Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the meaning "BSc(Hons) 1.1 degree" in Ireland

Options
  • 21-03-2009 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi everyone,
    I know exact meaning of 1.1 degree. I just what to know what kind of benefits a graduate can take from it. Better job opportunities? or just better chance to get into master study of high reputation Universities.

Are the employers really care of the degrees?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

It just means that you got the highest grade possible in your degree. It shows potential employers that you were diligent in your studies and that you understood the course that you took thoroughly. As for entry into masters degree programs, you generally don't need a 1.1. A 2.1 will usually suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

When I was in university (UCC) there was no such thing as a 1.1 degree. There were first class honours. Second class honours were subdivided into 2.1 and 2.2.

Some employers will use degree grades to filter applicants, while other won't. If you're thinking of postgraduate work, then the quality of your degree will matter hugely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

dudara wrote: »
    When I was in university (UCC) there was no such thing as a 1.1 degree. There were first class honours. Second class honours were subdivided into 2.1 and 2.2.

Some employers will use degree grades to filter applicants, while other won't. If you're thinking of postgraduate work, then the quality of your degree will matter hugely.

A 1.1 is a first class hons degree, there is no 1.2...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

testicle wrote: »
    A 1.1 is a first class hons degree, there is no 1.2...

AS I thought, so why bother using 1.1? I've always said 1st Class Honours my CV.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 blukee

waraf wrote: »
    It just means that you got the highest grade possible in your degree. It shows potential employers that you were diligent in your studies and that you understood the course that you took thoroughly. As for entry into masters degree programs, you generally don't need a 1.1. A 2.1 will usually suffice.
    dudara wrote: »

Thanks everyone. Study hard always seems good for future career, and hopefully, it really can make life easier in the recession.

good luck guys.;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement