Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nascar

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭tifosi 1

Personally I like Mr Busch and his antics. He comes across like a personable guy. I actually respect the fact that he avoids media when things go wrong ala Kimi Raikkonen on this side of the Atlantic. It shows that hes human and upset and probably won't be able to control what he say's on TV. Of all the drivers in Nascar only a handful come across with any personallity which I think any motorsport needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

He won the race and was presented with the trophy which was a hand made Gibson guitar. After accepting the guitar Busch attempted to smash the guitar.

Sounds sorta shocking. Haven't seen it though.

Only been getting into the sport this year so wouldn't know too much about the personalities of the drivers. He done a good interview in the Coca-Cola 600 when it was washed out and made me like the guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I dunno, different strokes and that, despite being into metal etc. I never "got" the whole smashing your own stuff up thing. :P

I've seen very few drivers interviewed tbh, but I've a feeling I wouldn't like Kyle. :P JJ seems like a gent though.

What an ending at Michigan!

Mark Martin wins it!

EDIT: NASCAR Sprint Cup Driver Standings
    1 -- Tony Stewart
    2 -- Jeff Gordon
    3 -- Jimmie Johnson
    4 +1 Kurt Busch
    5 -1 Ryan Newman
    6 -- Carl Edwards
    7 -- Greg Biffle
    8 +5 Mark Martin
    9 -- Kyle Busch 1860
    10 +2 Denny Hamlin
    11 -3 Matt Kenseth
    12 -2 Jeff Burton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

That was quite a finish. First Biffle runs out, then Johnson (who incidentally made it to pit lane to get a quick splash to make it over the line - sure he gained no positions but was still technically on the lead lap!)

And another top 10 for Montoya - here's hoping he can get the win at Sonoma!

Kasey Kahne wins at Sonoma :)

Apparently Kyle Busch ain't happy after last week, would love to know what he expected when he weaved in the lead.:rolleyes:

Looking forward to the race at Chicagoland starting soon.

Would like to see JP Montoya have a few strong runs to solidify his place in the Chase. :)

amacachi wrote: »
    Apparently Kyle Busch ain't happy after last week, would love to know what he expected when he weaved in the lead.:rolleyes:

Looking forward to the race at Chicagoland starting soon.

Would like to see JP Montoya have a few strong runs to solidify his place in the Chase. :)

Kyle having it tough the last couple of races, see him at Chicagoland? Ouch.

Chicagoland -
    Great win for Martin, happy for him after crashing out last week. :)

Glad this is back, feck I was lost weekend with no F1, IndyCar or NASCAR.

Great start for Montoya today, how kickass would it be for him to finally win a Sprint Cup race, especially at Indy. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gs39t

I was so mad last night. Montoya was robbed. I utterly hate Jimmie Johnson

If he did speed in the pitlane he has no-one to blame but himself. If it's another mistake by NASCAR I can't wait for the fallout. :pac:

Johnson is just too good. When he's in the top 4 towards the end of the race all he needs to win is a caution.

gs39t wrote: »
    I was so mad last night. Montoya was robbed. I utterly hate Jimmie Johnson
    Agreed. JP got robbed. JJ didn't deserve the win, if anything MM.
    If he did speed in the pitlane he has no-one to blame but himself. If it's another mistake by NASCAR I can't wait for the fallout. :pac:

Johnson is just too good. When he's in the top 4 towards the end of the race all he needs to win is a caution.

According to NASCAR, he was over the 5mph leeway in two of the eight sections - by 0.14mph and 0.23mph or something. Such a small margin and they called him for it. Fine, I can deal with that.

What I can't deal with is the fact it has come to light that SIX people sped in pitlane over the course of the race and yet only JP was penalized. B*stards.

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Agreed. JP got robbed. JJ didn't deserve the win, if anything MM.

According to NASCAR, he was over the 5mph leeway in two of the eight sections - by 0.14mph and 0.23mph or something. Such a small margin and they called him for it. Fine, I can deal with that.

What I can't deal with is the fact it has come to light that SIX people sped in pitlane over the course of the race and yet only JP was penalized. B*stards.

He deserved the penalty then, though plenty of others did. I've never actually found out, is a speed limiter banned or are the teams too lazy to develop one? Also what the hell was he at, I mean he was 4/5 seconds ahead, no need for it.

Trouble with JJ is that he does deserve it. Can't see past him for the Cup tbh, he's just too good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gs39t

He deserved the penalty then, though plenty of others did. I've never actually found out, is a speed limiter banned or are the teams too lazy to develop one? Also what the hell was he at, I mean he was 4/5 seconds ahead, no need for it.

A pitlane speed limiter doesnt mean crap when you enter pit lane over the speed limit. Pit road speed is set on the pace laps, and is different for every track. I suppose limiters are banned otherwise everyone would have them - why take a chance otherwise. Most people get nailed for too fast on entry or exit, rarely at the timing lines between

There is a 5mph buffer the teams are allowed. Pit road speed was 55mph at Indy, and Montoya was clocked at 60.11mph.

Teams aren't allowed to have a pit-speed limiter, and what makes it harder is that there's no speedometer, so they have to try and guess what their pit-speed will be by basing it on a certain RPM gauge. Obviously you get fluctuations while trying to stay steady at that speed, hence being over in two segments on pit road, rather than entering or exiting.

• Advertisement

Carfax 400 (MIS) -
    Brian Vickers

Sharpie 500 (Tennesse) -
    Kyle Busch

Pity about Kyle Busch not making the chase.
    Ah well, chase starts next week, I'm gonna say either Jimmie Johnson or Carl Edwards. Neither's been going well for a while though.

Missed the last 2 races, what a shock to check Wikipedia and see Johnson having won them. :pac: He's just too good.

To be frank, Johnson winning everything during the Chase just bores me to death...

Can he not learn to be, y'know, **** for once?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

The seemingly consumate ease that Johnson pulls away from the field sometimes is frustrating alright. JJ is a nice guy, but I'd really like to see JPM or Mark Martin take the fight to JJ this year....fingers crossed.

• Advertisement

The seemingly consumate ease that Johnson pulls away from the field sometimes is frustrating alright. JJ is a nice guy, but I'd really like to see JPM or Mark Martin take the fight to JJ this year....fingers crossed.

Aye it's nothing against him but a semi-disasterous next race for him wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. I do think he/his team are just too good tbh, always do what they need to when they need to.

http://www.justin.tv/crazyodaz/popout

Amp Energy 500, great stuff so far. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Amazing crash with Ryan Newman! Gonna be a restart with 3 laps to go - thisll be insane

Thankfully he's ok, was a bit worried to say the least when he didn't respond on the radio.
    Typical JJ getting up to 6th somehow, probably could've done even better again without the wreck on the last lap.

NASCAR really need to cop themselves on after today's race, so lucky everyone was ok.

****tie Johnson increasing his points lead again :mad:

TheChrisD wrote: »
    ****tie Johnson increasing his points lead again :mad:

He really is a ****er for that, where did he end up, 6th? Had the race finished he probably would've gotten higher too. He/his team are just too damn good tbh.

JJ finished P6, whereas Martin, Gordon and Monty finished 28th, 20th and 19th because they got caught up in the last wreck.

Crazy race last weekend, Kyle Busch nearly did an unprecedented 3 wins in on the same track in one weekend but ran out of fuel and lost the race to his brother. More importantly, a little bit of pressure on JJ this wkend at Phoenix because he got taken out 3 laps into the race last week, took over an hour repairing his car and finished 38th :eek: Let's hope Martin wins for a second time there this year and JJ has another "accident" :D

Just a headsup everyone, Ford 400 starting soon on Sky Sports, last race of the Season. 25th or better guarantees Jimmy Johnson winning his 4th title in a row, something that hasn't been done before, a miracle gives 50 year old Mark Martin his first title. JJ starting on pole so I doubt he'll take it too easy, no sense falling back through the field and putting himself in danger.

Great race and congrats to JJ for making history. Loved the Stewart/Montoya bust ups too :D

• Advertisement

Congrats to Jimmie.

Another great milestone for Jimmie - he was voted Associated Press' Athlete of the Year http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/unrestricted/entry/view/48605/as_johnson_gets_his_due,_nascar_does,_too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭lmmoonbeam1976

Long, boring post warning....

Ive always been partial to NASCAR myself, moreso since I've moved to the US and have a chance to work with the teams and learn about ovals (complete head***k for someone whos raced and worked on cars on circuits). I think the internet is helping (a little) to get it more international acclaim, as more people have (informed, intelligent) discussions, they are starting to realise that its nothing like keeping the hammer down and turning left, theres a lot more to it than that.

Still, you get idiots on both sides ones over here that see F1 as pansy boys driving remote control cars and F1 fanbois that think that driving an oval is easy. Well, actually it is, so is "driving" an F1 car, but driving it competively amongst a field of other drivers is hard. Suffice to say, everyone who has raced in circuit racing and then driven on an oval has commented on how surprisingly difficult it is.

Of course some things suck about it, digger is a PITA, the races are pretty long but theres usually some decent crashes and dicy moments. Usually ill watch a race while working, grilling or something. Also part of what I like about NASCAR is the humility of the drivers, behind the scenes is much less pretentious and more friendly than F1 and many forms of "european" racing. It reminded me of my Karting days, everybody knows everybody, much more of a community feel.

As for the race today, its anyones guess, thats what I like about NASCAR the most its difficult to accurately guess who is going to win a race.

/Rant over....boogety boogey boogety!

hey SOUPER , what teams you worked with or work with presently ??

Advertisement