Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon IXUS 980 IS

• 21-03-2009 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Anyone got the Canon IXUS 980 IS?
    Any good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 PC - Dublin

or the Ixus 100 IS ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,158 ✭✭✭dinneenp

look at CAmeralabs website. They have a best buy section but also look for detailed review of mentioned cameras & video review section

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭thedarkroom

I have the 860is and I'm very happy with it. It has the wider angle lens (equiv to 28mm on 35mm camera) I've been using this iXus range for a good few years now and always have it in my pocket every where I go, wouldn't be without it. Quality is excellent as far as small cameras go but wouldn't replace an SLR. It's not much bigger than a cigarette box so you have to expect a compromise. It has a good level of manual control over the settings, which makes it a very flexible camera for someone who is used to manual controls on an SLR and the close up is very good.
    Gripes? - my main one would be the amount of barrel distortion on the lens, which can be quite noticable if there are any straight line along the edges of the frame. Other than that, I'm very happy with it. I'm on my third now, I updated last november and the camera has been superseded since then (the 870is, I think) but I don't know what has been changed apart from the an increase in the number of pixels. With the current model I have, I had to replace it because when I bought it the camera wouldn't focus properly at it's wider angle setting. I brought it back to the shop with the samples I had taken and they replaced it immediately, no quibble. Brought it on holidays with me to New York and I'm very happy with the results, the wider angle lens was great for it.

Check out http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon if you haven't already as it is quite good in it's appraisals of cameras available and usually gives good comprehensive reviews of all cameras.

What has influenced you to consider this camera? The reason I ask is that I would look at its predecessor and compare them and if the only difference is the pixel count then I would consider the earlier version because at 12.1m pixels for this model, this is more than is necessary for the size of print you are going to be able to get form a pocket camera of this size. I wouldn't see any point going beyond 9 to 10m pixels in a small capsule size camera because it's unlikely that you are not going to print any bigger than 12x10 inch prints. This size print would require a 7.5m pixel camera to print this size at 250dpi and most likely you will only print this size occasionally and the vaste majority of you prints will be 6x4.
    You will see the price of the preceding model dropping considerably now that it has been updated and there will be bargains to be had if you search around online.

Thank you for your replies. It may (and does) sound silly but I still hanker for the black colour for a compact camera. I used to have a black Olympus mju film camera, which I loved til I bought a Canon Powershot A70 in 2003. Since then I moved up to the Canon EOS 350D, which is a fabulous camera. I want a compact camera which will complement the DSLR.

I note your comments about going for the previous model, pricewise and pixel wise...... the jury is out !!!!

I know what you mean about the black compact. Over the years I had several Olympus. My first was the XA with the A16 flash, bought in London in 1979 or 80 for £95 at the time, a small fortune but worth every penny. I still have it locked away safely in it's presentation case but unfortunately don't have the A16 anymore as I broke it and had to replace it with the A11. I then got the Mju and then the Mju Zoom, two more fine cameras, true pocket cameras.
    Since going digital I have preferred the Canon and have the iXus and the G10 (back to the black) and would recommend both. Good luck with your choice, you won't be disappointed!

• Advertisement

Well, I went and bought the IXUS 980IS and am delighted with it.

:)

Well, I went and bought the IXUS 980IS and am delighted with it.

:)

You won't be disappointed

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭spav

Bit late on this, but I have the 900ti and it's a terrific little compact.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I had two canon ixus camera's and I love them - really fantastic, apart from one thing.
    Their performance in low light was terrible. Hopefully this has changed in the new ones but Iw as unhappy with it. Not so bad taking photos of people up close with the flash (although sometimes it was too bright) but anything else and it was hopeless. Even what i considered crappy cameras belonging to freinds could take way better ones.

Maybe with a high ISO and face recognition etc its better now, at least I hope so - is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭spav

Zascar wrote: »
    I had two canon ixus camera's and I love them - really fantastic, apart from one thing.
    Their performance in low light was terrible. Hopefully this has changed in the new ones but Iw as unhappy with it. Not so bad taking photos of people up close with the flash (although sometimes it was too bright) but anything else and it was hopeless. Even what i considered crappy cameras belonging to freinds could take way better ones.

Maybe with a high ISO and face recognition etc its better now, at least I hope so - is it?

I've had an Ixus 480 and my current 900ti, and the newer one is a load better at low light providing you keep it steady. I took this with it without flash, for example.
    2489676222_70b9c672f2.jpg
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/clickyfish/2489676222/in/set-72157607196712285/

Quite a bit of noise going on there, but it's not bad at all for a compact imo. Mind, I dunno what it's like compared to other digital compacts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement