Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiling a Bathroom ceiling? Damp Issue

Options
  • 21-03-2009 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Hi folks, I've done a search but can't find what I'm after.
    I'm useful (ish!) at DIY but this is a job for a professional I feel.
    Anyway, some time last year, I noticed the start of some mould in one corner
    of my bathroom roof, over the bath/shower area. Unfortunately, my bathroom
    doesn't have a window (terraced house) but just the bog standard expelair in the roof (which isn't much use). Anyway, alot of condensation forms on the roof after showers in the morning time. As a result, mould started to show from damp, I assume.
    Anyway, I striped the paint from the ceiling and painted it again with some "bathroom" type paint that I got (supposedly to resist reaction to condensation). Anyway, the mould is back and the thoughts of stripping again and re-painting....well, no thanks.

Anyway, I'm wondering - can a ceiling be tiled? There are existing tiles on one wall and a portion of another wall (in line with the bath area). The rest of the walls are just painted.
    Therefore, I'm wondering if the roof can be tiled so as to avoid this scenario? If so, would the section where the damp/mould appears need to be replaced and then tiled over?

Thanks in advance guys and for anyone in the tiling field, any input would be great.
    Thanks a mill

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

You could tile the ceiling with expanded polystyrene tiles easily enough but you'd need to cure the damp problem first.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

You already have an expel air unit... ...so why don't you upgrade to a unit that works correctly? At least you don't have to create new vents... - sounds like a simple solution to me.

Unless you are Phillipe Starke I'd stay away from tiling the ceiling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Yeah your fan is the problem. It obviously isn't shifting enough air for long enough!
    They are reasonably inexpensive and this will solve your problem.
    Check the rating on the fan and the overrun time, it may be selectable depending on the fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

ART6 wrote: »
    You could tile the ceiling with expanded polystyrene tiles easily enough but you'd need to cure the damp problem first.

Are these not banned for fire reasons?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭builditwell

I would not tile the ceiling as the air will condense quicker as the surface will be colder and thus freezing drips onto you in the shower. Upgrade the extractor fan to a vortice (e) not exactly sure of model but a good electrical supplier will advise you of this.

I also am nearly sure that expanded polystyrene tiles have been banned for fire hazzard reasons. They are extremely flammable and when lit give off a gas more toxic than most sofas. They also drip melted plastic showering the poor unfortunate person underneath them.icon4.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭shabbyalonso

Thanks for the input guys - never even thought about upgrading the expel air unit. I shall look into this. Is this something that you could do yourself or would I be as well to get someone in to do it?

The unit current installed switches on when the light-switch is turned on. I continues on for approx 30-40 seconds after the light switch is turned off, and then the "fan" goes off. The "fan" in the roof itself, is approx 5 inches x 5 inches - not very big or wide. Something bigger and more powerful I guess could be the answer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 scarpetta

Verify that the fan is actually pulling the steam out of the room for you and not just spinning around, and if it is extracting the steam, adjust the run on time to a few minutes.
    If it's not shifting the steam then the vent duct may be blocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,223 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

When you have upgraded the fan,

instead of tiling the season, think about putting up pvc cladding. We have it done at home here, its easy to do, available in most diy stores, and very easy to clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,177 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

4 things I would look at
    1) check the fan/vent. (If they are clogged with dust then they will be noisy and useless) Increase the run time on the fan
    2) Upgrade the fan
    3) add more insulation to the roof space above the bathroom. (the warmer the ceiling the less condensation you will get there)
    4) leave the door wide open when you are done (or while showering if possible)

Advertisement