Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Move XP partition to another hard drive?

• 21-03-2009 4:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭

My brother got a new 500GB HD for his Dell laptop and I was wondering if I copied the XP partition from his old 80GB HD to the new one would it boot?
    I have Acronis Disk Director and I think that could do it with the help of my external USB drive?

I have my doubts... it would probably break the XP install, right? :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

You need Acronis True Image (My Favourite), Norton ghost or some similar imaging software.

Take the image from the source harddrive to the external and then restore from the external to the destination :)

Here is the Trial version of Acronis (Home edition - but should do the job for what you require):
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/download/trueimage/

HTH,

iRock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Looks like Migrate Easy is the one to use, I thought Disk Director had all that stuff but they obviously changed their product line around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I upgraded my 40G HDD to 120G on laptop using Partition Magic. I used adaptors to add both drives to an existing laptop.

Most of the MS Office applications wanted to "see" Install CD on first run. Everything else perfect. I resized all the partitions too.

Make sure the drive letter for Windows Partition remains the same.

Keep the old drive safe as a backup for a while.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

one word of warning windows boot sector contains the number of sectors from the start of the drive. If the old partition is at the start of the drive and you put it at the start of the new drive that's ok. If the program can modify tis value that too is OK. But if you find the cloned drive just sits at a black screen then you can probably use an NT boot disk till you get it sorted.

Advertisement