Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Trying to join Automobile Association, running out of time

Options
  • 21-03-2009 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

I'm leaving for a UK holiday in about 24 hours, and it seemed a good time to join the AA.
    I tried repeatedly yesterday (Friday) to join online (through both Firefox & Internet Explorer), but every time got 'There was an error processing your details', when trying to submit my bank details.
    I tried to ring their 'membership help' number, to find out if I could join by phone, but by that time it was 5pm and I just got a recorded 'after hours' message (same today); nothing about when they're ringable (or on the website either). I'll be on the UK mainland by the time offices open on Monday. I tried the website again today, but no difference (except they now have a good discount offer for joining this weekend!).

Anyone else had problems with their website recently?

I've seen 'Join the AA' kiosks at ferry terminals (in Ireland and/or the UK). I'm sailing from the Belfast one tomorrow evening, but I don't know if there's a kiosk there, or when they're open (nothing about those on the AA website either). I also don't know if, as a republic resident, I could join from one in Belfast, or if I could pay by cash, or locally bought postal order (on a Sunday). (They won't accept credit card payment from me, because I'm not the main cardholder, and my debit card wouldn't work from the UK, even though it's a cross-border bank:mad:).

The only other numbers I can find for the AA are the Irish & UK emergency ones I was given on the phone earlier on Friday when I first enquired about joining (because there's no time to get the card through the post, but membership would still start 24 hours after joining). But I'd guess you couldn't talk to the emergency numbers without a membership number.

Has anyone experienced similar AA palavers, or know anything about the kiosks, or know any other phone numbers I could try?

Meanwhile, I'll try the ferry company's website, in case of details about AA kiosks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Have just tried the AA website again, in the hope of at least joining before the return drive, but it still has problems processing my details. I can only assume the website's broken - anyone have any experiences of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

There's nothing wrong with their website - do you honestly believe a massive company like the AA would have a broken website for over a week? The problem is at your end, clearly. Have you even tried using another browser?

Ring them tomorrow and sign up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Try clearing your cache,sometimes online ordering and banking won't work if they use a cookie,I'm not sure why the problem happens but it has with me a couple of times.

Thanks dubtom (sorry about delay - I only just checked this thread for the 1st time since getting home). I'd been trying from a relative's computer in London last time I posted, and got exactly the same error message from the AA site as at home here in Ireland. But I'll try your suggestions anyway.

Yes EthO, thanks but the error was the same from that other computer, and I did try another browser (Internet Explorer instead of Firefox). It's the first thing I do when having trouble with a website (I've also encountered some that work with Firefox but not IE).
    Large companies aren't immune to website faults in my experience. In some cases they're not aware of them until a user tells them, which is why I was asking if it was just me (what with the AA site not having any feedback facility).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

TBH you might as well of kept the money and gone to the pub, the AA are a waste of space, once left on the side of the Dublin - Belfast road to be told someone would be with us in 4-5 hours. Nuff said.

MC

• Advertisement

You might be right Munster, but it was a warning about the UK that convinced me to join. I go there about twice a year, and this time I was driving to places scattered around there for 2 weeks or so. Our motor mechanic, who has lots of contacts in both countries (and no axe to grind), urged me to join the AA first, as breakdowns while in the UK have cost some people thousands. I don't lack resistance to ripoff-merchants but, as a woman driving alone, with a breakdown the safe options would be limited.

My car was as good as gold throughout, as it happened, but I still want to join before the net UK drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

TBH you might as well of kept the money and gone to the pub, the AA are a waste of space, once left on the side of the Dublin - Belfast road to be told someone would be with us in 4-5 hours. Nuff said.

MC

so true. if you are a man they will easily keep you waiting for 3 or 4 hours. My wife was in car once when it broke down and she rang the AA and said she was on her own, they were out within 45 minutes!

I got a phone call from the AA today asking if I would be interested in joining up....I said no!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Well I should of qualified that by saying AA Ireland, the UK version is still what it used to be I think.

MC

Yes, people I know in the UK think the AA there is still worthwhile (even without the old-time salute on the road!)
    It was noticable as a Brit moving to Ireland that consumers (and people on the ground running shops etc) have less power and choice here. UK consumers also seem more insistent about rights (or should that be bloody-minded?)

I seem to remember Irish AA membership covers both countries (maybe it's an extension of the UK organisation?)

Interesting about gender/response times. Would you recommend a Marilyn Monroe type voice, or a top-executive one, or playing the Little Old Lady card perhaps?

Advertisement