Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever bought dry TVP from the health food store?

Options
  • 21-03-2009 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭

I saw it there today, in pieces and mince form, but wouldn't be sure what to do with it. Is it similar to the freezer mince type stuff? Can you just lob it in a sauce or perhaps fry in oil only?

What, if you buy it, do you do with it? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

I only ever use the mince form. You have to rehydrate it first, so what I do is soak it in a bit of boiling water until it seems to be softish (only takes a few minutes. If you use cold water it takes much longer but I haven't tried it). After that drain and use it as you would normal mince. Works well with sauces, like for spaghetti bolognese and things like that. My family (non vegetarians) really like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

oh cool :) might try it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Parnassia

I only ever use the mince form. You have to rehydrate it first, so what I do is soak it in a bit of boiling water until it seems to be softish (only takes a few minutes. If you use cold water it takes much longer but I haven't tried it). After that drain and use it as you would normal mince. Works well with sauces, like for spaghetti bolognese and things like that. My family (non vegetarians) really like it.

I just chuck it straight into the sauce, it soaks up the sauce and rehydrates at the same time, just make sure to cook it for a while!

I have a bag of the chunks sitting in the press but haven't gotten around to using them yet - I'd say they'd need to be soaked beforehand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Orby

Personally, I don't recommend the dried tvp mince or chunks. I find they have a really weird taste even after they have been marinated or put in a sauce even a curry..There is one brand that do a nice frozen vegan mince - it's not the Fry's one. I will try post again when I can think of the name. It also comes in a green bag I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭monellia

I got TVP "chunks" from my local health store. I found it quite bland... It's supposed to take on the flavour of whatever you soak it in. I soaked it in water and stock for about 15 minutes and it still tasted like nothing. Maybe I wasn't doing it right. I still have over half a bag of it left since I switched to a high raw diet... anyone want it? Lol.

I'd recommend it as one of the better substitutes for meat, anyway. It's much healthier than Quorn, which is full of unnatural ingredients and not suitable for vegans. You can buy flavour-enriched TVP, but these products tend to be overly processed so you're better off to opt for the bland version.

• Advertisement

i suppose that although the chunks might be difficult to flavour, at least they would help bulk out a meal. I might try them this weekend...

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

I've never tried the chunks but eat the mince type tvp quite a bit.Its good(but no where near good as lentils)in a veggie sheperd pie.I normally just use bouillon or gravy granuals in it. Its lovely in a lasagne too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

I saw it there today, in pieces and mince form, but wouldn't be sure what to do with it. Is it similar to the freezer mince type stuff? Can you just lob it in a sauce or perhaps fry in oil only?

What, if you buy it, do you do with it? :)

God i wouldn't go near that stuff, I'm still traumatised from back in the day when my mum used to buy the stuff twenty kilos at a go from munster wholefoods! It's f*uckin horrible! Quorn now thats the good stuff. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

monellia wrote: »
    It's much healthier than Quorn, which is full of unnatural ingredients ....
    Do go on... (and with sources too if possible)

I did try the chunks eventually. Soaked them in vecon, soya sauce and hot water then fried them in a stir fry (after straining). Wasn't too exciting. Added paprika before cooking another day and that was tastier.

Any more hints anyone? Might try adding them straight to a sauce next time, instead of soaking...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

I haven't tried it yet. Maybe if you soak them in a more concentrated liquid instead of water & whatever flavour you choose?

Advertisement