Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dogs and cats

Options
  • 21-03-2009 8:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

my dog patch is an akita cross and i need some help hes not excatly getting on with our cat gizmo. gizmo is bout 4yrs old and patch is bout 2&1/2yrs old
    patch has stoped barking at the site of gizmo but he still chases him hes never acually caught him we keep catching him and putting on his muzzle but is he dosent stop tormenting him and making him hide ALL the time we will have to bring him back to the shelter:(

if anyone knows how to get a dog to 'be nice' then please help me

thanks in advance:pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Did you mention to the shelter that you had a cat, some will be able to tell you if dogs are cat friendly or not. Obviously not all will as not all have cats.

Dog/cat introductions can take a lot of time and you need to get some proffesional advice (from a dog behaviourist who uses only humane methods) if you are having to use a muzzle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

For a start, what about having a rule about who lives in what part of the house? My cat lives upstairs and my dog downstairs.

Don't let them be together without supervision, and when you do have them in the same room, if your dog becomes excited, just get up and put her out, quietly and without comment.

Praise her for being quiet and calm - and make the praise itself soft and soothing.

And read this article, which will give you a lot of help: http://www.clickertraining.com/node/1403

Advertisement