Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basil plant seems to be on the way out - can anyone help?

Options
  • 21-03-2009 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I bought a basil plant a couple of weeks ago with the intentions of making my own pesto. Everything seemed grand for a while but lately brown spots have started appearing on the leaves and the leaves eventually turn completely brown, wither and fall off.

This is happening to about 25% of the leaves but it seems to be increasing.

I know nothing about plants, but I don't think it's due to watering as I've tried increasing and decreasing the amount of water I give the plant, but the leaves continue to wither - of course I could be completely wrong about that.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Basil plants are Annuals, the plant you got was most likely a hot-house plant and growing "out of season".

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Electric

So I don't need to do anything just leave it to grow away as it is?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

those basil plants are usually sold with the intention of being used within a few days of purchase; often, you'll find there are several plants crammed into a tiny pot, too, so they suffer from overcrowding.

There are about 8 stems of plant in the pot, should I separate them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭sofia11

I bought a basil plant in Lidl a few months ago and I transferred it to a bigger pot and it sits on the kitchen window and is still growing and 3 times the size. It seems to need frequent watering and plenty sunlight, I didn't expect it to last this long, it looks like some of them survive anyway. Hope this helps.

• Advertisement

I bought the plant in Tesco, it's sitting on the windowsill and I water it very regularly. The only thing I haven't done is transfer it to a bigger pot so that could be worth trying.

I'm wondering should I remove the half withered leaves or leave them alone?

Advertisement