Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Risk when upgrading PHP & MySQL from 4.x to 5.x?

Options
  • 21-03-2009 5:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭

Hello all

I hope someone can advise me on this:

I currently have the following versions of PHP & MySQL installed on one of my servers:

PHP version 4.4.7
    MySQL version 4.1.22-standard

I would like to upgrade both of these to 5.x.

None of my websites are particularly complex (i.e. they use fairly standard PHP functions) so in theory things should be ok after an upgrade, but can anyone advise me on anything I need to be aware of?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ionix5891

stay away from mysql 5.1 its buggy as hell

as for php upgrade upgrade! and never look back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Thanks for the reply.

I'm assuming I won't have to change any of my PHP scripts (whch all work fine in 4.x) when I upgrade to 5.x?

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.

I'm assuming I won't have to change any of my PHP scripts (whch all work fine in 4.x) when I upgrade to 5.x?

sorry i didn't make myself clear

mysql 5.1.x is buggy
    mysql 5.0.x is great! i run 3 very large sites (50million pageviews/11million visitors a month)

as for php5 you should have any problems i switched many years ago and never looked back

i don't run any 3rd party php software (all custom coded) so of course i cant make guarantees but from what i heard most open source projects got on the ball a while ago and some are only php5 :) (finally)

keep an eye on your php error logs (make sure errors are logged to file not screen!)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Also from what I remember shorthand opening PHP tags "<?" are not enabled by default in PHP5 and better off using the proper ones anyways <?php.

If you do the shorthand echos like <?=$test?> then you may have problems as far as I remember. However all can be sorted by re enabling them in the php.ini.

Other than that, I cannot think of anything else. Some hosts allow you to run in PHP5 CGI mode by placing it in htaccess file so you could always try and test first.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If you have a chance to test your scripts in php5 before you do the actual upgrade it might help

Most of the commonly used / mature CMS work fine, but if you have a bit of old code that relies on a now defunct php4 feature it could break something ...

• Advertisement

blacknight wrote: »
    If you have a chance to test your scripts in php5 before you do the actual upgrade it might help

Most of the commonly used / mature CMS work fine, but if you have a bit of old code that relies on a now defunct php4 feature it could break something ...

hes right

you should have a copy of your production environment in a virtual machine like vmware locally to do tests and trial upgrades

Advertisement