Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shadow of The Wind

Options
  • 21-03-2009 6:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

I was just wondering has anyone ever read this book?
    It's one of my favourites and would like to hear other people's feedback on it! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

yeah i read it a few years back. i found it very enjoyable, its set in an interesting time, spain during all the political madness. it got recomended on the richard and judy book club then, and all of a sudden people started slating it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Yeah it's a great little book alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭Locamon

Pretty sure this question or similar was posted before so you should be able to dig up other opinions elsewhere. Really enjoyed it, bought it when I was in Barcelona which really added to the atmosphere and managed to visit a few of the places mentioned in the book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 uriko

was in barcelona myself a few yrs back.. n thought it was very reminiscent of the fab time i had ther whilst reading the book.
    apparently ther's a prequel to it.. have to get my hands on that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I really enjoyed it until it got close to the end. I won't say anything specific but I disliked where it went so much that it changed my opinion of the whole book. Which is a shame because I loved 9/10 of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭callmescratch

The follow up, Angel's Game, is out june. I know a couple of fans of Shadow of the Wind who've read it and early reports are that it is easily as good as Shadow of the Wind, possibly better.
    Really must read this, it's been recommended to me so many times

The follow up, Angel's Game, is out june. I know a couple of fans of Shadow of the Wind who've read it and early reports are that it is easily as good as Shadow of the Wind, possibly better.
    Really must read this, it's been recommended to me so many times

So this is not the prequel? Does anyone know the name of the prequel mentioned earlier by uriko

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Really enjoyed this book, especially because it captured the essence and sensation of Barcelona so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

i thought is started off okay because it had an interesting premise but from the mid way point on it was just awful. really poor literature in my opinion. it's dragged out way too long. the characters aren't developed enough and most are annoying. the evil character is pure cliche. the 'mystery' person was predictable. the translation was well dodgy too. it was a horrible reading experience for me.

*********** spoilers ahead ******************

the end was really tacky the way everything was wrapped up in a nice little bow with all the good characters living happily ever after. there is a really stupid and unrealistic plot device for the last 40 pages or so where one of the characters writes a 40 page letter of pure exposition to the protaganist. in fact the whole book reveals its plot through characters explaining everything to the protaganist which is just boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭M007

If you liked it you may also like WINTER IN MADRID similar era being written about

• Advertisement

M007 wrote: »
    If you liked it you may also like WINTER IN MADRID similar era being written about

Enjoyed this as well but Shadow of the Wind was better for me not because it was better written, as people have posted here the language was poor enough in parts and the plot was suspect but it created a superior sense of atmosphere. You could almost cut it with a knife and when I was in the city it just hit a note so much more than Winter in Madrid which was a nice story but just fails to capture the essence of Madrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

I was very disappointed with Winter in Madrid. The marketing (even the colour of the cover) was definitely aiming it at people who enjoyed Shadow of the Wind, but I didn`t enjoy it anywhere as much. I`m really looking forward to the sequel/prequel/whatever. I`ve seen it on sale all over South
    America, but my Spanish isn`t up to scratch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭callmescratch

Locamon wrote: »
    So this is not the prequel? Does anyone know the name of the prequel mentioned earlier by uriko

I don't think Angel's Game is part of a direct sequence. It does make reference to settings/events in Shadow of the Wind tho. Not too sure tho, I'm just trying to remember what i was told :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

I remember really enjoying Shadow of the Wind when I was reading it. The ending was slightly disappointing, but the translation was excellent, and it really captured the atmosphere of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Kind of forget it now but devoured it on a plane home from US.

It's a book lover's book I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Thornography

silvine wrote: »
    It's a book lover's book I think.

Iv read a total of four books in all my 21 years and I tought this book was awesome. I have no love for books at all but id recommend this read to anyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭PonyP

Loved The Shadow of a Wind and am thrilled to hear that there will be a follow up! I read the book when everybody was raving about "The Interpretation of Murder" which I didn't rate highly at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 SassyC

I read it when I was like 11 years old which probably wasn't a great idea since I wasn't mature enough to handle some of the topics so I stopped like half way through and started reading it again about thrre years ago and it was absolutely amazing and it is one of my favourite books and I can't wait for The Angel's Game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

http://www.hughesbooks.com/

Carlos Ruis Zafon is going to be in Dundrum on the 4th of June. I think I may pass by!

Advertisement