the one played
    by Colm Meaney in Intermission, Jerry Lynch was it?
    Less the penchant for Celtic Mysticism of course...

We send out a message to the US and other locations that Ireland is to use your own words, a "nice place". The truth is that it isn't a nice place here, not nearly as nice as the tourist ads would have you think. People who come here must at some stage feel cheated when they walk down to the GPO in Dublin and see a street half full of junkies sauntering around the place annoying them for a cigarette.

The closest thing I've seen to this country while travelling is in Cairo in Egypt.

Response to both your posts.

I'm not saying we should ignore problems just because others are worse i was more objecting to your insistence that Dublin is the worst around. I walk around Dublin at night without looking over my shoulder or worry. Not because i'm some hard man or something but because i don't feel particularly ill at ease.

You mention Belgium for example. Never been myself but my brother has been to a couple of cities there and found them very dodgy places with dodgy characters on the streets compared to Dublin. You mentioned Spain. Would you wander around some parts of Madrid or Barcelona feeling less fearful than you would Dublin? Do you think Dublin is really worse than Glasgow's East End? Brixton or Croydon in London? Parisien suburbs in France? Large swathes of Berlin? Naples or Rome in Italy?

I think Dublin suffers from it's city centre/inner-city type area being very small and connected. Walk 20 minutes in any direction from O'Connell Bridge and you end up in what would be described as a run down inner-city location. Compared to larger city centres the inner-city poverty is very close and related to what the Americans would describe as Downtown.

No way is Dublin among the worst as you say. I agree though that it's no excuse to let things slide either just because we're in better shape than some of our European friends.

랴연 wrote: »
    Ireland is a small country with a small population. Right now I am living in a City with a total population in the metropolitan area of 23 million people. Violent crime is very rare and there is nowhere here that would be deemed an 'unsafe' area to walk through any time of day or night.

You're going to have to tell us the name of the city to get this in context.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭랴연

You're going to have to tell us the name of the city to get this in context.

Seoul

This programme is intresting in that it shows how the various police forces deal with crime up and down the country ,from assaults, robberys , theft , car crime ,drunkeness , drug problems etc and a real eye opener . If the gardai had the will power and similar resorces to deal with the same problems, in Irish citys towns and villages , it would go some way to reassuring the Irish public and tourists alike .

HomeReality ShowStreet Crime UK

Action-packed show looking at how the police are responding to the recent alarming rise in street crime. Police arrest youths loitering by a London cash point, pursue a stolen car in Sussex, and look for a suspect in Southampton who has allegedly knocked somebody's teeth out.

http://uk-tv-guide.com/programme-details/Bravo+2/23+March+2009/05%3A00/Street+Crime+UK/Reality+Show/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

The victim and his girlfriend just wanted to get the f*ck out this country after this happened, as soon as they could get out of the hospital, they got a taxi to Dublin airport and got the first flight back to the US
    This isn't "disgracing Ireland" - that couple, well understandably they were very distressed, but getting out of the country as fast as they could based on an incident that happened to take place in one corner of the entire country... is rather knee-jerk. I mean, if they're going to go round telling all their mates "oh man, Ireland is really dangerous - look what happened to me there", **** 'em tbh.
    As an Irish person living in Ireland, I have absolutely zero reason to feel any sort of responsibility for that attack.
    The vast, vast, vast majority of visitors to this country get on just fine. It doesn't have anywhere near as bad a crime problem as the United States.
    [quote=[Deleted User];59497287]Ireland is a joke because the guards do nothing. So many times I've seen assaults and fights and god knows what else in the city centre of Dublin and not a guard to be seen. How is this possible? Here in Belgium, at the SLIGHTEST disturbance, you have 5 police officers on the scene within literally seconds. There were 2 knackers (quite a rare sight here) drinking and harrassing people on the street, which in Dublin would be 100% 'normal', people accepting it and not batting a eyelid, well the police sped up and arrested them. Any time there is a scuffle in the metro, the police show up and sort it out. I got so sick of antisocial behaviour being the 'norm' in Dublin that I had to GTFO and I'm so glad I did.

As long as Irish people keep up the mentality that 'sure this happens everywhere, sure there are scumbags everywhere', the country will remain a kip. Of course there are problems everywhere, but this particular issue is dealt with so much better in other countries.[/QUOTE]
    In Turkey, the police keep people in check by being really intimidating. It's a difficult one - to strike a balance between threatening/coercive and neither, yet still being effective (as seems to be the case in Belgium).
    Relevant wrote: »
    So you dropped the charges and bottled it? So who is the real chicken ****?
    LOL - going against the grain, apropos nothing. How interesting of you.
    This thread sinks of rabble rousing and simplistic views of a complex problem.
    In fairness, it's understandable when people get annoyed by scumbags having the upper hand.
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Seoul

That's because you are too busy playing Starcraft to kick the crap out of each other :P

Plus the disclipine from miltary service might knock the skanger out of some Korean lads

Originally Posted by Relevant
    So you dropped the charges and bottled it? So who is the real chicken ****?
    If as Darragh said the American in question fled the country without pressing charges against the culprit ,then he cannot turn around back home and say he didn't get any justice in Ireland, when he didn't look , or want it in first place . Of course he may have being so traumatised he just wanted away .But If my eye was hanging out as described by OP then I would want to have my day in court with the fcuker who did it .

Dudess wrote: »
    This isn't "disgracing Ireland" - that couple, well understandably they were very distressed, but getting out of the country as fast as they could based on an incident that happened to take place in one corner of the entire country... is rather knee-jerk. I mean, if they're going to go round telling all their mates "oh man, Ireland is really dangerous - look what happened to me there", **** 'em tbh.
    As an Irish person living in Ireland, I have absolutely zero reason to feel any sort of responsibility for that attack.

Well when you look a bit closer at the context, I feel personally embarrassed at what happened here. Firstly this "gang" or whatever you want to refer to it as, that is causing all the trouble in Tipperary Town, were drinking and making a complete nuisence of themselves in the middle of the day. This was before they attacked anyone! The Gardai saw them in mid flight p*ssed out of their faces roaring at people on the street, with their tops off, acting in what you could only call a threatening and menacing manner, and guess what the Gardai do??? The Gardai look the other way and walk up the other end of town to get a Snack Box!?!?!?!?!

Now I know you can be assaulted anywhere, but in all seriousness, these people are GARDAI, apparently trained and furthermore, HANSOMLY PAID, to identify and manage public order issues. The response on this occasion was to refuse to deal with an obvious issue early on in the day, it was allowed to develop, and a lad ends up getting his face kicked in... If I was in that mans shoes now, I'd be asking myself what kind of a dump this country is that tolerates this kind of inaction and apathy from Gardai towards KNOWN OFFENDERS. In a decent country, someone would lose their job over this, it's nothing less than a dereliction of duty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

So no, If I was on my own in Ireland and came across a group of knackers beating up someone then no I probably wouldn't jump in.

In another country then yes I would because in other countries the decent people actually do decent things and they wouldn't leave anyone getting a hammering like that whereas the modern Irishman is only big and brave if he has 5 or 6 mates along with him.

Only the Irish would do such a thing...oh...hang on a sec....why just today in good ould decent Oz......

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/australiaandthepacific/australia/5032653/Biker-beaten-to-death-in-Sydney-airport.html
    Biker beaten to death in Sydney airport

Members of an Australian motorcycle gang bludgeoned a rival to death in Sydney airport as horrified passengers looked on.

Witnesses said the bikers beat the man with metal crowd control bollards as he lay on the ground in the check-in area.

The fight is thought to have involved members of the Hell's Angels and Comancheros biker gangs.

The 28-year-old victim suffered severe head injuries and died in hospital.

Detective Inspector Peter Williams said the attack occurred in front of about 50 witnesses and involved about 15 bikers.

He said: "An act perpetrated by a group of cowards, who I believe purport to be tough," he said. "But groups running around assaulting people in the middle of an airport – I think they're cowards and they're weak."
    Witness Phil Crew said: "All of a sudden a whole rush of guys came through the crowd, picked up the poles and just started smacking this guy in the head."
    Williams said police had arrested four men and were collecting evidence from closed circuit television cameras at the airport.

The truth is, this sh*t happens everywhere and its not just a case of "the modern Irishman is only big and brave if he has 5 or 6 mates along with him."

Advertisement