Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pork Sausages in Oz

Options
  • 21-03-2009 3:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

Has anyone found a butcher or something that sells Irish sausages?

I found a bloke in Dandenong that sells what he calls 'Irish Sausages' but they tasted like muck.

Anyone found the real deal?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭The BOFH

Coles do pork sausages, they're ok, nothing like Superquinn's though :( Beef sausages are ****e! I'd love to get my hands on some decent black pudding too. I was home last year for the first time in 9 years & couldn't believe how much better the beef & dairy was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭lady_j

One of the butchers in the victoria market in Melbourne sold them, pretty decent. My friend got them at the markets at Sydney, but not sure of the name

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thalia_13

Aldi on Inkermann street, St Kilda does pork sausages which I found after months of trying out manky ones!! they are as close to home ones you can get with no gristly bits!! cheap too!!!! i assume all Aldis do them!!! good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

The BOFH wrote: »
    Coles do pork sausages, they're ok, nothing like Superquinn's though :( Beef sausages are ****e! I'd love to get my hands on some decent black pudding too. I was home last year for the first time in 9 years & couldn't believe how much better the beef & dairy was.

Thats really weird, because I find Irish meat and dairy like muck compared to back home.
    I think its what you are brought up on that sets your tastes.

If you want traditional irish sausages, just buy normal pork sausages from a butcher and fill them full of salt. Voila.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

You have a point young Jumpy.

Its like the perennial debate about which is nicer ... Marmite or Vegemite.

Both are just laden with yeast and salt and much of a muchness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

David Jones food court in CBD sydney have decent pork sausages and both white and black pudding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Sammag

The BOFH wrote: »
    Coles do pork sausages, they're ok, nothing like Superquinn's though

Dear God, you're kidding right? Coles pork sausages have got to be the worst *Bleuuurrrgh* Safeway do small pork 'chipolatas' which are, in my opinion, the best (speaking very generously there) of a seriously bad bunch of pork sausages from the mainstream Oz supermarkets.

'Paddy's Irish butchers' in Kew is well known as being good on the authentic Irish snag front, but I found them not all that flash...
    Some are OK from the Prahran market, but best ones so far are from a butcher in Mt. Martha (approx. 15 mins south from Mornington down the coast - aka about an hour's drive south from CBD).
    The sausages from this place are, in true Aussie style *puts on thick, shrill Dub accent* "only massive!!" (in size) in comparison to the 'regular' Irish sausage, but the taste and similarity to ones back home, is the best I have found.

Sincerely
    Sammag aka 'Irish Sausage expert in Oz'.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭paxo

There is an Irish butcher in Brisbane who does very nice pork sausages, black and white pudding and very good rashers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

Sammag wrote: »
    best ones so far are from a butcher in Mt. Martha .

Im only 1/2 an hour from mt martha. whats the name of the butcher?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Yeah you will never get a decent sausage in an Aussie fry in a cafe but if you want some some for a bangers and mash deal they packaged pork sausages in safeway do the job just fine. imho

• Advertisement

Maccattack wrote: »
    Im only 1/2 an hour from mt martha. whats the name of the butcher?

It's the one at the Mt. Martha Village Shops at Lochiel Ave, I'm pretty sure the shop is called 'Bell's Gourmet Meats', it's down from the IGA.
    If you go down at the weekend, check first for their opening hours, I know on a Sunday they're only open until 1pm.
    I think they're just their regular pork sausages, they may be classed as; 'English Pork Sausages'.
    I had them at Christmas and they were pretty darn good. It's an excellent butcher, my in-laws live in the area so I buy a lot of meat from them if I'm down cooking dinners etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

paxo wrote: »
    There is an Irish butcher in Brisbane who does very nice pork sausages, black and white pudding and very good rashers

where is this place please ??

cheers

where is this place please ??

cheers

pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

pm sent

Is it a secret?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Pjordanoz

When in Rome... Learn to enjoy the beef sausages, makes life much easier. Stop expecting sausages to taste like ireland or the uk and start expecting them to be beefy. All butchers will do pork snags if you really need them, but the pigs obviously eat something different so won't taste the same, just accept it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cupthehand

pm sent

Any chance I could find out please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Flairpinnedme

beef sausages are soooo much better anyway

You need your head read... Or I am assuming you like salty brown gunk/poo on your toast in the mornings too?

Not when theyre going into a coddle they aint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭pucan

• Advertisement

Maccattack wrote: »
    Not when theyre going into a coddle they aint.
    Now here is someone who knows what they are on about.

Respect.

Is it a secret?:confused:

Yeah I'm worried about protecting my source

Paxo

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

Yeah I'm worried about protecting my source

Paxo
    Right I would've thought sending him more business would be a good way to do that...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

For those in the Southern Eastern region of Melbourne there is a meat market in Karingal which is located on the Frankston Cranbourne road (next to the shopping centre/before Mitre 10). They sell Irish Sausages which are not too bad. More of a BBQ sausage thought tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I went to Aldi and they had italian style pork sausages in their premium range

have to say they were pretty tasty, nothing compared to Irish ... but with 75% pork was very nice

http://www.tasteireland.com.au/home/irish_meats#shop

Just found out they are shipping their "Irish" sausages and pudding to metro Syd, Mel and Bris now - formerly only Syd.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Yeah Sammag

Found these on http://www.tasteireland.com.au

* Traditional Irish Pork Sausages (Sydney, Brisbane & Melbourne Metro Only)

Traditional Irish Style Pork Sausages. The essence of every fry up! Ideal for the perfect Irish breakfast. Comes in packs of 8.

Must be home to receive goods or delivered to place of work, dispatch to Melbourne & Brisbane on Mondays, Tuesdays & Wednesdays only. Do not refreeze, consume within 3 days.

* Size: 450g
    * Cost: $8.35

I picked up a sausage from Bobs in Dandenong to try yesterday. He said these were the closest he could make to Dennys. They are called 'Walls' and arent too bad.

Not as nice as Dennys, more like what youd get from a butcher in Dublin.

Pretty good actually.

Ozeire wrote: »
    Yeah Sammag

Found these on http://www.tasteireland.com.au

* Traditional Irish Pork Sausages (Sydney, Brisbane & Melbourne Metro Only)

Traditional Irish Style Pork Sausages. The essence of every fry up! Ideal for the perfect Irish breakfast. Comes in packs of 8.

Must be home to receive goods or delivered to place of work, dispatch to Melbourne & Brisbane on Mondays, Tuesdays & Wednesdays only. Do not refreeze, consume within 3 days.

* Size: 450g
    * Cost: $8.35

I went to order some after I posted that above bit last night but found out there's a minimum order of $40 :mad:

• Advertisement

Sammag wrote: »
    I went to order some after I posted that above bit last night but found out there's a minimum order of $40 :mad:
    And only three days to consume it. Unless of course you had a knees up Irish style with a night of good food and drinks followed by Eastenders and a good Irish fry up in the morning.

*Hint Hint*

:p

Advertisement