Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BSG 2003 S4E20/21 'Daybreak Part 2/Part 3' ***Spoilers***

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

well, of course, the nearer to our time the easier it is to fit this theory into something or other and like him or loath him RDM painted himself into a corner in the end and i think he made as good an ending as any.

i am also aware that the civilisations in chariot of the gods are only a couple of thousand years old as well and i would imagine that "Creative Consultant/Producer" Glen A Larson should have pointed this out to him.

but anyway, in an effort to reply to your points..... the names have surived, in some form as terms only. not only do they not refer to the colonies location in the night sky - they cant. aren't the 12 colonies in one star system??? that was the impresion i got over the last year or so - not 12 systems, and indeed not the dozens of star sytems we need to complete all of our zodiac.

as for fire, agriculture.... it can be forgotten, or indeed, stored as a memory to be used again - Brian Aldiss' Helliconia books used this theory.

as for accents and stuff....

...ok.... i do admit the basic fact that we actually evolved (maybe, all right there God?) on earth may be slightly punching a hole in my otherwise correct arguments....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ArNosNaGaoithe

as for fire, agriculture.... it can be forgotten, or indeed, stored as a memory to be used again - Brian Aldiss' Helliconia books used this theory.

someone else who read Helliconia! It's really great, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

'tis indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I just watched all the 2009 eps back to back, I was saving it all up for a marathon day and just had it. My Gods ...it was fantastic.

I'm incredibly sad now that it's over, seeing Galactica's "back break" was harrowing, as was seeing her get absolutely hammered when it jumped over the colony. It was such an investment to watch BSG for me, I'm definitely not usually a space sci-fi show watcher, Star Trek, Stargate etc are all lost on me, but this show was special. Frak that, it was sublime.

The Chief getting retribution, Rosalin dieing on her final flight, The Opera Theatre, Angels and Divinity were all epic moment but what truly got my jaw hitting the floor were the Starbuck bits - when she played that tune and turned to see what we'd just realised was her father was gone, a ghost. When she put her own picture on the wall I misted up a bit. When Lee turned to see she was gone but most of all.. when Adama and her said their goodbyes

Starbuck, what do you hear?

Nothing but the rain.

Then grab your gun and bring in the cat.

Those three lines, just :(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Does Adama's and Starbuck's parting have any meaning / relevance outside the BSG universe? I know they have the same exchange at the start of the miniseries, but it seems like quite an odd thing to say and I'm just curious if is from anything else IRL?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Not sure about any real world relevance but the phrase is first uttered back in the Razor flashbacks between Adama and the Viper chick he was sleeping with. So maybe its a Colonial military thing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Rewatching season 4 now has started to make the spiritual resolution in the finale seem a little less sudden and is starting to make more and more sense.

Looking at the episode Escape Velocity and there's a scene where Batlar is trying to pass a marine to lead his people back into their home and after being knocked down repeatedly, Head Six literally picks him up (there is a cut to Baltar, completely limp being lifted by some invisible force) which for me cannot be explained any other way other than that Head Six is an actual Angel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Branoic wrote: »
    Does Adama's and Starbuck's parting have any meaning / relevance outside the BSG universe? I know they have the same exchange at the start of the miniseries, but it seems like quite an odd thing to say and I'm just curious if is from anything else IRL?

"that thing that adama and starbuck say:
    "morning starbuck, whatdya hear?"
    "nothin' but the rain."
    "Grab your gun and bring the cat in."
    my friend and I have made up our own little meaning/interpretation for it, and use it on a pretty regular basis (parts of it). but what does it mean to those characters? and how did the writers come up with it?"

I came up with this in the miniseries, and it's essentially a riff on contemporary marching chants or cadences used in the military called, "jodies." You've seen them in films: the platoon is marching or jogging along and the drill instructor sings out something like, "Up in the morning in the rising sun/Gonna run all day 'til the running's done," and the platoon either repeats the lines or adds the next line in the jodie. They range from the funny to the deeply profane and I remembered several of them from my NROTC days while I was writing the mini. In that opening scene, Kara is jogging through the corridors of Galactica and Adama greets her with a line that is a reference to an old jodie that presumably each of them remembers from their own training. So it's kind of an in-joke reference that they share with each other which probably in turn has some even deeper private joke between the two of them. I never wrote out the entire jodie, but I liked the nonsensical nature of the lines and thought it was more effective to suggest the cadences without spelling them out.

http://blogs.scifi.com/battlestar/archives/2005/07/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Watched the final episode(s) last night and I thought they were a bit disappointing

Just meh to be honest.

Loved the all the series but thought there was a lot of nonsensical things in the last episode

Really? I just watched the final episodes again last Sunday and absolutely loved them, again.

Just spent the last two months watching the entire 4 seasons back to back. Started off trying to get my missus into watching "that silly sci-fi", and half way through season one she was hooked and demanded that we watch 2 - 3 episodes a night!

Everything was just as brilliant second time round as I remember, and now that's all over after our two month marathon, our lives feel empty again :( Come on The Plan!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Rascal77

Probably old news, but did anybody notice a fly by from serenity in the scene where Roslin meets with the doctor in Caprica?As the camera pans down from the glass cieling it flies over.Saw it a while back but forgot to post.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

It was in the pilot too, that'd be two appearances...

Cool.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Rascal77 wrote: »
    Probably old news, but did anybody notice a fly by from serenity in the scene where Roslin meets with the doctor in Caprica?As the camera pans down from the glass cieling it flies over.Saw it a while back but forgot to post.

Yea, that was known to a lot of browncoat fans, :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,394 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Sorry but what is the second episode? Is it not just the mini-series then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

particularly Starbucks (seriously WTF was that?! )

jesus did it.

God did everything else

jesus did starbuck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

I was hoping for the blame to lie with the Flying Spaghetti Monster myself...

I don't get peoples problem with the whole "god did it" thing. Yes, it would have been a complete cop out if they'd pulled that out of nowhere, but they didn't. Watching through all four seasons it's clear that the devine influence element was a massive plot point. It's mentioned in practically every second episode. I think some people just don't like it cos they consider themselves "hardcore" science fiction fans where the "science" bit is emphasized, and don't want anything supernatural, mystical or devine.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I think some people just don't like it cos they consider themselves "hardcore" science fiction fans where the "science" bit is emphasized, and don't want anything supernatural, mystical or devine.

Well as I said earlier in this thread, my issue is not with supernatural, mystical or divine but with consistency

I addressed it directly here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59530855&postcount=140

Essentially Galactica sold its religous elements up until this point as a god of coincidence. He used madness and luck as a cover to push the events a specific direction.

And then in the last season he just goes f*ck it, here's Jesus, he's a chick now and she's leading you home.

it didnt fit with what went prior.

As sad professor said. Deus ex machina is lazy solution.

• Advertisement
Advertisement