Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Info needed on LC Spanish, Art & History

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

Thanks for replying.
    Well, I'm starting off taking higher level everything - same as JC so I suppose if I did need to drop down then it wouldn't be the end of the world.

How much homework in hrs would you be getting on average?

Em well i do about 3 hours a night and that would be homework and study included. Really can depend on homework for leaving cert, can go from bugger all one night to lot the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭ChristinaIndigo

^ Ok right, pretty much what I'd expected and am sure to expect even more.

Thanks ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Liquidsunshine

yeah i did art as well! The art really depends on the teacher you have like my teacher focused alot on the practical side of the exam and we did the bare minimum really for the written exam, and had to do alot of research on newgrange ourselves. So to get an idea you'd really need to talk to the art teacher(s) in your school or talk to people in your school doing art or people you know who have done it. Also if you're planning on dong a portfolio you probably wont get to do it in class time, and you'll probably have to do it in your own time. Again that might depend on your teacher but we were expected to do our portfolios at home. Another option would be to forget about the portfolio and do a PLC course after the leaving cert! thats only if you're thinking of applying for art colleges of course. You could always sdo the portfolio over the next two years, but bear in mind colleges like NCAD have specific briefs so you would need to be pretty careful! My advice is talk to your art teacher!!!:)

yeah i did art as well! The art really depends on the teacher you have like my teacher focused alot on the practical side of the exam and we did the bare minimum really for the written exam, and had to do alot of research on newgrange ourselves. So to get an idea you'd really need to talk to the art teacher(s) in your school or talk to people in your school doing art or people you know who have done it. Also if you're planning on dong a portfolio you probably wont get to do it in class time, and you'll probably have to do it in your own time. Again that might depend on your teacher but we were expected to do our portfolios at home. Another option would be to forget about the portfolio and do a PLC course after the leaving cert! thats only if you're thinking of applying for art colleges of course. You could always sdo the portfolio over the next two years, but bear in mind colleges like NCAD have specific briefs so you would need to be pretty careful! My advice is talk to your art teacher!!!:)

Cool cheers. :D

You are all really helpful - who needs guidance councillors when you have you lot ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭manutd4life

i loved history at junior cert level and got an a in higher level at the junior cert.i'm doing it for my leaving this year at higher level and it is very hard.a lot of essay writing.the amount of information you must know is unreal and it can be pretty boring.

but if you like history and you want to do it,do it.dont let something that we tell you put you off doing a subject.if you like the subject,do it

• Advertisement

i loved history at junior cert level and got an a in higher level at the junior cert.i'm doing it for my leaving this year at higher level and it is very hard.a lot of essay writing.the amount of information you must know is unreal and it can be pretty boring.

but if you like history and you want to do it,do it.dont let something that we tell you put you off doing a subject.if you like the subject,do it

Yeah, see, that's the thing. I am genuinely interested in the subject and want to take it all in. I like being able to inform others about things that have happened in the past - especially where Ireland is concerned.
    I think that even if I failed miserably at it - it's still probably going to be the subject that I'd regret most not doing.
    Even if I only take in a fraction of what is taught, I'll be happy.

I'm beginning to think that there's no point what-so-ever in me picking subjects for "points" if I'm completely miserable for the two years I have left. I'm going to live for the moment, look at the economy right now, people that have gone to college and got amazing points for LC are finding it extremely difficult to get jobs.
    Everyone is in the same boat right now so instead of concentrating on the thought of college, I'm going to follow my heart ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭arthistory

I do art and while I enjoy it, it can be really frustrating. The art history is boring and there is LOADS of it, although you are usually safe just doing one or two chapters from each section (although the chapters themselves are pretty long.)

The practical exams are a lot of pressure but i suppose if you practise loads it would help. I'd love if it could be like the junior cert.

That said, i really love practical art classes, they are an escape from the usual cramming of information. If you are good at the practical side and genuinely enjoy it, then don't let the art history put you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Toad-Girl

History is a really tough subject and A's are rare...But most people fall down because they either don't like Irish History or can't write essays! If you are genuinely interested in the subject do it!! Actually liking the subject is one of the most important bit! Just be prepared to work in 5th year! Start practising essays early and you'll be fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

I'm a leaving-certer from last year, I did Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Spanish and Art as my optionals.

I can't help you much with the history side of things - a did it for junior cert, got an A in it, and considered taking it for Leaving Cert. What put me off was the subject matter - I've always found ancient history - the Egyptians, Romans, Mesopotamians, Mayans, Shoguns, Celts, Normans e.t.c. - far more interesting than the modern history offered by the Irish LC history course. So that ruled that one out for me :) It sounds from your posts though that you're fairly passionate about history, so even if the course scope is limited, and the essays can be trying, what hey!

There was a subject clash in my school- Physics versus Art - I chose Physics, with Applied Maths thrown in for good measure at lunchtimes, but by Christmas of 5th year I was fed up and miserable. I liked Physics, hated Applied Maths, and regretted not taking Art so much. I went to my Art teacher, who had taught me for JC Art also, who went through the course with me, section by section, and suggested that it might be possible to study the course outside of school.
    Which I ended up doing, so it is possible. It's hard, but if you genuinely have an interest in the art history aspect of things, and are even slightly visually inclined, it's easier. It was my favourite subject, and I got a B1 at higher level in the end.

Spanish, I've studied for 6 years, and I adore it. I think that if you've studied it since 5th class, it's worth keeping that up. Japanese is well and good, but I would view that more as a pastime than an ocupation for senior cycle. As another poster already highlighted, the course is concise, very manageable, and the language itself (perhaps with the sole excpetion of the subjunctives) is logical and intrinsic. I got an A1 in June, with not so much work - just reading El Pais every now and again, listing to the Spanish radio stations at the weekend - and I'm going to study for my degree in Spain in September!

Anyway, this post is getting too long and offtopic, so, the moral of the story is too obvious to be a moral, but nevertheless worth restating: do what you like.

Good luck !

Thank you all very much. You've all proved so much help!
    I am handing in my form tomorrow and am going with my heart.
    I'm not taking a science - but, I'd rather be happy than saying "right, well, you have to do this for college etc". So, I'm going with my gut intinct rather than what I should be doing.
    So, it's: Spanish, History, Art & Geography as my options.
    I'll just have to work extra hard to ensure I pull this choice off. One way or another though - I'll be doing what I enjoy ;)

Thanks everyone, couldn't have done it without you :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement