Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland absolutely disgraced...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

plus it seems that they congregate around the post office and collect money from some of our weaker brethern on dole day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Pavie's out

I have personally delt with these people and its a hard job avoiding people that have nothing better to do than prowl around all day every day looking for someone or something to rob they have gotten away with so much for so long that they seem to be above the law 2nd class citizen's 1st class pain in the a** jail is too good for these people regular meals and free acomadation is what they will be rewarded with they should be kept in a drug induced coma so they waste away other than that the worst thing you could do to them is educate them and thats true ive had many run in's with these people and the gardi's responce to a complaint i tried to place was you must not have very much to think about as if i was over reacting point is their not normal people and certainly wouldn class them as Irish they are a race of their own!:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

Well, the Guards have their own problems, etc.

Here's an idea.
    Let there be a 'shock troop' operating in real trouble spots.

Draw them from an an aboundant local resourase.

The big Polish buildiry types!
    Plenty of 'em about.

Give them good pay, basic training, guns & a uniform.

Then, let them loose on the inbred knackers that cause all the trouble!!

Admittedly, the idea needs a little bit of refinement, but has anybody got any better ideas???

Answers on a postcard please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Exneigh

Well, the Guards have their own problems, etc.

Here's an idea.
    Let there be a 'shock troop' operating in real trouble spots.

Draw them from an an aboundant local resourase.

The big Polish buildiry types!
    Plenty of 'em about.

Give them good pay, basic training, guns & a uniform.

Then, let them loose on the inbred knackers that cause all the trouble!!

Admittedly, the idea needs a little bit of refinement, but has anybody got any better ideas???

Answers on a postcard please.

Fantastic Idea! we could use our Army! (we have one of those, right?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

Exneigh wrote: »
    Fantastic Idea! we could use our Army! (we have one of those, right?)

Dosn't seem to be working so far..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 JamBastard

Im from Tipperary Town and Id like nothing more to tell you all what a useless cowardly criminal gang they are here. Whats the point, nothing will be done, just whats the point.
    Just a taster, a certain Garda in Tipp Town like to go drinking on the job, met him in a pub myself about a month ago, he was on the job - fact, was drinking after hours - fact, drove home - fact.
    Have seen fights virtually every Saturday night I go out in town, NEVER NEVER have seen guards interveen. Im talking about right outside the night club at kicking out time, they will drive up and down every 10 minutes or so in the unmarked (everyone knows its the unmarked) in the meantime seven shades of **** will be kicked out of someone.
    Six weeks ago, in the night club I was in, a certain man(an obviously drunk and high lad) stole someones crutch from inside the night club, walked straight out onto the street, broke windows, hit people etc etc, was RAMPAGING for a good ten minutes, gards showed up, they were watching him for a while, then drove off again!!!! After roughly 15 minutes of him rampaging, about 10 lads appeared from a sidestreet off the main street with sticks and beat the living **** out of this lad to the point where he was unconscious and bleeding badly from his head, never guess who beat the **** out of him... this family, the traveller family that is causing such news on Joe Duffy - I doubt Im allowed say their names but everyone in Tipp knows who these scumbags are, they even built these ****ers houses, brand new houses, are they happy, no.
    I dont want to say anymore incase anyone finds out who I am or the Gards find out, they have a fantastic reputation for locking lads in cells and beating the living **** outta them.
    These are facts.

(Had to register new account out of fear of being identified)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 kaizer05

Our whole justice system needs to be overhauled the laws that are around now are decades old and might have been suitable 50 odd years ago but times have changed dramatically and imo for the worst,theres more murder's shooting's rapes etc than ever before, why can't we follow america's example for there tough stance on prison sentences.Our laws are just not working

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

kaizer05 wrote: »
    Our whole justice system needs to be overhauled the laws that are around now are decades old and might have been suitable 50 odd years ago but times have changed dramatically and imo for the worst,theres more murder's shooting's rapes etc than ever before, why can't we follow america's example for there tough stance on prison sentences.Our laws are just not working

As an American,I can't really say that 'our lawas are working'. We have more people in jail for longer sentences, being let out early because of the overwhelming number of people being incarcerated.

While I have no problem seeing these people taken off of the street, it really doesn't seem to be do much to persuade others of breaking the same laws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Dillinger3000

thats what im saying, jail isnt really a detterant because thugs like this wear a long list of convictions like a badge of honor, and jail is like a right of passage. makes the little juvenile thugs respect them more if theyve been "inside".
    scumbags who only pick on people they either know they can beat up, or know their victim wont fight back are cowards of the highest order.
    they will only attack if they are with their scumbag friends and outnumber the victims.
    what are they afraid of? some people would say nothing.
    i dont agree with that. i would advocate using extreme violence against them, its the only thing that works with people of this mentality in my opinion. send them home with their tail between their legs.

by the way, these guys have assaulted so many innocent people at this stage, why cant all the victims band together and all give evidence in court at the same time??
    could a judge not give them 2 years for every unprovoked attack, and considering the unrelenting nature of the attacks over a number of years, lock these w*nkers up for a long long time????

:mad:The problem is that the cops are no better than the travelers, they all tell lies and cover eachother's holes ever see a cop stuttering and stammering on the stand something has to be done in this town they are picking on easy target's sames as the travelers so they keep their arrest record up and it looks like they are infact doing something but all they are doing is harassing the people as much as the pavies

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

I think there are 3 different type of guards in Ireland. The ones that go for it as a career choice, the ones that do it because they did not get their selected course in college and the old school 1960's weeks from retirement ones.

I have had dealings with all three. I was assaulted by a traveler a few years ago and it was the old cop who replied, before I even made a statement he started telling me how nothing much might be done. He had given up before we even started. He is also the same cop that I reported a little ****er breaking my window to, I ran down and caught the scumbag, got his name and gave it to the cops. Alas nothing was done. Plus despite the lad only being about 14 or 15 he knew that if I hit him he had the upper hand, and told me so.

The second type, the last resort guards are the ones in my opinion that are just there for the cheque and don't want to get involved. They are a bigger problem than the thugs if you ask me.

I live in a small town and despite it's bad name 90% of the time its as safe as you would expect a small town to be. That aside on paddys day last year we had a riot, a load of travelers arrived into town and basically made bits of the place. They were beating each other with iron bars and it eventually moved from the town center to the front of my house. I was inside at the time and although one of them started to piss on my car there was nothing I could about it as they are absolutely mental outside. Swinging inch thick iron bars at each other, had I gone out I would have been killed. If I had loaded my gun and went outside, chances are I would be processed and locked up quicker than the trouble makers as one of the 'easy way out' guards would pick on me as they know I am a quite person and be easier to deal with. The guards did arrive but as with a lot of local villages, one guard arrived first and the locals somehow expect him to stop over 100 drunk enraged travelers. Even when back up arrived there was only 5 guards against the group. They did deal with it cleverly and managed to separate the groups up at the expense of a few squad cars. I seen one knacker jump on the roof of one of them.
    These knackers have no respect for each others lives so how would they have any respect for mine, yours or an Guard who is just doing his job. Despite what you think, he has/she has to approach a situation knowing that if these guys have guns his live could well be over. That is a daunting task for anyone.

Fast forward to this years paddsy's day and van's full of travelers arrived into town. Walked up the main street as if they owned it. generally putting the ****s up everyone. But this time several squad cars arrived. There was cops everywhere and after the parade ended the travelers ended up clearing off, there was too much of a police presence for them.

I don't think you can entirely blame the guards for the issues, some do not deserve their jobs from walking away from issues but a lot of them that do try get frustrated. We had a judge here that constantly let scumbags off as they 'came from a bad background'. Thats worth feck all to us who have to suffer from their crap. After enough times of this happens a guard will get sick of arresting the same pricks only to have them back again a week later laughing at him.

I think that entrance for the guards should be a lot stricter with people being weeded out who are not ideal for the job. I think they should be armed, but not in the 'give ever one a gun' way. Special units for each district like what they are trialling at the moment. People say if you arm the cops, the criminals will just get bigger guns, the problem is the criminals have already out armed the cops.

Ireland is far less rougher that other countries in my opinion and I have traveled a fair bit. We are smaller by population and size than a lot of 1st world counties but we possess what I think is possible one of the most negative media attitudes ever. A shop getting robbed in dublin could make headline news while the performance of critical life saving surgery around the corner stays unheard of. We are beginning to be duped into a world of fear and this recession is proof of that. With non stop doom and gloom being broadcast into our faces it tends to take the moral down a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭whatisayis

As an American,I can't really say that 'our lawas are working'. We have more people in jail for longer sentences, being let out early because of the overwhelming number of people being incarcerated.

While I have no problem seeing these people taken off of the street, it really doesn't seem to be do much to persuade others of breaking the same laws.

The difference in Ireland is that we only have a population of 4 million (ish). The vast majority of these people are not violent thugs. At present there are about 4000 incarcerated. If there was room for another 4000 I would reckon you would safely clear the streets of the scumbags. Unfortunately, there will always be young fellas who get very drunk at the weekend and start a stupid fight but these are not the same as those who repeatedly attack people. If the three strikes and you get 25 years rule (I think that is still the way it is in the U.S?) applied in Ireland I think eventually it would sink in to the aspiring criminals that maybe there is more to life than crime. If it doesn't, so be it - throw away the key.

Give me a badge and a squad car and ill flatten all those freaks hide them under the wheel arch!

screw the badge ive often had a jypo jump out infront my car's they got into my 1.9 twincam gti pulsar couldn get them out got knife put to my throat from the back seat.. flattened the car!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

Im delighted that the issue itself was highlighted on joe duffy show,it really shamed the gardai,my own town there isnt much gardai on patrol on a saturday night,although maybe an odd row breaking out,it is free for all for the outsiders to come in and cause mayhem,a recent report on prime time investiages about travellers showed it is frustrateing for the gardai aswell when comes to dealing with trouble making travellers,they keep to themselfs,also they move around alot in camps and sites that the gardai cant track them down or refuse to corporate,there needs to be a change on policy for all this do,i often seen in the uk the police are more heavy handed when it comes to dealing with mobs and yobs,i would also think its the irish goverment cut backs that leave the gardai powerless at times.and yes like others said,most of these will probably get a slap on the wrist and let out on bail to collect their dole or attend some sick mother

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭whatisayis

TomTom wrote: »
    I don't think you can entirely blame the guards for the issues, some do not deserve their jobs from walking away from issues but a lot of them that do try get frustrated. We had a judge here that constantly let scumbags off as they 'came from a bad background'. Thats worth feck all to us who have to suffer from their crap. After enough times of this happens a guard will get sick of arresting the same pricks only to have them back again a week later laughing at him.
    Totally agree. It should be a requirement that before a judge is promoted to the bench his family has to spend a few months living in one of Irelands troubled estates. Then they might realise the reality of what people are suffering at the hands of these thugs and the consequences of their inadequate sentencing.

they vanish dont draw their dole and survive in haulting sites making money off dealing drugs and robbing people the dole is a way of keeping tab's on them

yes its a terrible ploy that their solictors use to get the scum off

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

As well all know its very hard break windows with stones form outside a gated estate. Alot of the people who make the decisions that affect our daily lives have no clue what out daily life is like.

we need more judges like the infamous Judge John Neilan,he speaks his mind

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Here's more of the same auld codding going on...

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/eyaueyauojcw/

A 17-year-old girl, who posed as a member of the Garda Drug Squad when she subjected a woman to a violent mugging, has been remanded on continuing bail to await sentencing in May.

The victim, aged 22, had her hair pulled, was punched and had her head beaten off the ground by the girl, who had been trying to steal beer cans worth €19, from her, the Dublin Children’s Court heard.

The teenage girl had pleaded guilty earlier to robbery at Thornleigh Road, in Swords, in Dublin, on November 24, 2007.

Judge Ann Ryan adjourned sentencing the girl, who is on bail, for a victim impact statement to be taken and furnished to the court in May. An updated report from the Probation Service which has been assisting the girl to address her offending has also being sought.

In evidence, Garda Pamela Hart had said that the woman had been returning from a shop with her 13-year-old niece. She had been carrying a bag containing cans of beer when a car, in which the girl was a passenger, pulled up beside her.

The defendant “got out and said she was a member of the Garda Drug Squad and asked to take the cans”.

Garda Hart said that after the victim refused to hand them over the girl “pulled her hair, punched her and knocked her to the ground”.

“She continued to punch her on the head and hit her head off the ground,” Garda Hart said adding that, during the mugging, the woman had tried to defend herself.

The woman’s niece who was present ran off and rang the gardaí.

Garda Hart said the woman was left with two bumps on her head and bruised nose as a result of the robbery.

Judge Ryan described the robbery as “very serious” and had added that she was “amazed that there is no assault charge”.

She noted that the girl, who was accompanied to court by her father, had no prior convictions but was facing sentencing later this month for separate charges for possessing stolen goods, bottles of alcohol.

A 17 year old slapper pretends to be a member of the drug squad and the Gardai couldn't even be bothered putting together an assault charge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CLADA

In a case like this the DPP decides what the defendant is charged with not the Gardai.
    The charge was robbery because there was force and violence used while taking the cans, this charge covers the theft and the assault.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

whatisayis wrote: »
    It is unfair to paint Ireland as more violent than most other countries. There is a scumbag element in most countries but the problem in Ireland is the lenient sentencing by the courts. There should be no such thing as concurrent sentencing for crime involving violence - each incident should receive an appropriate, individual sentence and therefore there would be no-one free to be on the streets with numerous previous convictions. As it stands at the moment, someone can be released on bail after a manslaughter conviction, commit several crimes while on bail and then serve each sentence concurrently. I can't actually think of any instance recently when anyone convicted of several crimes had to serve a consecutive sentence.
    Couldn't have said it better myself! Concurrent sentencing is an absolute JOKE. Especially in the case of violent assault, murder and rape. In fact very few crimes should be allowed the use of concurrent sentencing, you are being locked up for a reason!!
    RossBurke wrote: »

Total over-exaggeration. No young boys in Tipp town live in fear, well except for those who were listening to Joe Duffy!! ;) If we were all fearing for our lives in Tipp I would hardly walk home alone after the disco through the roughest part of town now would I, (19 year old female, petite)?? No offense mate i'm not saying you're exaggerating, i mean the incident itself. this was an isolated incident.

well what i heard on the show were several people who said exactly the same thing.... that this was NOT an isolated incident.... they just dont usually attack 8 or more people a day.
    there were several mothers on to say that their sons had been assaulted in weeks and months preceeding paddys day by the same guys/guys.
    correct me if im wrong but if these youngfellas were not living in fear of these knackers they would have already pointed them out in a courtroom and theres a good chance one or more of these guys would be serving a jail term. after all i dont think a judge would look very kindly on a fully grown knack beating up a young boy, even if the gards seem to think its ok.
    and by the way, being a petit young girl is probably to your advantage when walking through the "roughest" part of the town....
    ...males are usually seen to be more legitamit targets.
    Yes it was an isolated incident by a family not even from the town. What you heard on hte show is that violence and violent incidences are common enough in Tipp town. People saying its the same family are misinformed. They are in fact relations of the same family. In fairness I can see how people, especially older people who don't have to deal with these people could mix up one crowd of travellers with another. No-one from Tipp was arrested that day in conjunction with the attacks, it was all out-of-towners. However people were arrested, from the town, in conjunction with drugs, this only happened yesterday morning early after Gardai reviewed CCTV footage.
    whatisayis wrote: »
    The difference in Ireland is that we only have a population of 4 million (ish). The vast majority of these people are not violent thugs. At present there are about 4000 incarcerated. If there was room for another 4000 I would reckon you would safely clear the streets of the scumbags. Unfortunately, there will always be young fellas who get very drunk at the weekend and start a stupid fight but these are not the same as those who repeatedly attack people. If the three strikes and you get 25 years rule (I think that is still the way it is in the U.S?) applied in Ireland I think eventually it would sink in to the aspiring criminals that maybe there is more to life than crime. If it doesn't, so be it - throw away the key.
    This is a key point. Tipp has it's share of violence but the vast vast majority of this is when drunk after the nightclub, usually on a Friday night but also on a Saturday. Sure there are a few who go out to cause fights, but these troublemaking scum are in every town.

Its not fair to say that the level of violence in Tipp is horrific based on one day of attacks and other peoples horror stories of violence. How many of you can honestly say that no-one has ever been beaten up after a disco in your hometown??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Dillinger3000

@ mahamageehad.... it is understandable that you would want to defend your home town because it is in this way that places like limerick get their notorious reputation, but in fairness, everytime joe duffy introduced a caller claiming to have been beaten by these guys he pointed out that they had given him the same name as everyone else and warned them not to mention that name.

waterford city is no better (where im from) theres always trouble, and carlow town(where i live now) can be rough aswell... so no need to go on the defensive. no one is bashing tipp town, or at least i'm not bashing tipp town... most people will know that the vast vast majority are fine decent people.
    but there must have been 20 instances over the past few days on liveline where people will not follow through with the court process because of the intimidation (and probably lack of faith in the system), and this is obviously exaserbated by the small size and population of tipp town

Couldn't have said it better myself! Concurrent sentencing is an absolute JOKE. Especially in the case of violent assault, murder and rape. In fact very few crimes should be allowed the use of concurrent sentencing, you are being locked up for a reason!!

unfortantly the supreme court can overturn the convictions,like a judge,in a recent sexual crime case said he would give a life sentence but he was reluctant because he was afraid that the conviction would be overturned in the last life sentence he gave for sexual crime

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

CLADA wrote: »
    In a case like this the DPP decides what the defendant is charged with not the Gardai.
    The charge was robbery because there was force and violence used while taking the cans, this charge covers the theft and the assault.

I think you forgot the charge of Impersonating a Garda??
    Is it or not an offence also???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Fred83 wrote: »
    we need more judges like the infamous Judge John Neilan,he speaks his mind

+1, takes no ****, but is fair if needs be. a judge like him in every district would be a step in the right direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 A. Carruthers

mmm quite the pickle indeed. you give the gardai more power and protection under the constitution and it can be seen as undemocratic or jeopardising citizen's rights. It also opens up questions of trust, whether we can trust the law and the gardai to protect us and use their increased power for just purposes. Some high profile events recently have made us doubt this, e.g the donegal fiasco, the ex-garda recently sentenced for child porn, the McCarthy shooting etc...

On the other hand, there is a growing number of scum on our streets acting with impunity, flouting the law openly and getting away with it.

Personally I wouldnt mind seeing some Charlie Bronson-style Deathwish **** by the gardai acting more covertly in specialised armed units. It would offer a more direct way to take on the gangs and also give the country a bit more pride in its police force cause at the moment it just seems a bit impotent.

another example of lawless ireland-source breaking news.ie
    Youth who attacked man and escaped from garda to be sentenced next week
    27/03/2009 - 14:15:03

A youth who viciously punched and kicked a man and then escaped from a garda and continued to beat him will be sentenced next week at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court.

Andrew O'Keefe (aged 20) of Drumcliffe Road, Cabra West pleaded guilty to assault causing harm to Mr Joseph Kavanagh on August 26, 2007.

Garda Declan Grant told prosecuting counsel, Mr Bernard Condon BL, that he witnessed O'Keefe and a group of youths chase Mr Kavanagh from a party on Fassaugh Avenue in Cabra.

They surrounded him and beat him to the ground where they continued to kick and punch him. Garda Grant intervened and tried to pull the attackers away. He grabbed O'Keefe and restrained him as the victim got up and sprinted away.

O'Keefe broke free from the garda's grip and, along with another person, chased after Mr Kavanagh. Garda Grant pursued them and witnessed them again beating the victim, "kicking him as hard as they possibly could to the head".

When they saw gardaí approaching, the attackers fled and O'Keefe was arrested a month later. The victim was taken to hospital suffering from broken teeth and facial bones. He had severe bruising and had to have his jaw wired for a period.

O'Keefe made no admissions in interview and refused to tell gardaí the reason for the attack. Mr Kavanagh said he didn't know why they had beat him.

Garda Grant said O'Keefe has 25 previous convictions for offences such as theft and breaches of public order.

Defence counsel, Mr Damien Colgan BL, said his client suffered from ADHD and had a serious alcohol problem. He said he expressed remorse and wished to apologise for the assault.

Judge Frank O'Donnell said he wanted time to read the reports handed in on O'Keefe's behalf and put the matter back to next week.

• Advertisement

+1, takes no ****, but is fair if needs be. a judge like him in every district would be a step in the right direction.

funny story about him,the health and work authority procescuted a petrol station before for allowing 16 year olds to work late,the case was brought before him,he gave the authority a lash,saying "what do you want the 16 year olds to do,stand on street corners and sell drugs,dont bother working?",he threw out the case and thanked the petrol station owner,which in all fairness did pay the staff well.

Advertisement