Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

so.. whens this strike

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Ni.Chofaigh

does anyone know what the Irish department is doing as regards the strike? I have my Irish Oral that day and the irish dep. isnt exactly good at informing students of important things!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

does anyone know what the Irish department is doing as regards the strike? I have my Irish Oral that day and the irish dep. isnt exactly good at informing students of important things!
    As far as i am aware, they are holding any orals on or after that day, a day later. But I would check that with my teacher if I were you.
    Back to the fees bit, if fees were introduced, then a lot of people may be discouraged from attending college as they dont want to end up with a massive debt.
    If the Governments means tests are as fair as they say, it may not be a problem. Not big up on this issue tbh.
    Oh, and BigCheese, DeRanged does not sound like he is on a horse of any type! He(I'm assumin its a guy) is just stating his opinion, and telling us what has happened to him. There is no need to rip into him, and come up with useless arguments about whether or not students are lazy!(You've been to the common room!)
    Ah yes, of course us students are the ones generalizing, of course!
    Seems like quite a while to me, so out of touch with students you seem to be. Seems like quite a while to me, so out of touch with students you seem to be.
    And you, of all people, really shouldnt speak like yoda.
    Fight the fees and all that though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Aodan83 wrote: »
    Oh, and BigCheese, DeRanged does not sound like he is on a horse of any type! He(I'm assumin its a guy) is just stating his opinion, and telling us what has happened to him. There is no need to rip into him, and come up with useless arguments about whether or not students are lazy!(You've been to the common room!)
    Shut up, if he saw that place he'd go crazy!

And you, of all people, really shouldnt speak like yoda.
    Fight the fees and all that though!!

Just realised there, twas a tad Yoda-ish...apologies :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Shut up, if he saw that place he'd go crazy!

I've not seen it, but I am well aware of it. I think it's an excellent resource.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭johnny-fatality

deisedude wrote: »
    lecturers are well off enough to cope with a pay cut in all fairness.

careful now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Link? :rolleyes:

Ah yes, of course us students are the ones generalizing, of course! I'd suggest sir you get off boards and talk to students nowadays, as you seem to have a very skewed image of them. How many years have you been graduated? Seems like quite a while to me, so out of touch with students you seem to be.

I agree with DeRanged.Attendance is shocking.As a person who turns up to the vast majority of his lectures, I know that attendance in my lecture is shocking, and Commerce have labs in the ORB labs, and their attendance is shocking too.10 people turning up etc.

If fees are brought back in, numbers attending college may drop, but I'd say numbers attending classes will stay the same or rise

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭captainspeckle

deRanged wrote: »
    well who should pay then? someone has to. if not those receiving the education then who?

In case you havent noticed the majority of students are BROKE. not all of us students dip into the bank of mummy and daddy at every ocassion, so how do you manage we pay the €30,000 + for our fees. i know there is a huge amount of students who are here for experience and not bothered about their education, buts its not exactly fair to the majority who work ridiculously hard to get through their course to be generalised in such a way. i know of people who have loans out already to pay for college costs, and thats without the re-introduction of fees!!!! tbh, once you are qualified its tough enough to make ends meet beteween houses, bills, cars, families etc. if I for one get landed with fees i wont be contributing much to the econmy for years after i graduate because i will be swamped with debt! our economy will still feel the effects if thats the case.

students as far as i know arent sole reason our economy is is such a state, so i dont see why we should be the ones who have to pay such a huge proportion of money for our government and bankers incompencies.

robbing peter to pay paul!

rant over.

grr....

so how do you manage we pay the €30,000 + for our fees.

that's an interesting question. I'm not sure how fees should be managed.
    There are so many options for fees - interest free loans, a special type of prsi for graduates, the size of the fees themselves and much more.
    It could be that the fees would be relatively small - maybe a couple of thousand per year. I don't think we're looking at ten thousand plus per year like the foreign students pay to come here.

I really think that the blanket "no fees ever" approach will not work.
    students as far as i know arent sole reason our economy is is such a state, so i dont see why we should be the ones who have to pay such a huge proportion of money for our government and bankers incompencies.
    no, but maybe students need to contribute to their education.
    robbing peter to pay paul!
    or taxing peter for paul's "free" education, where I'm saying
    make peter contribute to the costs of his education.

titan18 wrote: »
    Commerce have labs in the ORB labs, and their attendance is shocking too.10 people turning up etc.

Excuse me, I'm in Commerce and there is certainly not only 10 going to tutorials. I have to drag myself to them tho, coz of those useless tutors grrr.

Is there anything you agree with me Craig or dya just disagree with me for the sake of it??! I'm genuinly interested*

* May or may not be genuinly interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭fredmc

Excuse me, I'm in Commerce and there is certainly not only 10 going to tutorials. I have to drag myself to them tho, coz of those useless tutors grrr.

In 2nd Comm we have a 9.00 IS tutorial that has about 10 people in it, but we can go to two others that are normally quite full. I fully agree about the tutors.

OT-I'm in the same boat as square_igloo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Johnnyjump

If it goes ahaed it's Monday 30th. There are developments in the media today with IMPACT failing to secure 66% needed for strike action. There are further developments due in the next 24 hours, I'd say, so we had better not write off next Monday yet! Watch this space (and the news, of course)

Johnnyjump wrote: »
    If it goes ahaed it's Monday 30th. There are developments in the media today with IMPACT failing to secure 66% needed for strike action. There are further developments due in the next 24 hours, I'd say, so we had better not write off next Monday yet! Watch this space (and the news, of course)

The developments with IMPACT have nothing to do with the shutdown going ahead (btw 65% of IMPACT members voted to strike). The shutdown is definitely going ahead, as the SU is mandated to do it by the recent referendum, for good or bad.

Unless one of those 'further developments' mentioned is a new referendum by the SU with the majority voting no, then the shutdown is quite definitely going ahead :rolleyes:

Is there anything you agree with me Craig or dya just disagree with me for the sake of it??! I'm genuinly interested*

* May or may not be genuinly interested.

No, I'm serious, I'm always in yer labs, never see you in there for tutorials, maybe you do when I'm in class.But Thursday's at 10, fridays at 1, there is noone in there.10-15 max.It was packed at the start of the year too, so its not just small tutorials

No, I'm serious, I'm always in yer labs, never see you in there for tutorials, maybe you do when I'm in class.But Thursday's at 10, fridays at 1, there is noone in there.10-15 max.It was packed at the start of the year too, so its not just small tutorials

Nah I have (had now coz my last one was today) mine on Mondays at 11. Don't put us Frenchies in with the straight Com! :eek:

Nah I have (had now coz my last one was today) mine on Mondays at 11. Don't put us Frenchies in with the straight Com! :eek:

I cant actually say anything about your class then.But in BIS and in Commerce, attendance is poor.We get abut 20% for some classes

I cant actually say anything about your class then.But in BIS and in Commerce, attendance is poor.We get abut 20% for some classes

Fair enough. But I don't get why your for fees coz if they're reintroduced, you'l prob have to pay them?

Fair enough. But I don't get why your for fees coz if they're reintroduced, you'l prob have to pay them?

Probably, but its a joke as it is anyway.I also think current students wont pay for them

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭captainspeckle

It could be that the fees would be relatively small - maybe a couple of thousand per year. I don't think we're looking at ten thousand plus per year like the foreign students pay to come here.

there is a lot more costs than just fees. "relatively small fees" of a few thousand is a whole pile of money to someone who has to survive on working 8/10 hours at weekends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭yerayeah

So the library will be closed??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

I don't see the actual point of this strike. A day of action by the students? What do the government care if students attend lectures or not? Its not like it has any impact on the tax revenue for that day. Furthermore if the students decide not to attend lectures for the day then it just reinforces the idea that why should fees be free if students are not bothered attending lectures.

I fully endorse the idea of fees being reintroduced and I am student that would have to pay these fees. Currently Ireland's third level education system pales in comparison to other European countries and to the States. A major reason for this is the funding made available. If UCC is to maintain an international standard it needs a larger resource pool, this can only be achieved by reintroducing fees and increasing government funding. At the current rate of things and with impending budget cuts, getting a degree in UCC and not paying any fees would only deliver a piece of paper that would be relatively worthless in the eyes of our international counterparts.

The spin that the SU are putting on the fees debacle is horrendous. They have not been prepared to discuss any alternative arrangement and instead are vehemently against introduction of fees of any sort. They see third-level education as a human right, but I alway was under the assumption that third-level education is a priveledge.
    It is my belief that fees should come back but there should be made wide availability of low-interest loans and an increase in the number of scholarships to those who are gifted in the summer examinations. Those dedicated to pursuing an active role in furthering their education would not be deterred by the inconvenience of accruing a loan over the 4 years, however those who go to college merely to delay entering the working world at low skill jobs would be deterred by the cost involved.
    I have worked part-time jobs where my co-workers have completed 4-year degrees in Commerce, Arts and numerous other subjects. They have entered jobs that have not required the use of anything beyond what they knew from the Leaving Cert. Why should the nations tax payers contribute to funding these people who will contribute nothing more to society than if they had left the education system at 18?
    Its about time that attending University stops becoming a passage to adulthood, because you are an adult at 18. Introducing fees can seek to rectify the situation so that those who are determined to succeed will be rewarded by receiving an education at a well funded university whilst those who are interested in just parties for 4 years will be deterred by the costs involved.

I could go on and offer the idea that the cost of fees are different for each degree. Fees would be calculated by looking at the mean tax revenue from graduates of that degree. High tax revenue means that the course produces graduates who contribute a large return in revenue and are in demand, hence fees should be reduced for this course so as to produce more candidates which will be returning high tax revenue. Similarly, those courses where the tax revenue of graduates is low should have to pay increased costs as the pay-off of generating graduates from this course isn't as good.
    Unfortunately this idea comes across as quite elitist but I would bet my house that those studying Engineering, Medicine, Physics and Maths would favour this method. Those studying Archaeology, maybe not so.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

yerayeah wrote: »
    So the library will be closed??

They were talking complete shutdown so yeah I suppose.

Although I think I saw it on the news yesterday that they're not going ahead with it or something. You'd want to check around as I'm not 100%sure.

Lads the shutdown is defo going ahead! You mightnt hear about it because the UCC authorities can't know exactly whats going on.

But it is going ahead

Are you definate jerry, as we were told we have class next Monday

Lads the shutdown is defo going ahead! You mightnt hear about it because the UCC authorities can't know exactly whats going on.
    I'm just waiting for your list of who will be first against the wall when the revolution comes!!
    :D

the UCC authorities can't know exactly whats going on.

does that mean that there's some secret action planned to stop people accessing campus?

Where'd you hear that BigCheese?

Aodan83 wrote: »
    I'm just waiting for your list of who will be first against the wall when the revolution comes!!
    :D

Shut up, you're gonna be one of the first ones!! I mean... :cool:
    does that mean that there's some secret action planned to stop people accessing campus?

No it does not.
    Where'd you hear that BigCheese?

Well it looks like the teacher strike isn't going ahead, so I'm guessing students who want to walk out will be allowed to, and there'l be some actions and speakings going on. Thats my guess anyways, I'm not sure exactly since the news bout the ICTU not going on strike.

No it does not.
    Well, if he told you it wouldn't be a secret, now would it!!

Yep. Spec Ops troops patrolling the campus.
    Shoot-on-sight orders.

Watch out. ;)

• Advertisement

Yep. Spec Ops troops patrolling the campus.
    Shoot-on-sight orders.

Watch out. ;)

Was wonderin what the lads in khakis were doin scoping the place out yesterday...

Advertisement