Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming Sleeve - Let The Work Begin!!

• 21-03-2009 8:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, looooong time no post. Hope you all are well!

So I finally have the cash to splash out on this sleeve I've been talking about for the last two years or so! And the design has come together beautifully.

I'm sorry to see I missed my chance to post in the Jani thread. And for the record, my experiences with him have been great. An excellent and very talented artist who has produced an amazing piece of work for me in the last year.

So, basically my sleeve consists of nintendo gaming characters from the past few decades. Games that I have grown up playing, and games I still enjoy.

The sleve has been designed out and it's mid proper production, the final images are being drawn out and we are trying to get the colours and backgrounds just right. The sleeve will contain:

*Mew
    *Nes Controller
    *Chun Li
    *Pikachu
    *Donkey and Diddy Kong
    *Peach
    *Three different types of Toads (Red, 1up and OMG NOT THE PURPLE ONE!)
    *Those flying red fish things
    *Goombas

And a coupla other things thrown in for the craic!

So basically, I'm on te hunt for the perfect artist for this. I will be calling into Jani to get his opinion on the work. The Chun li is the biggest part of this sleeve, and I've seen his pin up work, and it's pretty awesome. I want her to be like a manga pin up, big eyes bright blue outfit, you knnow the one!!

So if anyone has any suggestions for artists you reckon I should check out, do please let me know. Plus opinions or ideas?

Thanks,
    Em

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

You know what I'm going to say ;)

Jani hands down, I don't think you're going to get better in Ireland for what you're looking for. Just picturing everything you described and it would all work better without a black outline imo, Jani's style would be perfect. Plus aside from anything else getting him to do it will ensure that your Mew matches up perfectly with all the other characters.

He's working on a sleeve for me at the moment, I don't want to post pics til it's finished though but I ****ing <3 it already. Have another session next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Fantasy_Suicide

You know what I'm going to say ;)

Jani hands down, I don't think you're going to get better in Ireland for what you're looking for. Just picturing everything you described and it would all work better without a black outline imo, Jani's style would be perfect. Plus aside from anything else getting him to do it will ensure that your Mew matches up perfectly with all the other characters.

He's working on a sleeve for me at the moment, I don't want to post pics til it's finished though but I ****ing <3 it already. Have another session next week.

Ciatra, you're totally right. My only concern is the dodge bird I have on my neck from him. The colour is lovely, it's just not how I imagined. but I think he'd really like the sleeve idea. He's in zulu now, right? Still in the same place?

I'm gonna go up to him as soon as I have the cash (Which, depending on a very random incident, could be quite soon, woooo!) Very excited about this!

Yeah he is, Zulu has moved to Lower Ormond Quay though. It's just beside Bondi Beach now.

I remember you saying you weren't happy with the bird alright. I think the solution to getting round the issue of anything not turning out as you expected though is to just take him in an assload of pictures of the characters EXACTLY the way you want them. And I mean an assload, the more he has to work from the better. For something like that he'd almost definitely be using some of the pictures you bring as a direct template anyway rather than drawing the characters freehand, so there's no way they won't turn out as you expect them to.

Just choose one specific picture of each character that you would like to have actually on your skin, like in the right pose and everything that you want, and he'll be able to work with those and fit them in around each other in the context of a sleeve. If anything needs to be altered slightly to fit it'll be easily done once there's a base image to work from. I would still take him a load of other pics for reference though maybe with the characters in different poses and stuff so he can get a good idea of what they look like in general.

I'm excited just hearing about it!

Sorry just read your post again and noticed that you're drawing the whole thing out yourself rather than taking the images from other places. Just bear in mind that it might not fit 100% as planned when it's actually put onto skin, so you still need to have individual images available for him to work from (drawn or otherwise) :) You know all that though I'm sure.

Haha, yeah I know. Ciaran's quite the awesome cartoonist, and we've drawn the whole thing out on my arm already. So he's drawing images out and we're prob gonna cut them out to scale and stuff.

And where is Ormond Quay, lol? Tell me it's still city center

• Advertisement

Cool, sounds awesome :)

Yeah it's dead centre, it's the street parallel to the Halpenny Bridge when you're coming from the Henry St. direction. I dunno how to describe it better than that. The shop is just round the corner from Pravda.

Here I drawed you a map.

That is the best map ever!! I think I know where it is. Been a loooooooong time since I was tattooed. Almost a year now, but I think I'm ready for the big step! Thanks for all the advice, Ciara. Appreciate it hun!

xx

You're most welcome :) Would love to know how you get on!

I will keep you updated, very very excited about this!

The Chun Li sitting on the NES controller with the pikachu is the first step.

I will post pics :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Nintendo tattoo <3 isn there a fairly amazing bck piece done? cant remember where I saw it, could be worth googling just to give you an idea on how it looks :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

there's a nintendo sleeve alright

tattoo1.jpg

Ah yeah, that's been knocking around for years, if im not mistaken. Gorgeous piece of work, but there's a couple of things I'd change.

Each to their own!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,216 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I've wanted a videogame related sleeve myself for years. Good luck with it! :)

o1s1n wrote: »
    I've wanted a videogame related sleeve myself for years. Good luck with it! :)
    Thanks a mil!

It all depends on the outcome as to wether I'm entitled to a large sum of money or not. I shall find out tomorrow!!!

I'll prob cry if the money's not mine!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Thanks a mil!

It all depends on the outcome as to wether I'm entitled to a large sum of money or not. I shall find out tomorrow!!!

I'll prob cry if the money's not mine!!
    may i suggest you use my plan? family related dynamite accident! Insurance oh yeah :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Sounds AWESOME FS. I'd love to do something like that myself actually. Good luck with the money thing.
    Are you gonna just stick to the old games, or would you throw in some newer ones, perhaps later?
    Will you get them inked as they appear in the games? Like the old Mario characters were blocky, or smooth lines on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,216 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

LD 50 wrote: »
    Are you gonna just stick to the old games, or would you throw in some newer ones, perhaps later?

If it were me I'd stick with classic games. Much simpler designs. You really can't go wrong.
    In ten years time people will be looking at all those GOW & Master Chief tattoos saying one thing only -

'WTF is that?'
    LD 50 wrote: »
    Will you get them inked as they appear in the games? Like the old Mario characters were blocky, or smooth lines on them.

Actually I was considering a pixelated tattoo myself.

Love this Megaman

http://cache.kotaku.com/assets/resources/2007/09/megamantattoo.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

o1s1n wrote: »
    If it were me I'd stick with classic games. Much simpler designs. You really can't go wrong.
    In ten years time people will be looking at all those GOW & Master Chief tattoos saying one thing only -

'WTF is that?'
    And they won't say that about Mario/Pokemon et al. Personally, It wouldn't matter if people wouldn't remember any of them. I'd remember them. I cant see the Chief being forgotten any time soon though.

That Megaman tattoo is kinda cool in retro kinda way. But after seeing it, not sure I'd get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Should be a nice tattoo when you get it done, I think you're right to go to Jani as he is excellent with bright, colourful tattoos, and also sweet doing pin-ups (for Chun-li).
    Darren in Colourworks might be worth a look either, he does some nice bright pieces too. If you would consider a trip over the pond Bez from Triple 6 tattoo is one of the best tattooists I've seen recently and Paul Naylor from Indigo tattoo(in Chesire)is too good. As far as I can recall Bez is in Sunderland, both those guys would have a waiting list but are not charging superstar-prices, which is surprising considering the talent they have.

You may have seen this but could be good for some inspiration.
    http://www.mywiinews.com/nintendo-tattoos/
    http://my.mmoabc.com/article/Nik88/2141.html?login=no
    http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/galleries/video-game-tattoos-ndash-hot-or-not-/145?page=6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭truthinwords

Diceicle wrote: »
    If you would consider a trip over the pond Bez from Triple 6 tattoo is one of the best tattooists I've seen recently.

The funny thing is, a Bez tattoo is probably going to work out cheaper then a Jani one. If you go over for big sessions and add in flights + B&B it'll probably work out about the same as going to your local. Since going to conventions in England I've realised that I could get tattooed off some of the best artists in England cheaper then anyone in Dublin. Frith St for example charge between 70 and 80 an hour depending on who you go to Xam and Valerie Vargas are 70 AFAIK and Piotrek is 80.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Wow, that sound amazing. I love gaming tattoos and some of the sleeves I've seen are class. Good luck! *jealous* :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I've been thinking of getting some starman ink. Maybe 3 down the back of my arm in different colours.

Starman

Not excactly a sleeve but this seems like a good place for gaming tattoo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

You HAVE to post pics! Can't wait to see it. The only gaming tats i've planned are a pikachu and a ghost from pac-man. Best of luck with it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I always thought Mr Game & Watch's taunt from SSBM would be an awesome tattoo. The one where he's ringing the bell.

Mr_Game_and_Watch.jpg

I like the idea of Peach though, she's my character and I've just come back from a tournament where I placed 3rd with her.

Advertisement