Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

very VERY VERY Random Cheque

Options
  • 21-03-2009 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭

Hey guys.

Bit of a weird one here. I recieved a cheque for a substantial amount of money from a lady I have never heard from in my life.

I am not sure what I should do next? I'm concerned it might have been a stolen cheque book and someone sent me the money? I don't know.

Anyone have any advice for me?

Thanks
    Emmie

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Bring the cheque to a branch of the issuing bank and see if the cheque book has been reported stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Fantasy_Suicide

Aye, I was gonna call them on monday.

And if it's not.....? Like I googled the name, an it came up with a bebo profile of a 25yr old girl who lives on leeson st, the place the chq came from.

And if it was stolen, why was it sent to me? I don't have any friends. Well I don't have very many!! Or Enemies. I think....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Did you try contacting the person you found on Bebo.

Won't let me cos I'm not a friend? Haha, I recently put up an add requesting donations cos I'm strapped for cash on my profile, joking obviously!

But my profile is private. And the cheque was sent to my grandparents address, which I haven't lived at in about two years. I'll be devastated if its not for me!!! That's all my debt problems solved in one go! With enough left over for a hair cut!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Expect nothing so you wont be disappointed, dont "spend" the money in your head already as, more than likely there will be something amiss with the situation. Could be some sort of scam too (somehow!) you never know, but best to check with bank first and get it straightened out.

• Advertisement

Yeah I know, but you can't help but think of the possibilities!!

I've spent it in my head already on this:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055518285

So fingers crossed it's like work money owed to me or somethin. It's just weird it didn't come with a letter or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

expect a call from this guy anyday now:

fonejacker.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The simple fact is we rarely get lucky like that in life. Get in touch and find out why you received that cheque.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭livvy

Hey guys.

Bit of a weird one here. I recieved a cheque for a substantial amount of money from a lady I have never heard from in my life.

I am not sure what I should do next? I'm concerned it might have been a stolen cheque book and someone sent me the money? I don't know.

Anyone have any advice for me?

Thanks
    Emmie

Please let us know the outcome - i'm bursting to know how you got on....... and give a rough idea of bucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Lodge it in a high interest account and start earning on it anyway.

• Advertisement

I will of course. Gonna call the bank on monday. And once I find out if it's mine or not then I'll spill. But it's a nice little sum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭strongbluebell

Could it be conscience money? Someone who stole from you or cheated you in the past trying to make amends now? Hardly a mistake if the cheque is payable to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Could it be conscience money? Someone who stole from you or cheated you in the past trying to make amends now? Hardly a mistake if the cheque is payable to you.

Possibly from "Earl J. Hickey"???

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If it's a very large sum the bank will ask the same questions you are asking.

spurious wrote: »
    If it's a very large sum the bank will ask the same questions you are asking.

Well it's a large sum for me, not in the banking world it's not. It's between 1k and 2k. Soit's a fairly decent amount. I dunno, I was going back thro my emails, and there's this letting agency I have sent my nan's address too. It's the only place that would have that address for me in recent times. I sent that person a mail with my address only two weeks ago.

It's such a mystery

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

Haha :D
    krudler wrote: »
    expect a call from this guy anyday now:

fonejacker.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Well it's a large sum for me, not in the banking world it's not. It's between 1k and 2k. Soit's a fairly decent amount. I dunno, I was going back thro my emails, and there's this letting agency I have sent my nan's address too. It's the only place that would have that address for me in recent times. I sent that person a mail with my address only two weeks ago.

It's such a mystery

Send the cheque back to the issuing bank. They can get it back to it's owner. It's obviously not yours, and is more than likely part of a scam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Is it a Bank Draft or a Cheque ?

Cheques won't clear if there isn't any funds in the account.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

Almost certainly some sort of scam, its probably a counterfeit cheque! I was reading about similar things the other day and a few people received these types of cheques, cashed them and were then held accountable for fraud. The bank should be able to check it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭country_gurl

so is it yours to keep? *waiting in suspense*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Don't lodge it until you work out where it came from. I had a weird situation a few years ago where about a grand went into my account, then out a few days later. When I checked my statement it showed a cheque being lodged, which then bounced because the account was closed (no idea who lodged the cheque, or why my account). They sent the cheque back to me, I'd never seen it before or heard of the person it was from.
    What really annoyed me was that I then got hit for about a 4 quid fee from my bank because the cheque bounced, which seemed daft to me but when I checked it was listed on the bank list of account charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Big Wave

Who would be dumb enough to think a random cheque for a large amount mailed to you out of nowhere could be legit? It baffles me that anyone in this thread is even entertaining this ridiculous notion! It's clearly fraudulent in some form, and there is a 0% chance the OP will be able to cash it & keep the funds.
    This is Consumer Issues isn't it? Is there anybody here with common sense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

No real harm in lodging it though. If it's not legit, the bank will sort it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Sean_K wrote: »

The bank will also charge you for the courtesy, and they won't sort anything. I received a stolen cheque once and the bank returned it to me (for all they knew, I could have been the one who stole it).

The issuing bank will know it's status, so like I said, return it to them.
    Big Wave wrote:
    Is there anybody here with common sense?
    Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Sean_K wrote: »

And charge you for it.

Advertisement